Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EduardoAndFriends

Deep Breath - blowing away demons at the bottom of the sea! (Dev thread)

21 hours ago, Artman2004 said:

Who made the title screen?

It’s an AI generated image with the keywords of “Doomguy” and “deep breath”. :) it came out with some wacky results but this one was the most pleasing.

UPDATE: Map 02 Completed!

I personally think this map is really fun and I can't wait for folks to give it a try soon. Map 03's layout is already drawn out on paper, so it shouldn't take tooooo long to transfer it over in Doom Builder. Cheers. :)

-Edz xo

Update!

Thought I had Map03 all sewn up but then I became uninspired by the ending. Hmm … gonna let it sit for a bit and move onto map 04 I think. Alas, alack, and ballsacks.

Update!

Got four maps locked and finished thus far yahoo. Aiming for six maps now with a thank you / resolution map too. The fact that map 3 is called Aspiration Station is surely worth the price of admission. ;)

Hey, have an INTERPIC - hope you enjoy. :)

Also: map name roster as it currently stands ...

Map01 - Pressure Machine

Map02 - Depth Charge

Map03 - Aspiration Station

Map04 - Comms Disarray

Map05 - Crush Depth

Map06 - Ascent Blackout

I WISH I had known about the Doom Text Generator ages ago instead of meticulously piecing letters together in GIMP to make the INTER map names. What an idjit! It's so bloody handy. 

Cheers. More to come SOOOOOON. -Edz xo

CREDIT2.png

On 6/12/2023 at 1:31 PM, EduardoAndFriends said:

Update!

Got four maps locked and finished thus far yahoo. Aiming for six maps now with a thank you / resolution map too. The fact that map 3 is called Aspiration Station is surely worth the price of admission. ;)

Let me in!

*Shakes you violently*

LET ME IIIIIIN!

*With love*

1 hour ago, Wo0p said:

Let me in!

*Shakes you violently*

LET ME IIIIIIN!

*With love*

SHAKING THE FENCE LIKE SARAH CONNOR

”Let me innnnn!” :)

I’m gonna pop up the first few maps for folks to test out in a day or so! Totally gone back on my ‘all maps at the same time’ thing … need some peeps to work out any kinks!

1 minute ago, EduardoAndFriends said:

SHAKING THE FENCE LIKE SARAH CONNOR

”Let me innnnn!” :)

I’m gonna pop up the first few maps for folks to test out in a day or so! Totally gone back on my ‘all maps at the same time’ thing … need some peeps to work out any kinks!

Hahah :)

Yeah honestly I think that's the way to do it. Like if you're looking for playtesters, many people are more likely to do it if its piecemeal maps rather than a giant dump. And likewise for a general release audience they have something to look forward to after they've wetted their teeth, rather than, like the playtesters, see if they have the time/energy to play through a whole megawad. 

11 hours ago, LightningBoltForever said:

Ooh those pics, super cool!! Looks like it's been coming along nicely following your updates on YT. Really excited to play this one, man :D

Thanks, bud! :) it’s been really fun putting it together. Also really fun trying to make fights that aren’t as difficult as previous projects. It’s so much easier making nasty fights than pulling your punches somewhat and just trying to be more chill. Would love to get your thoughts on the mapset when it releases!

UPDATE!

Give the first four maps a go if you wish: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jcaroufcvlpwmbz/DB-M1234_3.zip?dl=0

Link is also in the original post, but it's also here because why not. I've tested in GzDoom, Woof, and DSDA. Comp level 9 (Boom). Happy Saturday / Friday!

Any and all feedback is most welcome! Hope you have fun. Now to get to work on maps five and six ... :^)

-Edz xo

Edited by EduardoAndFriends : edit

2 hours ago, EduardoAndFriends said:

UPDATE!

Give the first four maps a go if you wish: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lifmful4wdxwzqp/DB-M1234.zip?dl=0

Link is also in the original post, but it's also here because why not. I've tested in GzDoom, Woof, and DSDA. Comp level 9 (Boom). Happy Saturday / Friday!

Any and all feedback is most welcome! Hope you have fun. Now to get to work on maps five and six ... :^)

-Edz xo

Hey Edz,

I started playing this today on UV - delicious stuff! Sadly I was hit by a crash in DSDA at the exit of the first map. I found the reason though - you forgot to convert the images for the level names from PNG to Doom format. I took the liberty of doing that for you and attached the converted lumps here. Tested again and there's no more crash. Will watch for other bugs. Time to continue the adventure!

Intermission_titlenames.rar

1 hour ago, DreadWanderer said:

Hey Edz,

I started playing this today on UV - delicious stuff! Sadly I was hit by a crash in DSDA at the exit of the first map. I found the reason though - you forgot to convert the images for the level names from PNG to Doom format. I took the liberty of doing that for you and attached the converted lumps here. Tested again and there's no more crash. Will watch for other bugs. Time to continue the adventure!

Intermission_titlenames.rar

Poops! Knew I’d overlooked something. Only just put ‘em in. Thanks man! New download link incoming … :)

More fleshed out, general impressions (50 mins playtime, UV):

- Lovely atmosphere. The Bioshock-meets-Quake-meets-SS2-meets-BTSX vibe works really well for me. The little details add a lot to the world building: hitting a switch to get a view outside the facility and into the deep blue, the sound of crackling cables, the cells with dead marines inside, the nice lighting. 

- Combat is fair, resources are occasionally a bit tight on UV, but not to the point where it gets in the way. 

- I haven't met any of the fast pinkies (correct me if I'm wrong here).

- The chaingunners are...quite beefy. I was pretty surprised to see them still going after an SSG blast at close range, took a bit of time to get used to. Again, not really a problem - just a question of adaptation.

- Hard to pick a favorite - probably 'Aspiration Station' for the combat rush and the added pressure of having to find scuba gears!

It's a winner. It's tasteful, pretty, and exciting. Like I said before, you have a knack for creating scenarios and set pieces that are challenging, but never frustrating. A very important skill to have as a mapper, in my opinion. Added to that, you have the eye for aesthetics: texture combinations, colors, sound. Among other things, a very wholesome choice for the soundtrack. 

I haven't encountered any bugs, except for a HoM very close to the end of the second map. I've attached screenshots.

For me, it really delivers. Looking forward to playing the whole set!

hom1_map02.png

hom2_map02.png

4 hours ago, EduardoAndFriends said:

Woot! That techno music right off the bat is already so good. I managed to immediately softlock myself on map01 just by walking right though... No hidden secrets or anything there right? I guess it goes to show this kind of stuff always happens on a first release.

6 minutes ago, DreadWanderer said:

More fleshed out, general impressions (50 mins playtime, UV):

- Lovely atmosphere. The Bioshock-meets-Quake-meets-SS2-meets-BTSX vibe works really well for me. The little details add a lot to the world building: hitting a switch to get a view outside the facility and into the deep blue, the sound of crackling cables, the cells with dead marines inside, the nice lighting. 

- Combat is fair, resources are occasionally a bit tight on UV, but not to the point where it gets in the way. 

- I haven't met any of the fast pinkies (correct me if I'm wrong here).

- The chaingunners are...quite beefy. I was pretty surprised to see them still going after an SSG blast at close range, took a bit of time to get used to. Again, not really a problem - just a question of adaptation.

- Hard to pick a favorite - probably 'Aspiration Station' for the combat rush and the added pressure of having to find scuba gears!

It's a winner. It's tasteful, pretty, and exciting. Like I said before, you have a knack for creating scenarios and set pieces that are challenging, but never frustrating. A very important skill to have as a mapper, in my opinion. Added to that, you have the eye for aesthetics: texture combinations, colors, sound. Among other things, a very wholesome choice for the soundtrack. 

I haven't encountered any bugs, except for a HoM very close to the end of the second map. I've attached screenshots.

For me, it really delivers. Looking forward to playing the whole set!

hom1_map02.png

hom2_map02.png

Thanks, man! Yeah, those Chaingunners are gonna be put on a strict diet. Glad you enjoyed! More to come soon .... ;) Gonna give that HoM a good seeing to.

5 minutes ago, houston said:

Woot! That techno music right off the bat is already so good. I managed to immediately softlock myself on map01 just by walking right though... No hidden secrets or anything there right? I guess it goes to show this kind of stuff always happens on a first release.

Whoops-a-daisy! Where abouts did you walk through and softlock yourself?

4 minutes ago, EduardoAndFriends said:

Thanks, man! Yeah, those Chaingunners are gonna be put on a strict diet. Glad you enjoyed! More to come soon .... ;) Gonna give that HoM a good seeing to.

Had a look at the Dehacked and saw they have 200 HP. With the normalized SSG damage values in Boom, they might require a bit of a nerf - maybe to about 150? I guess you just have to play around with the values and find a sweet spot. 

BTW you might want to change the string value of "HUSTR_7 = DB06 Thank You!" to "HUSTR_7 = DB07 Thank You!", since DB06 is reserved for 'Ascent Blackout'.

9 minutes ago, EduardoAndFriends said:

Whoops-a-daisy! Where abouts did you walk through and softlock yourself?

Very beginning, you just hug the right wall and move forwards. Or does Boom compatability normally imply you're allowed to jump?

1 minute ago, houston said:

Very beginning, you just hug the right wall and move forwards. Or does Boom compatability normally imply you're allowed to jump?

Coolio - thanks, I'll block that fella in.