Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VL2M STUDIO

Doom 32x: Evil Reincarnate - Demo Release Thread

Context

Hello everyone! I'm excited to release a public demo of Evil Reincarnate!

image.png.1dc66c5876cec8a04e0a9ed0affe8cfb.png

This demo contains 4 levels (+the secret level): Marine Clone Center, Intersection, "Arms Shortage", The Mines, and "Military Surplus".
The levels in this demo may likely differ in the final release.
There may possibly be some slowdown in some areas.

You need to acquire a North American ROM of 32x Doom and apply the xDelta patch attached to this post.

Story
Clone ID #19931210 John Blazkowicz

It appears that some rogue scientists have opened a portal to Hell and demons have overrun the Venus base.
Your mission: prevent them from completely taking control of the base and the ships that go to Earth. Rip and tear until it is done.

Special thanks to
@Roebloz
Jrmhd91
@TheLesha
Evyrling
Bar0ck0m1re
@Nikoxenos for logo

Credits
@saxman for tools

Mike12 for rifle graphics
Some images from the internet
The graphic designers of Doom, Doom 64, Quake 2 and Doom RPG

Doom 32x - Evil Reincarnate Demo.7z

Well... Meh! Everything can be improved.

Dark wall textures remove the sense of distance when you look at them. I even had to increase the brightness in Fusion. Elevator textures, these grey-white vertical lines, cause optical illusion when you are turning left/right.

Maps consist mainly of hallways, which is a step down comparing to the original Doom. It also lack basic map tricks, like monster closets on your way back.

The balance between health and monsters jumps high and low. I don't think the audience plays 32X Doom regularly to get used to its control right away, especially on an emulator. If you run out of health, you'll end up saving after each fight until you finally gather enough health to be confident.

Map 1 has a pointless berserk at the beginning. The map is filled mainly with hitscanners and imps. Demons seems to have more health than in the original, so it's quite complicated to use berserk against them. I don't think much people use it as a weapon anyway.

On this regard, since the maps are more intended for running around rather than a traditional walkthrough, it makes sense to fill hub areas with supplies instead of putting them near the end, so you gotta run to the other end of the map to replenish your health.

Unlike PC Doom which has a higher gameplay pace, 32X Doom is not really appropriate for Resident Evil style walkthrough when you leave an item behind, unless you need it. Such items as that berserk should be replaced with supplies around the map, in places where a player would be more often.

Map 2.

The elevator should have a respective switch texture, not a regular wall.
Doom-32x-Evil-Reincarnate-Demo001.pngDoom-32x-Evil-Reincarnate-Demo000.png

I also didn't find how to open this wall, and I'm not sure if it can be opened.
Doom-32x-Evil-Reincarnate-Demo002.png

So concerns this door. Maybe I've lost a switch, but I didn't find anything that resembles it.
Doom-32x-Evil-Reincarnate-Demo004.pngDoom-32x-Evil-Reincarnate-Demo003.png

Map 4 is boring. Yeah, dungeons is a nice touch, but they are long and, by the time I got there, I was already feeling like finishing this map. The dungeon with a hell room at the end should be either removed or be made useful for progression, because pointless backtracking is a clear sign of bad map design. Damaging lava is not appropriate there, though it looks good there. Put a teleport somewhere there or something.
Also, it's not cool to have a keycard, which is used for a room that immediately gives you another keycard. Since the map is long, the music gets annoying from its 2nd loop and beyond.

I don't mind the interior design, but these tables and cylinder chairs, as well as door textures, are put in rooms just so people wouldn't think these rooms look empty. "Doom cuteness" is used to improve good maps even further, not to make poor maps look good. 

To summarize, the map design steps on typical spikes of beginner mappers. There are much room for improvement. If the full release will be of the same style, at best this mod will be a one-time thing.

4 hours ago, Dimon12321 said:

Well... Meh! Everything can be improved.

Dark wall textures remove the sense of distance when you look at them. I even had to increase the brightness in Fusion. Elevator textures, these grey-white vertical lines, cause optical illusion when you are turning left/right.

Maps consist mainly of hallways, which is a step down comparing to the original Doom. It also lack basic map tricks, like monster closets on your way back.

The balance between health and monsters jumps high and low. I don't think the audience plays 32X Doom regularly to get used to its control right away, especially on an emulator. If you run out of health, you'll end up saving after each fight until you finally gather enough health to be confident.

Map 1 has a pointless berserk at the beginning. The map is filled mainly with hitscanners and imps. Demons seems to have more health than in the original, so it's quite complicated to use berserk against them. I don't think much people use it as a weapon anyway.

On this regard, since the maps are more intended for running around rather than a traditional walkthrough, it makes sense to fill hub areas with supplies instead of putting them near the end, so you gotta run to the other end of the map to replenish your health.

Unlike PC Doom which has a higher gameplay pace, 32X Doom is not really appropriate for Resident Evil style walkthrough when you leave an item behind, unless you need it. Such items as that berserk should be replaced with supplies around the map, in places where a player would be more often.

Map 2.

The elevator should have a respective switch texture, not a regular wall.
Doom-32x-Evil-Reincarnate-Demo001.pngDoom-32x-Evil-Reincarnate-Demo000.png

I also didn't find how to open this wall, and I'm not sure if it can be opened.
Doom-32x-Evil-Reincarnate-Demo002.png

So concerns this door. Maybe I've lost a switch, but I didn't find anything that resembles it.
Doom-32x-Evil-Reincarnate-Demo004.pngDoom-32x-Evil-Reincarnate-Demo003.png

Map 4 is boring. Yeah, dungeons is a nice touch, but they are long and, by the time I got there, I was already feeling like finishing this map. The dungeon with a hell room at the end should be either removed or be made useful for progression, because pointless backtracking is a clear sign of bad map design. Damaging lava is not appropriate there, though it looks good there. Put a teleport somewhere there or something.
Also, it's not cool to have a keycard, which is used for a room that immediately gives you another keycard. Since the map is long, the music gets annoying from its 2nd loop and beyond.

I don't mind the interior design, but these tables and cylinder chairs, as well as door textures, are put in rooms just so people wouldn't think these rooms look empty. "Doom cuteness" is used to improve good maps even further, not to make poor maps look good. 

To summarize, the map design steps on typical spikes of beginner mappers. There are much room for improvement. If the full release will be of the same style, at best this mod will be a one-time thing.

Thank you for your review.

Truth be told, I am a beginner mapper.

For those secrets, look at the computers.

I will take these into consideration.

Edited by VL2M STUDIO