Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DavidN

RAMP 2023 - Rabbit's All-Comers Mapping Project [RELEASED!]

Has the deadline already passed?

Cause I kinda want to make a map that goes way more into darkness and height differences cause I am bad with those things.

3 minutes ago, Raith138 said:

Yup, it was June 30th

13 hours ago, Raith138 said:

Cause I kinda want to make a map that goes way more into darkness and height differences cause I am bad with those things.

My advice: go ahead and make one anyway. Then either or it out there yourself or wait for a project storage to submit it to.

I feel like it would be fun to post some interesting facts about maps we submitted.

map 88 "Union Aerospace Construction Zone" was my first map, I started it way back in January and incrementally worked on it for a few weeks, and I resumed work on it after RAMP was announced. First submitting it once I finally added the exit after the yellow door. It was always intended to be a UAC office but I decided on the construction theme later in development since as I improved at doom mapping the quality of the environment got better within the map itself, so I decided to treat the STAR textures as if they were the unfinished walls and made a few walls with partly installed cladding. I also couldn't figure out how to use the 3D floors yet so the upper floor of the large room is actually just linked with portals, I spent a long time making them as aligned as possible but some of the walls are at a weird angle so two of the windows are off by a few units.

there's also an among us character hidden somewhere in the map

map 172 "I'm in that weird part of Hell again" was actually inspired by my current Rimworld game and a ui element in the on screen display in my mothers car, at least the overall shape of it. In Rimworld I currently have a round swamp peninsula surrounded by mountains which is what inspired the landscape and the ui element is what inspired the segmentation of the map (it's made of a few layers of segmented rings with some layers having more than others, though for my map I decided to make it completely round. I also wanted to make a more surreal area so I made it a volcanic swamp with apparently ancient looking structures that actually have modern technology in them (and a spontaneous bathroom somewhere). And some tech base elements that are meant to look like they're not supposed to exist. You also leave on a rocket that was made from the test exit I placed before I finished the encounters. I wonder what space in hell is like... As for the gameplay I wanted to make it a lot less "serious" so I added a custom enemy from realm667 (the possessed legs) and made the final encounter where tons of monsters teleport in be full of them, so if you're going for 100% completion you'll have to hunt down a hoard of wondering legs. 
Also there's a lizard in the map layout I accidentally made, I changed the ground textures in the eye to make it stand out more rather than fix it.

also not my own map but according to David the keypad in the hub actually makes accurate DTMF tones when you use the buttons.

Edited by DogsRNice : Forgot this part

short mean little map by @Nootsy-Nootsy - those monsters were used to their maximum potential in placement - what a rush, save scum city - cant wait to see DavidN play this one

More ramp action with surprise guest and author @CBM 

This map had some silly stuff but also some impressive doom cute  

I somehow missed the playthrough of my 2nd map (MAP173) when it got uploaded the other day, but caught it now! Glad you enjoyed it! I have a request for anybody who has time and/or is interested. I would like some feedback on how that map is to max. I have a titular "Hard To Find" secret, and Idk how obtuse it is. If anyone can try it out, let me know!

Also, a side effect of me making the 2 maps I did for this was it caused my dad to finish the Doom 1 map he started in the mid 90s. He couldn't finish it back in the day cause the editor wouldn't let him add more to it (I'm assuming he hit vanilla limits), so when he saw me make these maps, he pulled out the old floppy disc with his map on it, downloaded Doom and UDB, and started playing around in the editor. He thinks the map is done now, but I haven't played it yet for feedback, but it's cool that after like a 25-year break, he was finally able to finish it!

1 hour ago, TJG1289 said:

Also, a side effect of me making the 2 maps I did for this was it caused my dad to finish the Doom 1 map he started in the mid 90s. He couldn't finish it back in the day cause the editor wouldn't let him add more to it (I'm assuming he hit vanilla limits), so when he saw me make these maps, he pulled out the old floppy disc with his map on it, downloaded Doom and UDB, and started playing around in the editor. He thinks the map is done now, but I haven't played it yet for feedback, but it's cool that after like a 25-year break, he was finally able to finish it!

This is legit one of the most awesome things I have read on these forums - thanks for sharing it, and thanks to @DavidN and all contributors for making it possible.

Anyone else getting the following error when attempting to open the beta in GZDoom:

script error, "ramp2023-beta.pk3:sndinfo.159" line 2: missing string (unexpected end of file)

14 minutes ago, MBison said:

Anyone else getting the following error when attempting to open the beta in GZDoom:

script error, "ramp2023-beta.pk3:sndinfo.159" line 2: missing string (unexpected end of file)

It sounds like you need to update your GZDoom - I’ve been running it on 4.10.0

OH SHOOT!

I PUT IN THE WRONG MAP!

IT PLAYS MAP 31 INSTEAD OF 01!

MAP31 IS A JOKE MAP I MADE!!

SHOOOOOOOOT

23 hours ago, DavidN said:

It sounds like you need to update your GZDoom - I’ve been running it on 4.10.0

That fixed it, thanks!

Something's definitely weird with MAP208, some people are able to play it fine and others crash immediately! What version of GZDoom?

@The Royal We hey there - nothing could have prepared me for this today lol -it was a roller coaster - and what it became - it's actually amazing bud - This was an experience I will remember for a long time, and I never replay maps - but I may revisit this some day - there was so many details and comedy packed in - sorry I cheated at one point lol - but wow what a ride

Mad kudos bud

@Palindrone  

I get it now palinDRONE as a robot who makes palindromes with a cat body concealing the robot parts based on your av 

I didn't get much sleep last night 

I like Indiana Jones 3 better than 2 

This is hella juiced. Can't wait to get into it soon!

So far and not a dull moment to be found. Really impressed with the variety of this grab bag. I'm also intrigued by this meta game that's starting to unfold. I took some time off from playing Doom (thank you Path of Exile) but this has been a great way to get back into it.

@Meyland12 

Cool map I got more and more interesting as it went along 

The tiny guy trick was interesting sorry I fudged that up at first 

Also when I was fighting the thing and it took a shield the whole game crashed and I had to reload it weirdly 

Don't know where the hiccups and that final winter showdown was cool too good times 

What a strange and delightful grab bag this continues to be. The Haunted Mansion is one of the most unique maps I've played in quite some time, and incredibly shocking to find that The Box made it in like 2 weeks!

On 7/16/2023 at 5:23 PM, Clippy said:

@The Royal We hey there - nothing could have prepared me for this today lol -it was a roller coaster - and what it became - it's actually amazing bud - This was an experience I will remember for a long time, and I never replay maps - but I may revisit this some day - there was so many details and comedy packed in - sorry I cheated at one point lol - but wow what a ride

Mad kudos bud

Thank you kindly!

I was watching your video again and realized a few details that I think are interesting to answer, however it contains spoilers for those who haven't played the map yet:

Spoiler

You said at some point that you leave GZDoom features in your maps, but try to keep a vanilla aesthetic. I tried to do that in my first two maps as well, but in this third one I decided to take more creative liberties (although trying to keep a certain vanilla spirit). I imagined that the decision to give more health to the monsters, for example, would be controversial (I usually don't like it myself), but the intention was to give "more screen time" to each monster and at the same time create a different link between the player and the sprites he is already familiar with.  

"For a second I thought it was a penis" (17:30)

Originally the path was much more phallic, until I realized it and tried to make it more sinuous and infinity-shaped. Apparently I was unable to fix it hahah

"Some guy's head... for some reason" (20:40)

Spoiler

Edited by The Royal We

Here are my 100% playthroughs of my maps. The locations of secrets are time stamped in the descriptions.

MAP007:

MAP074:

MAP082:

Edited by JJBoren