Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EduardoAndFriends

Deep Breath - blowing away demons at the bottom of the sea! (Dev thread)

3 minutes ago, DreadWanderer said:

Had a look at the Dehacked and saw they have 200 HP. With the normalized SSG damage values in Boom, they might require a bit of a nerf - maybe to about 150? I guess you just have to play around with the values and find a sweet spot. 

BTW you might want to change the string value of "HUSTR_7 = DB06 Thank You!" to "HUSTR_7 = DB07 Thank You!", since DB06 is reserved for 'Ascent Blackout'.

Cheers, mate. I'm going to drop any alterations to monster beefiness for now (or all together). And strings updated. Ta!

13 minutes ago, EduardoAndFriends said:

Cheers, mate. I'm going to drop any alterations to monster beefiness for now (or all together). And strings updated. Ta!

Up to you, of course :) It wasn't a problem for me once I got used to changing my shooting patterns, but I suppose other players might object, especially since hitscan damage is harder to deal with than projectiles. I barely felt the HP bump for the pinkies from 150 to 180 - a 20% increase. The way I see it, for consistency's sake, you'd also want to bump the hitscanners around that 20% mark. 20% of 70 is 14, so beefing them up to 84 should be ok. 

An associated aspect you could think about is how this would affect the encounters. I initially suggested 150 because this would mean that you wouldn't have to make any significant changes to the fights. My assumption is that a drop from 200 to 84 would require more careful tinkering.

Remember this is just my view, and none of it diminshed my enjoyment of Deep Breath. In general I am pretty quick to adapt to Dehacked changes, whether they are minor or extensive. The more feedback you get, the more you'll know about what exactly to do.

UPDATE. 

Just added a few tweaks and updated the download links (check the original post).

I've re-sorted the end of map 02. Fake floor / ceilings ARE cool, but also can jank so I've made a more elegant solution, keeping in line with the other water mechanics I've been using in the mapset thus far, which feels more appropriate too. :p

-Edz xo

5 hours ago, houston said:

So how about that missing submersible huh?

Blame Doomguy. Dude has to get home somehow. :^) but yeah, it’s pretty bizarre huh?

I was kinda hoping to hold off on this one till the final release but my curiosity and inability to control my own basic impulses got the better of me. That was a fun ass set! So fucking cool that its deserving of an entire 32 levels. And just so ya know, I was nervous the entire time! Just waiting for the hammer to drop in every single room. It never did, and thats ok, but I was sitting on the edge of my seat the whole playthrough. Made for a really enjoyable time. Thanks for making this and cant wait for the next couple of lvls 😀

22 minutes ago, mancubian_candidate said:

I missed that this was released, will give this a go soon Edz 😄

Ooh Coolio! Looking forward to it dude!

12 minutes ago, Insaneprophet said:

I was kinda hoping to hold off on this one till the final release but my curiosity and inability to control my own basic impulses got the better of me. That was a fun ass set! So fucking cool that its deserving of an entire 32 levels. And just so ya know, I was nervous the entire time! Just waiting for the hammer to drop in every single room. It never did, and thats ok, but I was sitting on the edge of my seat the whole playthrough. Made for a really enjoyable time. Thanks for making this and cant wait for the next couple of lvls 😀

Thanks a bunch! Trying my hardest to get together a satisfying ending atm. :p

UPDATE:

Spent a good part of today researching geothermal power plants for the final map. Hopefully I can conjure up something that ends with a BANG! Always loved Hephaestus from Bioshock; hope to do something similar but we’ll see.

2 hours ago, Insaneprophet said:

That was also my initial plan, but I couldn't resist. Plus, I thought it would be good to give feedback as the set is coming together.

2 hours ago, EduardoAndFriends said:

Ooh Coolio! Looking forward to it dude!

Got er' done, good stuff as always!

I think Aspiration Station might be your best map yet :D

Spoiler

Rawr! How did I miss the release of this?! D:

*Dives in*

EDIT

Just finished playing the finished maps and it was a lovely romp through the ocean depths! That surprise two-timing Archviles really got me hahah, didn't expect that as my first encounter with them in this mapset. Great atmosphere throughout and consistently interesting architecture in all I played. I also really liked the usage of hard light juxtaposed with deep shadows. It looks great and it's something I definitely will take inspiration from in my future maps :)

I definitely died a few times in HMP so this mapset is no slouch and I think much of that is attributed to the lack of space to move around in. It skirts the line of being too cramped to move around in so that it becomes annoying to play but it never goes there. So great stuff! Thanks for making it ^_^ 9/10

Edited by Wo0p

Loving the dark, grim, grimy and claustrophobic Quake/Doom 64 atmosphere offset by the unique underwater firefights and upbeat music; and how that combination makes the player oscillate between suspense and panic.

14 hours ago, mancubian_candidate said:

Got er' done, good stuff as always!

I think Aspiration Station might be your best map yet :D

Reveal hidden contents

Thanks man! Super fun to watch your vids as always. :) sorry you played map05; it’s not finished yet haha. Soon though, soon!

10 hours ago, Daytime Waitress said:

Loving the dark, grim, grimy and claustrophobic Quake/Doom 64 atmosphere offset by the unique underwater firefights and upbeat music; and how that combination makes the player oscillate between suspense and panic.

Thanks. :) reeeeally hope I can deliver a somewhat strong finish!

13 hours ago, Wo0p said:

Rawr! How did I miss the release of this?! D:

*Dives in*

EDIT

Just finished playing the finished maps and it was a lovely romp through the ocean depths! That surprise two-timing Archviles really got me hahah, didn't expect that as my first encounter with them in this mapset. Great atmosphere throughout and consistently interesting architecture in all I played. I also really liked the usage of hard light juxtaposed with deep shadows. It looks great and it's something I definitely will take inspiration from in my future maps :)

I definitely died a few times in HMP so this mapset is no slouch and I think much of that is attributed to the lack of space to move around in. It skirts the line of being too cramped to move around in so that it becomes annoying to play but it never goes there. So great stuff! Thanks for making it ^_^ 9/10

Cheers, Wo0p. :) gonna wrap it up hopefully in the next few weeks. 

Chill maps with a nice brisk pace. The aesthetics are overall pretty nice, and gave me a weird cartoony vibe I haven't seen often. However, that titlepic. lol
Replacing the rad suit with an underwater diving set is genius and I love it

3 hours ago, DeafPixel said:

Chill maps with a nice brisk pace. The aesthetics are overall pretty nice, and gave me a weird cartoony vibe I haven't seen often. However, that titlepic. lol
Replacing the rad suit with an underwater diving set is genius and I love it

Cheers mate! :) really appreciate you playing. Stay tuned for the final levels!

Wow! This looks great! Totally into this theming, haven't really seen it done much at all. I'll be in the waiting room for this release, that's for sure.

Somehow, I'm fairly certain the demons would drown without some scuba-like apparatus, but asking for logic in Doom is like asking UAC to be OSHA-compliant. Anyway, knew I was going to have to play at least one map from this!

9 hours ago, Boss said:

Wow! This looks great! Totally into this theming, haven't really seen it done much at all. I'll be in the waiting room for this release, that's for sure.

Cheers, thanks Boss! :)

6 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

Somehow, I'm fairly certain the demons would drown without some scuba-like apparatus, but asking for logic in Doom is like asking UAC to be OSHA-compliant. Anyway, knew I was going to have to play at least one map from this!

Demon magic! :D like how they walk around in lava and stuff unharmed hehehe. Thanks a bunch, LadyMistDragon… gonna watch this after work!

UPDATE:

Sorry it's been a minute, been busy with work. Doing a second pass on Map05 as it was irking me something rotten. Got a better handle on it now and it feels much better, which is encouraging. Was going to have a secret map31 you could warp to, but it fits well for my ideas for map06, so I'm shaking it up and retooling it to be a geothermal power plant where EVERYTHING EXPLODES. :)

More updates SOON. Stay excellent, peoples. -Edz xo

7 hours ago, EduardoAndFriends said:

UPDATE:

Sorry it's been a minute, been busy with work. Doing a second pass on Map05 as it was irking me something rotten. Got a better handle on it now and it feels much better, which is encouraging. Was going to have a secret map31 you could warp to, but it fits well for my ideas for map06, so I'm shaking it up and retooling it to be a geothermal power plant where EVERYTHING EXPLODES. :)

More updates SOON. Stay excellent, peoples. -Edz xo

Fantastic to hear, Edz! Looking forward to more delicious underwater action!

3 hours ago, DreadWanderer said:

Fantastic to hear, Edz! Looking forward to more delicious underwater action!

Stay hydrated. Kekmao

Naw but I too am excite for when the drop comes :>

UPDATE: Map 05 Complete At The Polish Stage

This one's pretty good fun IMO - finally get the big gun in the Energy Weapons division of the science facility and get to rip things up. :p More visual hints of where the final level is heading - lava, lava, everywhere. 

- updating the title music to something a bit more fun.

- going to review other midi tracks to see if they're all gelling together or if anything is sticking out aesthetically.

- might still make a secret map 31 for funsies. 

- constantly fighting off distracting ideas for my next project. Go away, shoo, shoo! 

Updated upload coming sooooon. -Edz xo

Edited by EduardoAndFriends : edit