Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Croaker

Newcomer, willing to join Doom community. Any directions?

Hi everyone! I recently discovered classic Doom  and it's huge modding community and got really caught by it.
Right now I finished the original game, downloaded a few mods I like and it's going to be enough for a while, but I am interested, how big the active part of the community actually is?
Are there any big names, worth checking out? Any modders, still active, or more or less full multiplayer servers?
What forums/social media are the most active at the year 2023?

6 hours ago, Croaker said:

Hi everyone! I recently discovered classic Doom  and it's huge modding community and got really caught by it.
Right now I finished the original game, downloaded a few mods I like and it's going to be enough for a while, but I am interested, how big the active part of the community actually is?

I think the most well known mappers are the Cacoward winners from the last few years and DoomWorld is the most active community.

On 5/20/2023 at 2:09 PM, Maximum Matt said:

What's your opinion of TNT?

:-)

Absolute delight until you get to like MAP16 then feel the pain for a few maps.

On 5/18/2023 at 6:44 PM, Croaker said:

Are there any big names, worth checking out? Any modders, still active, or more or less full multiplayer servers?

I myself do not play any multiplayer but if you're interested you should probably check out the pinned threads in this subforum:

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/5-multiplayer-doom/

What a "big" name is will always be a bit subjective but I can recommend the works of mouldy (take a look at Overboard for a short one) and Skillsaw (his most famous work is probably the megawad Ancient Aliens). Another one of my favourite mappers is Ribbiks whose wad Sunlust is really dear to my heart. I'd probably recommend to start this one on the lower skill levels and try UV only after a first playthrough - but that's just me. 

There is lots of other good stuff out there, just browse the Cacowards a bit! :)

On 5/18/2023 at 7:44 PM, Croaker said:

forums/social media are the most active at the year 2023?

Doomworld (this forum) and the ZDoom Forums are probably the most active, if you want to learn more about Doom and its community, try going to Doomwiki!

On 5/20/2023 at 3:09 PM, Maximum Matt said:

Be nice. ;P

Also welcome!

1 hour ago, Al-Faris M said:

Doomworld (this forum) and the ZDoom Forums are probably the most active, if you want to learn more about Doom and its community, try going to Doomwiki!

Note on this, I would advise avoiding for the ZDoom forums if you can. Shit's hit the fan over there and I certainly would NOT recommend it for newcomers.

1 hour ago, OpenRift said:

Note on this, I would advise avoiding for the ZDoom forums if you can. Shit's hit the fan over there and I certainly would NOT recommend it for newcomers.

It has been weeks now and all is quiet on the ZDoom front. It gets built back up and that's that.

I am not one to easily say this, but this post really reads like fearmongering. The monsters underneath the bed are gone folks, depending on who you ask if they were monsters to begin with!

On 5/18/2023 at 12:44 PM, Croaker said:

Also, check your PM for more links.

30 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

It has been weeks now and all is quiet on the ZDoom front. It gets built back up and that's that.

I am not one to easily say this, but this post really reads like fearmongering. The monsters underneath the bed are gone folks, depending on who you ask if they were monsters to begin with!

Regardless of what happened over there, I think it's not really a beginner friendly forum like Doomworld is.

3 minutes ago, OpenRift said:

Regardless of what happened over there, I think it's not really a beginner friendly forum like Doomworld is.

I mean..

Well...

I honestly can't say at this point haha

On 5/20/2023 at 8:09 AM, Maximum Matt said:

80% Dog shit 10% okay and 10% Good

13 hours ago, OpenRift said:

Hmm, okay. However I think if a beginner would carefully read and comply to the forum's rules they wouldn't have that much of a hard time there.

On 5/20/2023 at 4:09 PM, Maximum Matt said:

To be honest, I think most of TNT was good and the rest of it was OK in terms of quality.

I guess I should have checked it more often... Completely missed anything but the first reply

On 5/20/2023 at 9:09 AM, Maximum Matt said:

You mean, TNT Eviultion?
I am not sure what you're talking about

20 hours ago, AdNauseam said:

I myself do not play any multiplayer but if you're interested you should probably check out the pinned threads in this subforum:

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/5-multiplayer-doom/

What a "big" name is will always be a bit subjective but I can recommend the works of mouldy (take a look at Overboard for a short one) and Skillsaw (his most famous work is probably the megawad Ancient Aliens). Another one of my favourite mappers is Ribbiks whose wad Sunlust is really dear to my heart. I'd probably recommend to start this one on the lower skill levels and try UV only after a first playthrough - but that's just me. 

There is lots of other good stuff out there, just browse the Cacowards a bit! :)

Thank you! I am going to look at these

17 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

What even happened in there? You have made me really curious

3 hours ago, Al-Faris M said:

Hmm, okay. However I think if a beginner would carefully read and comply to the forum's rules they wouldn't have that much of a hard time there.

To be honest, I think most of TNT was good and the rest of it was OK in terms of quality.

Thanks, I will read these ASAP.
EDIT: oh, these were for ZDoom forum. I thought it was about Doomworld

6 minutes ago, Croaker said:

What even happened in there? You have made me really curious

That really bears no repetition other than saying some staff got replaced and resigned.

3 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

That really bears no repetition other than saying some staff got replaced and resigned.

From OpenRift reply, I thought it was a classic "toxic community" case.
But it sounds kinda... serious

17 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

bagdad-bob.jpg

One thing worth knowing is that DW has a multi-quote feature:

image.png

You press it on some posts you want to respond to and this pops up:

image.png

And then you press that, and the quotes appear with enough space for you to insert your cursor between them and reply to everything conveniently in one post. From what I have observed, people who make five posts in 3-4 minutes for what should be one post generally get a "reputation" around here. :P

Merging your five consecutive posts into one. 

51 minutes ago, Croaker said:

OpenRift is kind of an alarmist idiot and shouldn't be taken seriously. Every major Doom forum/community has had bad actors at some point, including here. Go where you will, lurk for a while, and judge for yourself.

1 hour ago, baja blast rd. said:

image.png

image.png

And then you press that, and the quotes appear with enough space for you to insert your cursor between them and reply to everything conveniently in one post. From what I have observed, people who make five posts in 3-4 minutes for what should be one post generally get a "reputation" around here. :P

I am not sure if I should answer to a reply, telling I am replying too much, but I'll remember that. I used to avoid forums, so I was not familiar with this.

Join IRC chat like a true doomer and spam 24/7 how awesome your WAD is and how /idgames sux because they won't accept your coolTM WAD.

Wads and mods section is a great sub-forum to check out on-going community projects, dev threads about wads, mapset discussions, or even music projects aswell. You can play-test, check out, discuss or even make maps.
Doom general is another sub-forum to discuss Doom in a more general term rather than just talking about wads.
If you are new to editing maps, feel free to ask any doubts you have at the Editing section.
The other pretty frequent section is "Everything else" where we kind off relate to other people in an offtopic sub-forum, talking about, you know, everything else.

Discord servers are mostly for stream communities or wad projects, I don't think there are many public Discords of Doomworld users so far.

Other forums that talk about Doom? None that I care, welcome to Doomworld, the biggest one in terms of specially talking about Doom, feel free to do whatever is inside the Terms of Service and meet people online.

The community is always active, depends of the time of the year, sometimes the forum is pretty quiet, but never dead, and I must say, right now is at one of those historic peaks in terms of active members because of MyHouse.wad, so don't worry, every single year new things come from here.

4 hours ago, Croaker said:

It does.

If you really, really want to know, just PM me instead. This thread doesn't need to draw attention to it.

EDIT:

3 hours ago, segfault said:

bagdad-bob.jpg

Please take your attempts at drama elsewhere, preferably the theatre.

21 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

The monsters underneath the bed are gone folks, depending on who you ask if they were monsters to begin with!

They were. Let us not forget what happened.

4 hours ago, baja blast rd. said:

image.png

image.png

SHIIIIIIIT!!!! I've been here for years at this point and only now I learned how to quote multiple posts at once... Like, damn. The more you know!