Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Almighty Egg

Adrian Carmack texture sketches

I'd never seen these before! I'd always wondered what the source for the pipes and the BROWN textures were.

Neat, though now I suddenly find myself wanting a hand-drawn textures mod.

Seeing more of Adrian's artwork is like one of those free-Taste Test Stands at Walmart. I don't know if he still resides in Dallas as his LinkedIn page says, which btw has a killer profile pic. I bet that's his true form and the way he looks in photos is just a skin suit he uses to blend in with humans.

Also, "Adrian Carmack Painted Textures Doom Mod" when? ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

So adrian carmack drew these texture on wall?

man that guy is talented.

This is a great find, thanks for showing us!

If there is a startan painting, I'd pay top dollar for it

I hadn't seen these until you'd shared them recently in a thread I had made. Honestly it really explains a lot about how Doom's textures look the way they do.

Woah, high-resolution traditional sketches used as a basis for a low-resolution texture.

Huh.

As a pixel artist myself, this really does make me think.

Oh man, these are glorious to look at. Makes you wonder just how many more unused or scrapped textures Adrian drew in that old sketchbook. I'm glad he held on to it.

Man, I can now imagine someone in the future finding these and putting them on a museum.

"Now this right here, is the STARTAN! Sketched by the unidentified Adrian Carmack. This is truly a wonder for artists, it shows us a set of wall paintings with blood and machinery, surely it must be from a thousand years ago."

You can see that the concept he had in his head was very different from the way the Doom levels ended up looking, even though the textures look quite similar to his original sketches. If that makes sense.

It's like they have lost some sketcheness during downscaling and palette adaptation. Some parts were moved fro and about and then some lights and shadows drawn in an image editor. I'm pretty sure Doom would look more like the paintings tone wise if not 256 color limitation. What a great find!

On 5/25/2023 at 7:11 PM, whatup876 said:

Looks cool.

I hope ZeniMax doesn't screw Adrian over after what happened to Romero.

What happened to John Romero?

30 minutes ago, Kyka said:

What happened to John Romero?

They replaced him with an holographic NFT.

Edited by user76828904 : typo

remember guys, we have so much hindsight here; challenge anyone here to fit all the textures, etc. {WAD} on to 5x DD 3.5" floppies... again... and run on a 486 in a reasonable time limit...