Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Csabo

Editing forum FAQ

Boris (and other moderators):

Isn't it time we had an FAQ at this forum? Those two current ATTN: messages at the top are definitely interesing, but I think it would be better to replace it with a message that would answer some of the more common questions. E.g.: Where can I find a doom level editor? We've heard this question sooo many times. It should list the Big Two (DeepSea and WadAuthor), the other two that's still developed (Why and XWE) and the classics. (Plus link to the utilities list, although it's so outdated. Who do I have to bug to update the XWE link? It's two versions behind and why does it say it's only 47K?!)

It should also mention the editing guides here at DoomWorld and some of the various other FAQ's (e.g. the ZDooM Knowledge base, etc).

A sticking closed thread linking to the tutorial pages and to any existing threads (kind of like the fan fic index) would be less work and would take advantage of the detailed threads on various subjects people have already made. It would also diminish the number of threads repeating information. On other grounds, and probably more importantly, users should be educated to use the forum search engine; there's often people making questions that have already been answered.

That's actually a very good idea. What else would you like to see in this FAQ (maybe you could also post links)?

Andre is still working on Yadex, but he hasn't released anything in a long time.

The FAQ should say that if you use Linux, Why and Yadex are the only editors that work.

Fanfix/fanpix have their own index threads, why not indexes for editing and wads & mods?