Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

the CMOS is clear

well instead of takeing this thing back to best buy and waiting 4 months, I took it apart. The CMOS is on recall, well if u cant flash it. the error is rather nasty too. if u use a password at boot there is a chance it would 'forget' the password, thus makeing boot impossible.
clearing a CMOS should be simple, right?

well not with a compaq laptop. It took me forever to figure out how to get 'under the hood' without damageing the laptop. well after 4 hours of toying and investigateing the case i found a way in. however i had to take just about every thing out of the laptop to find the tiny CMOS battery. after i cleared the bastard i flashed it. in the end i found it is rather easy to get into this laptop, that is once you know how.]

words of advice, if u have a compaq(even if it is not a laptop) check to see if there is any CMOS issues. the compaq site said a number of their computers had this and a few other nasty bugs. had it been a tower it would have not been a big deal.

Hehehmm. You should have gone with Dell. I once phoned tech support because of the LCD being loose at the left side, and they insisted on sending someone to our place to fix it.

o_O

I hope there is no problem with my CMOS, because I have no fucking clue about CMOS batteries, and this is really my only computer.

I had to flash the bios of my Compaq Presario so it would retain changes made in the BIOS menu. At first I thought it was just the CMOS battery, but changing it didn't help.

AndrewB said:

Hehehmm. You should have gone with Dell. I once phoned tech support because of the LCD being loose at the left side, and they insisted on sending someone to our place to fix it.

Dude, you're getting a technician!

the_Danarchist said:

o_O

I hope there is no problem with my CMOS, because I have no fucking clue about CMOS batteries, and this is really my only computer.

CMOS - Carbon Metallic Oxide Semiconductor (I think)
Purpose: Provides lasting small power supply to maintain BIOS settings in what would be otherwise volatile memory.

You are welcome. :P

Ultraviolet said:

CMOS - Carbon Metallic Oxide Semiconductor (I think)
Purpose: Provides lasting small power supply to maintain BIOS settings in what would be otherwise volatile memory.

You are welcome. :P

Um...I already knew all that. I just have no clue what to do with it if it stops working (besides getting a new one, and I know from personal experience that sometimes those bitches are soldered into the board).

If you haveing troulbe with CMOS its thime for a new comp. I ahve had CMOS proplems come back and they ware worse then the fist time.

A CMOS error is nothing a new motherboard wouldn't fix. But I had to clear the darn thing several times before it started working without malfunction.

AndrewB said:

A CMOS error is nothing a new ***CMOS BATTERY*** wouldn't fix. But I had to clear the darn thing several times before it started working without malfunction.

Right on!
Well, I guess it depends on what the problem is. Most of the time it actually IS just the battery.