Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DavidN

RAMP 2023 - Rabbit's All-Comers Mapping Project [RELEASED!]

I just found a quick way to make the passage,

go to the map and then go to refuge and then go to the hubmap and then repeat

Is mapper Crab Hermit the same as Hermit Crab in the first RAMP? I presume so.

Is mapper Motobug the same as A-Motobug in the previous two RAMPs? I presume so.

Inconsistent mapper credits are a PITA for the wiki. :\

2 minutes ago, Xymph said:

Is mapper Crab Hermit the same as Hermit Crab in the first RAMP? I presume so.

Is mapper Motobug the same as A-Motobug in the previous two RAMPs? I presume so.

Inconsistent mapper credits are a PITA for the wiki. :\

You are doing the Lord's work

LANGUAGE.rampart entry:

MAP231AUTH = "Ash LB Ash4AshAsh10Ash online shethey";

was apparently a mangled entry for "Ash LB (Ash4Ash/Ash10Ash online) she/they"

which itself is way too mangled for the wiki, so reduced there to the wiki user account variant.

Although that differs from the Doomworld variant... using a whole gamut of aliases is frustrating for the wiki, too.

@DavidN: the PK3 was updated as recently as this Monday, to v1234b. Will there be any further updates?

If maps are changed after their wiki pages and cropped map views have been generated, that would result in double work. So Dynamo and I need to hold off on that until the release is stable. Please let us know.

Edited by Xymph

12 hours ago, Xymph said:

LANGUAGE.rampart entry:

MAP231AUTH = "Ash LB Ash4AshAsh10Ash online shethey";

was apparently a mangled entry for "Ash LB (Ash4Ash/Ash10Ash online) she/they"

which itself is way too mangled for the wiki, so reduced there to the wiki user account variant.

Although that differs from the Doomworld variant... using a whole gamut of aliases is frustrating for the wiki, too.

@DavidN: the PK3 was updated as recently as this Monday, to v1234b. Will there be any further updates?

If maps are changed after their wiki pages and cropped map views have been generated, that would result in double work. So Dynamo and I need to hold off on that until the release is stable. Please let us know.

I fixed it myself on the wiki from the spelling in game to how I originally typed it 🙃

Heyo Doomworld, been a while! I played a couple of RAMP after seeing David's playthroughs, my two cents in case people want to play some maps but not everything:

• MAP60: My first map :D by Kurtis Gibson: holy bleep I want to get into mapping but if THIS is what new mappers ditch out nowadays I don't know if I want to... well-polished portal based map with a six-key secret that drops you into... well something you don't want to be in when portals are involved. Luckily the map works. Kudos.
  • MAP110: 'Trapdoor' by thelokk): pretty good but also flawed: visually and conceptually amazing, but it has some design flaws unless I missed obvious stuff. It's a 'choose your path' kind of map but choices are a bit limited. Rocket Launcher is unobtainable yet tagged as secret so no UV-Max. Choosing Chaingun first is messy, facing a single Chaingunner and Archvile with the pistol only. The yellow skull platforming is horrendous for just a Megaarmor later on. I want to be more positive, but the playing experience was a bit frustrating.
  • MAP119: TNT Fortress by King Starhowl: wanted to see this for myself as David ended at the Hell Knight wave and it felt like just a few encounters were left. That's true, and the back and forth concept in this map is okay but it's a bit on the spammy side enemy wise. Still, with some proper planning a 5min UV-Max, well worth it, even for the visuals alone.
  • MAP159: 'Stealthy Does It' by Gakoo: amazing concept with a bit of a crude execution, visually not that much has been done. I really like the "you won the stealth course, have fun killing everything".
  • MAP172: 'I'm in that weird part of Hell again' by DogsRNice: Cyriak MIDI, keep running until you get the goodies and blow everything up. That everything includes legs... just play it. Awesome map, though a bit crudely textured.
  • MAP176: A Very Brief Key Hunt by JustPlayn10: typical but above average difficult tech base with some clashing styles. Wanted to do some secret hunting in this one, and the Keen secret is very creative. Solid 5min adventure.
  • MAP247: El Chavo del Doom: Doomguy na Vila do Chaves by The Royal We: the point is an awesome tribute to a family member and his favorite show, using Myhouse-based trickery that's a tad bit on the scary side. Well constructed and a good example of how to use it right. Spend 40 minutes on this and it was amazing.

A few that I still want to play are Four Comas as David barely scratched that I think, maybe also Duck Nukem (I mean it's Pistool and flabbergasted at the concept, but I seen it in full) and probably Crazed Moon because of Nightwish and relaxed slaughter. David and contributors thanks for an amazing mapset, ranging from quick and easy solid maps to mind-boggling adventures and (micro)slaughter.

Addition:

• MAP34: Four Comas by dawnbreez:
    Spoiler

This Myhouse tribute (potentially from the same mapper(s)?) involves going through what I'd expect a portion of the Winchester house. It starts normal, you loop once to another version of the house but D_RUNNIN keeps playing. If you do it again however, the music stops and then the you know it starts hitting the fan. See my breakdown here.

Edited by Qoko

@Xymph Thanks for checking in and preparing for this incredible undertaking! The last two fixes have been script bug fixes (hence no version number update, just a suffix). No further map changes are expected. If anyone tries to submit any more updates to me this late I will beat them away with a rake

We've seen many levels from many mappers, but each time DavinN finishes RAMP, there are at most two maps from him - the tutorial video map and the hub map.

And you're the one who made K7K! How about making challenging maps of your own for RAMP 2024, but making them accessible only during certain milestones in numbers of finished maps made by other mappers?

Start thinking about it early, if you want 2024 to be an even bigger blast than this one!

I have some ideas for ramp 4, 

1. A library map that I am working on.

2. A lesbian love story mainly using scripting for everything.

3. A map where you infiltrate the Disney vault and there is a boss of Mickey Mouse with an AK-47.

Four Comas breakdown.

WARNING: this is spoiler heavy for map 34 'Four Comas', both the text and playthrough!

Spoiler

As I've previously posted, Four Comas is a Myhouse tribute and for as far as I can see it's based on the Winchester house. You obtain a Winchester rifle and the texture style in that version of the map is reminiscent from the style of the era.

You start in an OTEX base that you explore normally killing monsters, obtaining a blue and red key, and stepping on a teleport pad. You loop around to a more medieval hellish kind of version, obtain the blue and red skull. The pad teleports you back to the OTEX base and then D_RUNNIN cuts out. The looping repeats so you'll have to explore to find other versions of the map (similar to Myhouse). If you start exploring early you can enter other versions early which prompts the music to swap to D_COMA as well.

The point of the level is to trigger either of the six endings, of which two are bad, one is halfway, one is secret and two are good? I guess. The good endings prompt when you get seven items that you can see in the ritual room in the Winchester house, what's normally the armory section in OTEX. The secret is to kill all twelve Keens. The other three endings occur either if you screw up royally, or do it right but not quite.

Versions of the house:

Spoiler

I've checked UDB a bit to see how the mapper defined areas).

1. OTEX
  2. Mirror (OTEX)
  3. Winchester
  4. Hellish
  5. Mirror (hell)
  6. Blank (completely white with an immortal eye)
  7. Undefined (uses 'untextured' textures)
  8. Flooded (concrete water-flooded)
  9. Dark (black void-like horror area)
  10. Silver (silver-based modern area with RL)
  11. IKEA (IKEA warehouse with a Chainsaw and Keen)
  12. Dentist (DOOM-ish outdoor area that functions as a ress)
  13. Fireblu (press a button in the OTEX courtyard to corrupt it, this triggers the Dead base so do this last!)
  14. Techbase (classic techbase, ress and take the Hellish pad)
  15. Dead base (enter OTEX after Fireblu (except when you come from IKEA!) and you lock yourself in a Dead base ending)

Item and Keen locations (I highly suggest exploring first yourself):

Spoiler

Item order LTR on the pedestal:

1. Pills > pad in Blank
  2. Crystal > start in Fireblu (do this last)
  3. Gun > offices in Dark
  4. Snake > courtyard in Winchester
  5. Plastics > offices in Silver
  6. Fuel > storage in Dentist (this is bugged, Snake won't spawn but will count)
  7. Book > pad in Flooded

Items that don't count:

• Target > pad in Undefined. It also says it's not implemented, probably WIP.
  • Scuttle > pedestal in Winchester, just to know what you're looking for.

Keens:

1. OTEX: courtyard just in front of the button pillar
  2. Mirrored OTEX: above the Fireblu button
  3. Winchester: bedroom (missable, as this is replaced by the bathroom exit when you engage with the Snake)
  4. Hellish: bathroom behind a hidden wall, opposite of the mirrored Keen
  5. Mirrored hell: bathroom, opposite of the hidden Keen
  6. Blank: one of the offices
  7. Undefined: armory/Winchester teleporter
  8. Flooded: right of the pad, hidden (red stain is visible)
  9. Silver: right of the pad, same as flooded but visible
  10. IKEA: one of the side isles
  11. Dentist: in the courtyard to your left above at the armor
  12. Fireblu: left side of the bathroom

Endings I've gotten so far and the maps' secrets to get 100%:

Spoiler

Endings in reverse priority order, assuming you didn't kill all Keens (that always prompts Sans), brackets is item count:

1. Dead base (<5): trigger Fireblue, get back to OTEX and it's a dead base. Get on the pad to exit. Bad ending.
  2. Classic techbase (<5): die and revive and take the Hellish pad to teleport to the techbase and finish it. Bad ending.
  3. Myhouse Dog (5-6): collect five or six items and take the Hellish pad. Moderate ending.
  4. Sans: kill all Keens and take the Hellish pad (possible during Final lap for 100%). Secret ending.
  5. Final lap (all): collect all items and take the Hellish pad. Not spoiling Final lap. Good ending.
  6. Final lap+: step on the Hellish pad during 'Final lap' (without all Keens killed). Run. Best ending.

Secrets:

1. The exit sector of the 'Final lap' endings.
  2. In the dentist bathroom (the ress area) there's a Berserk behind the flesh wall.

Small guide to 100%:

1. Go through all areas but Fireblu and collect all items (including Berserk!) and leave at least one Keen alive.
  2. Enter Fireblu and get the Keen and item before returning (else you lock yourself to Techbase or Dead ending).
  3. Trigger Final lap, kill the AV (keep killing him, he splash damages himself).
  4. Run the lap killing all enemies and tag the exit secret.
  5. Kill the final Keen(s) and take the Hellish pad.

You end with Final lap followed by the Sans ending: the other three endings don't allow for 100%

Edited by Qoko

@Clippy ah, fellow Pizza Sim fan I see?

I loved that you used mightnight motorist for the AMD map

Okay, adding three more unrecorded playthroughs, slaughtermaps this time:

• MAP07: Twilight Devil Mansion by JJBoren: I played this after Crazed Moon because I noticed JJ's taste for music (WT on this one!). This is probably the hardest of these three, a wide open spaced castled with sub-400 monsters, shouldn't be too hard right? You're constantly being chased, the set piece encounters are very difficult (bit Revenant/AV spammy at the end). I didn't single segment this, in fact I cheated but that's because it's way too late here. Awesome atmosphere yet again, and this one is better on the difficult side compared to Crazed Moon.
  • MAP82: Crazed Moon by JJBoren: this is definitely in the category 'on the easy side' for slaughter, but honestly, with this MIDI and the atmosphere who cares. From a gameplay perspective, the circlestrafe-win could be prevented a bit by having larger enemies spawn in all inner circles. It'll still be possible, but just a bit more difficult. The existence of Pain Elementals kind of makes it that you have to be on edge for most of the run. Don't stop though, and you'll likely win. Ah well, map wins it on aesthetics and atmosphere anyway.
  • MAP181: The Circle of Death by ONETAPPYBOI: oof. I did single-segment this but a good example of thought of encounter design. First wave, no problem. Second wave, ouch but if you use cover well you should come through. Third wave... *bleep* me. I tried a couple of approaches but the only thing I could think off is fire two rockets at the AVs and escape, then just tactically try to lure them out. Once I got this I finished it because you have enough space to maneuver, though I still almost died in the final wave as it's chaos incarnate. Fun ~15min.

Edited by Qoko

I have completed RAMP 2023s metagame and I thought I should share my map recommendations. Note: these recommendations are based on my personal preferences and your mileage may vary. Also I have not played every map in the meg... gigawad so I most likely have missed some great maps.

006 - The Loose End
By Handsome Fridge
Length/Difficulty 5/3

A good looking map that makes a good use of lightning effects. Combat is solid as well.

070 - Rev vile and cyber spam: The map!
By epicyolomaster420
Length/Difficulty 1/5

A neat little slaughtermap.

090 - Power Bomber
By Chookum
Length/Difficulty 2/4

Nice looking arena map with solid combat.

095 - Crimson Jet Keep
By Heich AKA DynamiteKaitorn
Length/Difficulty 2/5

Beautiful and explosive little map.

145 - Cold Storage
By Space Grass
Length/Difficulty 2/3

A frozen tech base that makes excellent use of lighting to create atmosphere.

163 - WOW This Looks Like a Great Place for Girls to Kiss
By HiMyNameisChair
Length/Difficulty 4/5

Gorgeous map with hectic combat.

171 - Fedenil Station
By RobertF
Length/Difficulty 3/3

A frantic map with a great layout and a banger of a midi.

181 - The Circle of Death
By ONETAPPYBOI
Length/Difficulty 2/5

A quick and fun slaughter map.

184 - Rockets From the Crypt
By Rook
Length/Difficulty 2/4

A nice little rocket launcher centric map.

194 - Deep Into The Machine
By LVENdead
Length/Difficulty 3/4

Awesome looking map with some great and tricky combat.

241 - The Haunted Mansion
By The Box
Length/Difficulty 6/4

A neat map that makes an extensive use of GzDoom features and the map almost feels like its own total conversion mod.

258 - One Doomed Marine
By Osswald
Length/Difficulty 3/4

A beautiful tech base map. Combat wise this map is for the most part rather chill, but it's still competent enough.

271 - Crumbling Castles
By Lazlo Panaflex
Length/Difficulty 5/3

A massive level with excellent visuals and few tricky encounters.

286 - Tiny Tangle
By Rita Remton
Length/Difficulty 3/5

A challenging map that makes a good use of scripting and 3d floors.

288 - Solar Outpost
By ChippiHeppu
Length/Difficulty 1/5

A beautiful little arena map. Combat can be frantic but the map isn't crushingly difficult.

293 - Trash Masters
By HiRon
Length/Difficulty 4/6

A slaughter map with a healthy amount of enemies and BFG ammo.

On 8/17/2023 at 11:25 PM, DavidN said:

@Xymph Thanks for checking in and preparing for this incredible undertaking! The last two fixes have been script bug fixes (hence no version number update, just a suffix). No further map changes are expected. If anyone tries to submit any more updates to me this late I will beat them away with a rake

20230822230541_1.jpg.0f4b8a873f6766cac6a2b3a9e935c578.jpg

sadly these textures right outside of the start of map 172 will never be aligned lol

13 hours ago, DogsRNice said:

20230822230541_1.jpg.0f4b8a873f6766cac6a2b3a9e935c578.jpg

sadly these textures right outside of the start of map 172 will never be aligned lol

JUST. PRESS. A.

PLEASE.

MY OCD IS KILLING ME JUST SEEING THAT.

57 minutes ago, Ash4ash said:

JUST. PRESS. A.

PLEASE.

MY OCD IS KILLING ME JUST SEEING THAT.

I did

on every other area of the map

multiple times

somehow I just missed the most obvious spot

11 minutes ago, Clippy said:

Is there a @SoulSphere in the house?

I didn't even need milk after this - nice short map needs more spice

eduardo said the megasphere tastes something like gatorade or blue lemonade BTW

Four Comas by Dawnbreeze (Map 34) messed me up real nice. Consider this line of text my standing ovation.

It's been a while since I've shared these in this thread although I'm still plugging away at the RAMP roulette series. Always a delight to be surprised at what turns up next.

Since I wasn't able to fix this in one of my maps in here, due to the project releasing beforehand I made a standalone release of the fix and am posting a link to it here: 

(fixes the issue of some teleport destination spots that are suppose to appear on easy, medium and hard being flagged hard only)

Edited by epicyolomaster420 : Fixed typo

MAP208 is definitely temperamental and I'm not sure exactly what crashes it - try altering your renderer (software/hardware/Vulkan/OpenGL) or options.