Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EduardoAndFriends

Deep Breath - blowing away demons at the bottom of the sea! (Dev thread)

I really like the idea of an underwater base theme, the screenshots look fantastic! Excited to check this out when it releases!

Delicious screenies with wholesome aesthetics, it makes the deep blue feel much friendlier than how we usually imagine it. Love the implementation of Quake textures.

Quick question: is this limit-removing, Boom-compatible, or something else?

14 minutes ago, DreadWanderer said:

Delicious screenies with wholesome aesthetics, it makes the deep blue feel much friendlier than how we usually imagine it. Love the implementation of Quake textures.

Quick question: is this limit-removing, Boom-compatible, or something else?

Aha great question: Boom - I’ll update the post. Cheers! :)

12 minutes ago, EduardoAndFriends said:

Aha great question: Boom - I’ll update the post. Cheers! :)

Cool, thanks for the answer. I know essel & co. managed to pull off some incredible vanilla-compatible stuff with dehacked in KDiKDiZD, but working in Boom or MBF/MBF21 seems to be more convenient.

Wow, you weren't kidding when you said "REALLY soon"! XD Downloading this now haha, just noticed it's not out yet - well I'm gonna wait impatiently :p

Edited by sq. Tiramisu

1 hour ago, sq. Tiramisu said:

Wow, you weren't kidding when you said "REALLY soon"! XD Downloading this now haha, just noticed it's not out yet - well I'm gonna wait impatiently :p

Big SOON, I promise! :D

Can't wait! I have a feeling the underwater areas are going to look great in VR...

Damn this looks really interesting, I would really like to play this once it comes out!

Now... The question of the century:

Is it a true Boom compatible, or a PrBoom compatible?

This looks really good, I love the blue underwater scenes!

22 minutes ago, ValveMercenary said:

Damn this looks really interesting, I would really like to play this once it comes out!

Now... The question of the century:

Is it a true Boom compatible, or a PrBoom compatible?

I'm pretty sure that very few wads have been tested in the old DOS Boom EXEs from 1998 in the last 20 years, so I'm going to assume it means "Boom compatible" in the usual sense of "runs in Pr+, DSDA, Eternity, GZDoom, and other modern ports that support Boom features".

38 minutes ago, esselfortium said:

I'm pretty sure that very few wads have been tested in the old DOS Boom EXEs from 1998 in the last 20 years, so I'm going to assume it means "Boom compatible" in the usual sense of "runs in Pr+, DSDA, Eternity, GZDoom, and other modern ports that support Boom features".

This is also how I understand Boom compatibility. DSDA is now my main port and I've never had an issue with anything that is listed as "Boom compatible", "cl9", and so on. I would call GZDoom 99% Boom compatible, since I've previously had trouble with Boom wads like Arceon that simply crashed on me at key points, something which never happened in DSDA. Setting individual compatibility flags in GZ didn't help at all.

Doom Wiki still lists GZ as "mostly" Boom compatible. Granted, since I've made the switch to DSDA, I haven't gone back to replaying problematic wads to see if any issues have been addressed.

I had a underwater WAD project in mind for some time. Seeing the theme and the screenshots here makes me so excited to try it out! Maybe I'll be inspired enough to actually work on mine, hah.

1 minute ago, fuzzytrick said:

I had an underwater WAD project in mind for some time. Seeing the theme and the screenshots here makes me so excited to try it out! Maybe I'll be inspired enough to actually work on mine, hah.

Do it! I’m madly in love with underwater stuff, so I’d love to play it. :)

1 hour ago, esselfortium said:

This looks really good, I love the blue underwater scenes!

Thanks, ellelfortium! And yah, “Boom compatible”, like you said. :)

2 hours ago, Andrea Rovenski said:

wow this looks incredible! I absolutely adore the doomguy mid-death blue recolor. Will absolutely play this :)

Cheers, Andrea. :) 

2 hours ago, Klear said:

Can't wait! I have a feeling the underwater areas are going to look great in VR...

Oh hell yeah, can’t wait to see what it looks like in VR!

Okay I've been really looking forward to this one from some of your YT previews and so imagine my excitement to see this thread only to realize it's just an announcement of the project!! Way to get my hopes up buddy, thanks for nothing!!

:)

Jk love this stuff and I'm very eager to...*ahem* dive in, when it's released ;)

6 minutes ago, LVENdead said:

Okay I've been really looking forward to this one from some of your YT previews and so imagine my excitement to see this thread only to realize it's just an announcement of the project!! Way to get my hopes up buddy, thanks for nothing!!

:)

Jk love this stuff and I'm very eager to...*ahem* dive in, when it's released ;)

I got him! I got him, folks! Yuk yuk yuk. ;) thanks, dude!

57 minutes ago, LVENdead said:

imagine my excitement to see this thread only to realize it's just an announcement of the project!! Way to get my hopes up buddy, thanks for nothing!!

He did the same thing to me with Relic... 😜 

4 hours ago, EduardoAndFriends said:

Do it! I’m madly in love with underwater stuff, so I’d love to play it. :)

I was going to draw some parallels between Deep Breath and Aquatic Wonder (DBP 36). Aquatic Wonder is a fun wad overall, but the omnipresent blue can be a bit jarring. I much prefer what you did here with Deep Breath - a more varied palette with more subdued shades of blue.