Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chao-G

My First Ever Doom Map - BloodHalls.wad

Hello everyone, I have been playing Doom for the past 20+ years but somehow never tried my hand at mapping, until recently. This is my first ever map that I made without following any tutorials (just some general guidelines) so this map reveals some obvious gaps in my knowledge, but I think I might have come up with interesting enough ways to do things. The difficulty level is moderate as it contains some challenging encounters, but it should be no problem for anyone who plays Doom even semi-regularly. I also think I might have made things a bit too dark since I tried doing different things with the lighting, and a bit too linear, but hey, it's mt first attempt. Level play time of around 5 minutes.

Name: BloodHalls

Map Format: Doom 2 with UDMF (that is what I selected in Doom Builder X)

Ports Tested: GZDoom

IWAD: Doom 2

Map(s): MAP01

Music: No new music

Gameplay: Single player

Difficulty Settings: No (all difficulty settings have the same Things)

Multiplayer Placement: No

Build Time: idk, around 20 hours? Most of it was about getting familiar with the interface.

Textures: Default

Requirements: Hardware Renderer w/ Dynamic Lights enabled

Download: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1UzaWt1Vy8RS3Jg11kXkkgn1QiNxeaxrM?usp=sharing

928068096_gzdoom2023-05-2117-11-23-258.jpg.490a3b430dae33c767da2f36e97fe0b0.jpg1341749466_gzdoom2023-05-2117-12-53-029.jpg.7337afb4463af661ce82f269c7a7f11c.jpg15267839_gzdoom2023-05-2117-12-33-341.jpg.9e4acbe26e3fbd904d5771c4f2becfda.jpg895671351_gzdoom2023-05-2117-14-38-246.jpg.e2a17092fdb349694c0b77113bc38f67.jpg

I agree with Scrappy, it's not bad! I see potential in your career please keep making new maps, I enjoyed this one :)

16 minutes ago, ScrappyMcDoogerton said:

Not a bad first attempt, I would like it more if there were secrets to find, but I think you just missed tagging the berserk room as a secret?

Thanks for trying it out! I intended it to be a secret but I was not sure what else I was supposed to do aside from marking the linedef at the entrance as "secret" while editing it. Maybe if I had gone through some tutorials, I wouldn't have left certain things for trial-and-error. You may have noticed there are no doors of the usual kind either.

Just now, Pezl said:

I agree with Scrappy, it's not bad! I see potential in your career please keep making new maps, I enjoyed this one :)

Thank you. I definitely intend to continue making maps. I'll also follow a few tutorials and figure out things that I wasn't able to properly do here, like make doors.

2 hours ago, Chao-G said:

Thanks for trying it out! I intended it to be a secret but I was not sure what else I was supposed to do aside from marking the linedef at the entrance as "secret" while editing it. Maybe if I had gone through some tutorials, I wouldn't have left certain things for trial-and-error. You may have noticed there are no doors of the usual kind either.

Secret sectors need to be tagged as such I believe.

Fun enough for a first map for sure! A bit too much ammunition for the kinds of fights taking place here, but in terms of layout and gameplay, this was enjoyable for a first map. After some more experience and investigating some tutorials, you'll definitely be able to produce some better maps. I look forward to more maps from you!

Good map. Nice progression, and a good eye for detail which is a serious accomplishment for a small map like this! Although....please replace D_RUNNIN if you're doing a map like this

Fun and good looking map for a first effort. The only issue I encountered was on my first playthrough the way back to the exit teleport didn't lower, I'm not sure why as I didn't really investigate but after reloading the level and playing through again everything opened up correctly. I would definitely tag that berserk pack as a secret, or double check your line as it didn't activate as a secret for me either but I thought that was intentional until reading your post. Look forward to playing more of your maps.

10 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

Good map. Nice progression, and a good eye for detail which is a serious accomplishment for a small map like this! Although....please replace D_RUNNIN if you're doing a map like this

Thanks so much for your feedback! Looking at your run of the map, I realized I might have relied too much on dynamic lighting in dark areas. I will rectify this (in this map and future maps). I'll change the music too.

3 hours ago, HorseJockey said:

Fun and good looking map for a first effort. The only issue I encountered was on my first playthrough the way back to the exit teleport didn't lower, I'm not sure why as I didn't really investigate but after reloading the level and playing through again everything opened up correctly. I would definitely tag that berserk pack as a secret, or double check your line as it didn't activate as a secret for me either but I thought that was intentional until reading your post. Look forward to playing more of your maps.

Thanks! I will try to replicate the bug. Which source port were you using? I only tested it in GZDoom 4.10 so there could be some inconsistencies with how things function.