Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nicolas monti

Knee deep in 2023: Now on Idgames!

E1M3

I'm not sure whether I enjoyed this as my first experience. I tried it a second time to find that it starts to get better with each attempt.
The design seems overall okay, I like the way you have spliced some parts together. There are texture issues that need to be fixed.
The room layouts are mostly consistent while some having unfair gameplay hindances. The overall style is nice to see.
My main problem was trying to nagivate this map. It needs to be more clear where I need to go.

12 minutes ago, LukeJR said:

E1M3

I'm not sure whether I enjoyed this as my first experience. I tried it a second time to find that it starts to get better with each attempt.
The design seems overall okay, I like the way you have spliced some parts together. There are texture issues that need to be fixed.
The room layouts are mostly consistent while some having unfair gameplay hindances. The overall style is nice to see.
My main problem was trying to nagivate this map. It needs to be more clear where I need to go.

Any particular section where the texturing seemed odd?

2 hours ago, LukeJR said:

There are texture issues that need to be fixed.

This is a nicholas monti map, that doesn't help by itself :P.

10 hours ago, Bobby "J said:

This is a nicholas monti map, that doesn't help by itself :P.

In fact, I'm so used to my own aesthetics that I pass over the need of transition textures sometimes, as long as there is an angle.

Hola querido!

Me alegra que estes creando un nuevo episodio para el doom1 

Tu trabajo siempre es de calidad

Saludos y que sigan los exitos.

1 hour ago, FEDEX said:

Hola querido!

Me alegra que estes creando un nuevo episodio para el doom1 

Tu trabajo siempre es de calidad

Saludos y que sigan los exitos.

Gracias vieja, este episodio está siendo gestado en Morón city, a puro mate. Pensando en los mapas que quedan por hacer.

On 5/30/2023 at 6:30 AM, nicolas monti said:

Gracias vieja, este episodio está siendo gestado en Morón city, a puro mate. Pensando en los mapas que quedan por hacer.

Ehhh, sos argentino? :) 

El wad se ve muy bien! La vibra del E1 está súper bien capturada. Además, en general no me gustan mucho los ángulos rectos en los mapas, y en los pantallazos no veo prácticamente ni uno :P 

Voy a bajar el wad y lo testearé durante el finde. De ahí te posteo los videítos.

1 minute ago, Fernito said:

Ehhh, sos argentino? :) 

El wad se ve muy bien! La vibra del E1 está súper bien capturada. Además, en general no me gustan mucho los ángulos rectos en los mapas, y en los pantallazos no veo prácticamente ni uno :P 

Voy a bajar el wad y lo testearé durante el finde. De ahí te posteo los videítos.

Yes, I'm Argentinian, una paja este país.

I stick to the grid sometimes but my general style is tallness and non-orthogonal angles as your alias depicts.

I've already done a couple of E1 episodes, one in 2013 and other one (with just 7 maps) in 2019 as a part of a megawad but I wanted to do more, this time with a more profuse use of mid textures, more ominous tallness and some care for E1 textures not so used in my other E1 episodes. It is never the same so I do not consider I'm repeating myself with this wad.

Not using crates, support3, compohso, shawn variants and other textutes often seen in pwad E1 maps, just shareware textures.. sure, I'll make a final revision in case some non-E1 texture sliped in.

espero esos videos :)

These screenshots look amazing! I'll play this one once it's done as I dislike playing unfinished productions. Can't wait though. Is it limit-removing or vanilla?

How difficult will this be compared to your other episodes? I found Rupture rather challenging...

5 hours ago, slowfade said:

These screenshots look amazing! I'll play this one once it's done as I dislike playing unfinished productions. Can't wait though. Is it limit-removing or vanilla?

Intended for vanilla but I bet it will crash due to visplane overflow so I recommned any limit-removing port.

5 hours ago, Firedust said:

How difficult will this be compared to your other episodes? I found Rupture rather challenging...

Not as the original but more spicy, perhaps like Romero's E1M4 and E1M8 with some shotgun guy rape in dark places. The bestiary is limited so the space is key to make the monsters threatening.

Sorry it took me so long! Not a lot of leisure time lately :P Here's map03 (had to stop at some point because I got a call, that's why it's split in two). There's some written commentary en español in the video!

Spoiler

Finally got around to play this. Nice work! A really solid set of levels so far (played E1M2-M7). M3, M6, M7 are probably my favorites. I like the mix of cramped tense combat and big open spaces. M5 and M7 especially had some good close encounters stuff where I almost died in cramped hallways and the gameplay was tense, which I liked since the bestiary is just the E1 basics. Not that it's a crazy difficult wad or anything, just that good level design can make the basic E1 assets fun and tense to play even in 2023. I also love Doom 1 vanilla-ish wads so I am admittedly biased.

Only thing I'd mention, which has already been mentioned, is there are a looooottttt of texturing issues. I mean, the original Doom has them, and I don't think it's a big deal overall, but maybe a light pass to fix a few of them could be worth it. Especially on big walls with lots of tiling. I only mention this because otherwise it's actually a well done wad when it comes to the visuals, with some great use of E1 assets and creating engaging environments. Gameplay is king and the level design is really fun, but there's a lot of nice visual moments.

Overall great stuff, looking forward to your final E1 maps (M1, M8, and the secret M9 I assume?)

EDIT: Oh, @nicolas monti do you plan to add a dehacked so the level names appear correct in the game for both the overhead maps and end screens?

E1M1: Lis, ready for playtesting!

https://www.mediafire.com/file/phb63ld543dpvlz/KDITD27.wad/file

22 hours ago, Fernito said:

Sorry it took me so long! Not a lot of leisure time lately :P Here's map03 (had to stop at some point because I got a call, that's why it's split in two). There's some written commentary en español in the video!

Reveal hidden contents

thanks for the video, I've fixed that secret triggering linedef and replaced the chaingun in the secret alcove with a back pack, it was just a mistake.

it was really funny to see comments in my language (la parte de "me hicieron bolsa" me hizo cagar de risa, más bien te hicieron p*ja). Some secrets are really hard to find, look for a shooting switch in almost every map.

19 hours ago, Captain Keen said:

Finally got around to play this. Nice work! A really solid set of levels so far (played E1M2-M7). M3, M6, M7 are probably my favorites. I like the mix of cramped tense combat and big open spaces. M5 and M7 especially had some good close encounters stuff where I almost died in cramped hallways and the gameplay was tense, which I liked since the bestiary is just the E1 basics. Not that it's a crazy difficult wad or anything, just that good level design can make the basic E1 assets fun and tense to play even in 2023. I also love Doom 1 vanilla-ish wads so I am admittedly biased.

Only thing I'd mention, which has already been mentioned, is there are a looooottttt of texturing issues. I mean, the original Doom has them, and I don't think it's a big deal overall, but maybe a light pass to fix a few of them could be worth it. Especially on big walls with lots of tiling. I only mention this because otherwise it's actually a well done wad when it comes to the visuals, with some great use of E1 assets and creating engaging environments. Gameplay is king and the level design is really fun, but there's a lot of nice visual moments.

Overall great stuff, looking forward to your final E1 maps (M1, M8, and the secret M9 I assume?)

EDIT: Oh, @nicolas monti do you plan to add a dehacked so the level names appear correct in the game for both the overhead maps and end screens?

thanks for the feedback, I'm aware of the texture fancyfulnessm, it's just my style. nevertheless I go too far sometimes, so I'll be willing to "fix" some here and there if you point the particular ones you feel too weird, if you mean the tall brown one with the stains I'll leave it like that, I love how it looks.

I'll be adding the dehacked file and the map names!

Screenshot_Doom_20230606_042724.png

2 hours ago, nicolas monti said:

thanks for the feedback, I'm aware of the texture fancyfulnessm, it's just my style. nevertheless I go too far sometimes, so I'll be willing to "fix" some here and there if you point the particular ones you feel too weird, if you mean the tall brown one with the stains I'll leave it like that, I love how it looks.

I'll be adding the dehacked file and the map names!

Yeah, I got the sense that was kinda your style. I actually didn’t mind the tall brown one! I’m not in front of the game right now but I can try to give you a few examples. But there were a couple points here and there in the larger rooms where some of the textures looked very copy and pasted. But this is minor stuff. These are really good levels! That’s why I say maybe just a little finesse here and there before it’s final. I’ll try to give you a couple of examples where I really noticed it.

Okay, I noclipped through a few levels and found some examples. This includes the only brown wall where it felt a little weird to me, and just some other areas where it's a little too busy or just feels like a little too much of a mishmash. With that said, overall I like your visual style and the mesh of the textures! And this is your wad, so feel free to tell us all to go to Hell too! You get the final say here and if you're happy with it that's all that matters.

With that said, these are some instances where I'd maybe just tone it down a touuuucchhhh but overall keep your use and mixes of textures the same. Like E1M2 is the only brown wall, maybe because it's in broad daylight or where it specifically cuts off, where it looks like a mistake. Otherwise I never personally minded when you did that with the brown walls in other places. E1M4 is definitely a nitpick but there are some sharp lines there that look mistake-y or could use a touch up. E1M6 I think maybe that one texture would be better served just meshing with either of the ones next to it. So reduce the visual variety just a tiny bit. The two E1M7 ones are where I'd just simplify it a bit or align a little better. Just a little bit of finesse imho, that's it!

e1m2.jpg

e1m4.png

e1m6.png

e1m7_1.png

e1m7_2.png

5 hours ago, Captain Keen said:

Okay, I noclipped through a few levels and found some examples. This includes the only brown wall where it felt a little weird to me, and just some other areas where it's a little too busy or just feels like a little too much of a mishmash. With that said, overall I like your visual style and the mesh of the textures! And this is your wad, so feel free to tell us all to go to Hell too! You get the final say here and if you're happy with it that's all that matters.

With that said, these are some instances where I'd maybe just tone it down a touuuucchhhh but overall keep your use and mixes of textures the same. Like E1M2 is the only brown wall, maybe because it's in broad daylight or where it specifically cuts off, where it looks like a mistake. Otherwise I never personally minded when you did that with the brown walls in other places. E1M4 is definitely a nitpick but there are some sharp lines there that look mistake-y or could use a touch up. E1M6 I think maybe that one texture would be better served just meshing with either of the ones next to it. So reduce the visual variety just a tiny bit. The two E1M7 ones are where I'd just simplify it a bit or align a little better. Just a little bit of finesse imho, that's it!

Thanks!

I'll be applying some SUPPORT texture for some of those instances, not all but cases like the last picture ask for some :)

On 6/6/2023 at 6:01 PM, nicolas monti said:

la parte de "me hicieron bolsa" me hizo cagar de risa, más bien te hicieron p*ja)

jajajaj! Es que soy chileno, el dialecto varía un poco xD

Aquí te va un par de videítos más. Voy subiendo más a medida que tenga tiempo.

Spoiler

22 hours ago, Fernito said:

jajajaj! Es que soy chileno, el dialecto varía un poco xD

Aquí te va un par de videítos más. Voy subiendo más a medida que tenga tiempo.

Reveal hidden contents

Thanks bruh

I'm fixing the acid part that doesn't do any damage and also some other minor alignments.

I'm surprised you've found all the secrets because some of them are really tricky. I'll see if I implement an extra secret in the tech room, the thing is that the level is almost done at that point so a secret item seems superfluous, unless it is just some health or armor to max out the statistics. keep saying bad words in spanish because I laugh at them lol.

I'll start to work in E1M9 maybe today, a secret exit in E1M3 is still to be made also.