Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Devalaous

Quality of Life Patches for various WADs

Damnit! Just yesterday, I decided to make a custom dehacked file for Fava Beans/Slaughter Until Death/The Evil Unleashed. It would have saved me the trouble had I noticed this thread sooner. XD

Oh well, your work is much appreciated nonetheless!

6 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

Damnit! Just yesterday, I decided to make a custom dehacked file for Fava Beans/Slaughter Until Death/The Evil Unleashed. It would have saved me the trouble had I noticed this thread sooner. XD

Oh well, your work is much appreciated nonetheless!

Slaughter Until Death and Evil Unleashed both have broken levels with improperly deleted secret sectors, and Evil Unleashed has nonfunctional graphic replacements that need to be restored, my own TiC wad patchs will be probably in the next batch, assuming Obituary patch works well, just need to make sure the level fixes actually takes this time (For some reason Doom Builder doesn't always actually *save* the level for me)

Ah... Well, then, I guess I should wait so I can have an optimal experience. :)

I do not suppose you plan on addressing the occasional weirdly-aligned textures and other odd choices (e.g. using slime borders for water pools) that do not actually affect gameplay in Fava Beans?

I just found and fixed a bug in Alien Vendetta's patch that caused the sky to not render in Eternity and outright Crash DSDA Doom/Woof; turns out I defined the skies as 'RSKY' instead of 'SKY'. To be fair, AV was my very first patch and its been updated 20+ times by now; I guess I never tested it on Eternity or UMAPINFO ports (Turns out I tested the original release patch instead!)

Kind of ashamed that the patch most likely to be used turned out bugged, but like I said; there was BOUND to be typos SOMEWHERE.

Next batch will be

Spoiler

Doom Core, Doom Core Delta, Reverie, Eternally Yours, Vispire, Pulse, Eternal Doom, Crusades, Slayer, Sacrifice, Slaughter Until Death, Evil Unleashed, 2002 ADO, Death Tormention Complete, Plutonia 2, Plutonia Revisited

It also seems like EMAPINFO might be pointless to continue writing soon, as of the current devbuild of Eternity, its using the UMAPINFO lump and I finally have custom episode selection in Eternity! I'll keep them in just in case however, as theres no telling what version a user might have installed.

13 hours ago, Rudolph said:

Ah... Well, then, I guess I should wait so I can have an optimal experience. :)

I do not suppose you plan on addressing the occasional weirdly-aligned textures and other odd choices (e.g. using slime borders for water pools) that do not actually affect gameplay in Fava Beans?

Only fixes that block 100% secrets or items that noclip cant fix; if I edited people's works to appeal to my artistic tastes, I'd quickly find myself booted off the site. I have the utmost respect for the original works, I simply intend to re-present them with modern quality of life, cleaning up the old DEHACKEDs, providing missing level graphics, etc.

I ran into some issues, so the next pile is smaller than I expected, but:

2002: A Doom Odyssey: Tenth Anniversary Edition

(Enables E5M1 and E5M2 on all ports; re-adds the old E4M1 as E5M3; adds unused music track from Pcorf's 2002 ADO midi folder as E5M3's track. Also contains patch for the original 2002 ADO!)

Death Tormention: The Complete Trilogy

(Enables E2M10 and E4M10 on all ports, adds E1M9/E2M9/E3M9 from Death Tormention II as E1M10, E2M11 and E3M10)

Eternal Doom

(Widescreen assets, integration of Cybersweeper and Credits map, optional episodic version)

Hell Revealed II

(Widescreen assets, general UMAPINFO support)

Cleimos and Cleimos II

(General UMAPINFO support, custom obituaries, seperation of Cleimos 2's campaign and DM levels, widescreen statusbar. Also contains patch for original Cleimos)

@Rudolph here you go. I needed a good long rest to finish up SUDTIC/TEUTIC.

Slaughter Until Death

(E2M2 and E2M9 fixed, general UMAPINFO support)

The Evil Unleashed

(E3M2 and E3M5 fixed, additional graphics restored, general UMAPINFO support)

Ty Halderman's Sacrifice

(E1M3 fixed, ends after E1M6)

Doom Core, Doom Core Delta, Reverie, Eternally Yours (The Doom Core Trilogy)

(General updates to all four wads, adds the cut levels from Doom Core back to Doom Core Delta, widescreen statusbar for Reverie)

Vispire

(General QOL stuff, ends mapset at appropriate time)

Pulse

(General QOL stuff, ends mapset at appropriate time)

Cool! Thanks!

Can those fixes be included to a .PK3 file, however? If so, how should I proceed?

I'm not really familiar with how GZDoom does PK3 stuff; it looks hella messy and disorganised to my eyes. Many of these patches have conflicting files, so you cant just throw in the whole bunch; the entire reason why base MAPINFO versions is a seperate file at all is because of conflicts for example.

Anyway, my forgetful brain forgot to include four other finished ones in the above post:

Crusades

(No longer dependant on Doom 95 for its intermission and WILV graphics)

SlayeR

(Bonus map and deathmatch maps selectable from menus, CWILV graphics made for extra levels)

Heroes Tales

(Bonus map selectable from main menu, also contains version with MAP33 integrated into the campaign)

Community Chest series

(CC1: Adds the mystery copy of MAP24 as MAP33, widescreen TITLEPIC. CC2: Map 24 fix, cleaned up DEHACKED. CC3: Cleaned up DEHACKED. CC4: MAP35 selectable from menu, alt version integrated into campaign. All versions: Widescreen statusbar)

53 minutes ago, Devalaous said:

I'm not really familiar with how GZDoom does PK3 stuff; it looks hella messy and disorganised to my eyes. Many of these patches have conflicting files, so you cant just throw in the whole bunch; the entire reason why base MAPINFO versions is a seperate file at all is because of conflicts for example.

Fair enough. I guess I will just have to play all those mapsets separately; I only wanted to merge them into full megawads out of convenience.

Oh, and thanks for letting me know about Heroes' Tales! I was not aware of this one.

As requested by @Mr.Unsmiley:

Base Ganymede Complete

Basically turns it into the Unity Port version. Due to issues with Eternity over widescreen, Crispy and Eternity will default to 4:3 episode name graphics instead of wider names from the Unity port. Theres a little wad to change the episode names to the full widescreen ones for Crispy however. Other ports all use the full graphics.

In Slaughter Until Death's E2M9, the rockets located between the lines of the pentagram room with slime cannot be grabbed. I do not know if it is because of GZDoom, but it is like they are too low for me to grab them by simply walking over them and the lines are too close to each other to allow me to touch the slime floor. Also, in the very large western arena, there is a monster outside the map boundaries.

Edited by Rudolph

I did try to move those rockets, seems they are still bugged. They don't count as items though, so oh well. I fixed the erroneously ambush-flagged monsters in E2M9's outside area, they should wake up with the others now. No monster is actually out of bounds. This stuff is exactly why I prefer to only remove the improperly deleted secret sectors that no amount of console command or cheats can overcome, trying to fix bugs on maps outside of that seems to only generate more headaches, and risks player anger over defiling classics

Anyway:

The Rebirth

This patch is a bit simpler, no xINFO lumps outside of GAMEINFO, and integrates the Midi Pack, adds obituaries and correct Cast Call names for the new monster replacements, and adds widescreen graphics.

Updated 2002 ADO, Crusades and Revolution: The former two had incorrect level warp numbers for Doomsday (Turns out this was an error in my template that I never caught fully; I noticed it for Death Tormention then entirely forgot to check the other Doom 1 wads with a fourth episode, oops), and Revolution still had Map 33 enabled as an 'episode' on the integrated version, allowing one to basically skip half the game.

Ive been very busy preparing to move to another house, so ive not been working on this stuff too much recently, but the next bunch of patches SHOULD be the DTWID series with UMAPINFO support and widescreen assets, Kama Sutra and Hell Medley, and the Scythe trio.

As my time runs out on this move, ive found I will likely not have stable internet, and likely no internet at all for my PC due to old people at the new house being behind the times on modern needs. As such, im uploading my current finished work while I can; these may still have some bugs as I had to cut testing short. As usual, please report anything amiss with port compatibility (UMAPINFO outright bombs Eternity, Woof and DSDA Doom if something is amiss, so that standard should at least work fine)

Doom the Way id Did series

Adds UMAPINFO support for Lost Episodes (enabling Episode 5 and 6 for Woof and DSDA Doom) and widescreen assets for DTWID, UDTWID and DTWID:LE

Doom 2 the Way id Did

Adds UMAPINFO support for Map 33, adds widescreen assets, and a custom version of MIDTWID thats compatible with D2TWID without overwriting the special secret map music.

No End in Sight

Adds UMAPINFO support, adds E1M0 as a selectable bonus map, and has a secondary patch that integrates E1M0 as as second secret level in E1. E4M0 currently requires noclipping to reach, as Xaser and NT did some special trickery to access E4M0 that I dont think UMAPINFO can use. Also adds the widescreen assets from the Unity port.

Hell Medley

Gusta's original Doom 1 megawad. Now translated into english, with xINFO support to abridge Episode 1 and 3, which were not full episodes. Also has a patch that updates the original Czech version for those wanting it closer to its original release. E1M8, E2M8 and E2M9 are now 100%able

Kama Sutra

General QoL updates like level names. Also has a 'PG' version that replaces the NSFW titlepic and bossback and removes the 'Adult' route from Map 30 (This was a specific request)

Scythe

Widescreen assets, optional episodic version

Scythe 2

Widescreen assets, intermission texts, optional episodic version (Eternity has issues with the episodic version; use the standard patch instead)

Scythe X

General QoL updates, episodes are now selectable

Solar Struggle

Adds a DEHACKED lump and MAPINFO lump for Crispy Doom and ZDoom support

The Ultimate NMD

General QoL updates

Serenity

General QoL updates, fixed E3M4 and E3M7, widescreen intermission

Eternity

General QoL updates, widescreen intermission

Infinity

General QoL updates

Been busy with getting properly set up at my new house, and ive got a HUGE amount of patches done thanks to my new speakers providing the perfect environment to focus on typing endless SLADE content.

First off: No End in Sight, Anomaly Report, Slaughter Until Death and The Rebirth have been updated. NEIS and Anomaly Report now have (most of) the Unity port assets available as side-wads, so if you wanted to run though NEIS's E1 and E3 with the new Xaser-approved skies, now you just need to load a wad alongside it and it will act almost entirely like the add-on version (Without removing E1M0 and E4M6 though!). This does include the altered E4M1 too. Anomaly Report will need another update, as I forgot the ever-so-slightly-altered skies. SID had a minor 'whoops!' in the EMAPINFO that removed the 'E2Mx:' labelling. Rebirth was accidentally shipped with the Rebirth wad itself, so ive removed that, and added a UMAPINFO lump afterall; Blame Xaser calling me 'the resident UMAPINFO Saint'; I have a reputation to uphold now dammit!

Aside from updating those, I have a very wide variety of wads with patches, from Cacoward winning superstars, to the dregs of Maximum Doom and everything in between. Some are requested, some are meme challenges, others are things I find and play then notice 'hmm, it has no internal dehacked!' then write one up on the spot.

Widescreen Autoload files for Woof and DSDA Doom

These are widescreen files largely taken from Nash and Scuba's repositories, readymade to be placed in Woof and DSDA Doom's autoload folders. They will also work on Crispy. Also included are a set of widescreen statusbars; these will also work with Eternity, at least in recent dev builds (Full widescreen support soon please?). I personally use a different statusbar in each Woof autoload wad, ive left some recommendations in the readme.

BTSX Episode 1 and BTSX Episode 2

You would think these would have nothing to fix, but they are old enough now that they predate UMAPINFO, and E1 also had no GAMEINFO lump. Also included are widescreen assets, and conversion kits to change the graphics and level names to the Bethesda versions. I also fixed a few level names; the secret levels no longer say 'E1M31', 'E1M32' and 'E2M31'; this implied there was a full 32 levels, now they are E1M26, E1M27 and E2M28.  E2M27 now appears as such, and now credits Tarnsman properly if the Creator command is used in Eternity.

Plutonia 2

Plutonia 2 was made strangely; all the music in it was pointlessly changed to new lump names, and it makes a cleaned up DEHACKED annoying. Ive added two patches that make Map 33 properly supported, one keeps it as a bonus map, albeit selectable from the main menu, the other makes it automatically integrated into the campaign as a level accessed automatically from Map 32. Also included are widescreen assets.

Plutonia Revisited Duo

PRCP2 came out as I was initially making the patch for the first PRCP, and I got distracted and never finished it, till now. I threw in a small patch for PRCP2 as well that simply adds UMAPINFO/GAMEINFO lumps. PRCP itself also got one of the same nature, and the main feature is the widescreen assets for PRCP. PRCP 1 and 2 were simply built well :)

Hadephobia

This one was a bit of a mess on release, no xINFO of any kind despite having all three bonus map slots filled, and a missing music track for Map 31 I think it was. With this patch, all three bonus maps are fully supported in all xINFO ports, the missing track is present if using an older Hadephobia build (Mine had the missing 'Royal Flush' track already, but the wiki insists its missing..), and the four named episodes have been integrated as selectable menu options. The bonus maps are indicated by the Nightmare font. Also, since the three bonus maps had no definitions whatsoever for the intended music and skies, I have set 'Predestined Mortality' to use D_READ_M, 'Hadephrenia' to use Map 30's theme, and 'Scotch Bonnet' uses the intermission theme. All three use the third sky.

Perdition's Gate

This was a big project, paired with its sister wad. Perdition's Gate threw out the tradition CWILV graphics to attempt to tell a story after each level, instead of at pre-determined spots. However, without DEHACKED, the presentation was very sloppy. The level names and intermission texts remained unaltered, and you would get a glimpse of the next level's story as the next level loaded. Some of these texts were also difficult to read. My patch adds proper level names and intermission texts to Crispy, and in xINFO ports, the story text will instead be displayed after each and every level as proper intermissions. By loading up an extra wad, the CWILV graphics will be replaced by normal graphics, which is the ideal experience for xINFO ports. There are also widescreen graphics included.

Hell to Pay

Like the above, Hell to Pay tried to break past the limits of Doom 2 via complex graphic replacements. However unlike PG, the CWILV replacements also included unique artwork for each level; simply replacing these with regular CWILV graphics would sacrifice a lot. I figured out a way to include them however; each intermission is now set to display a unique graphic that merges the old CWILV and the INTERPIC seamlessly, preserving the unique artwork. This DOES result in 'double intermissions', but some of those graphics had difficult to read text, now you can take the time to read it properly. I included 4:3 versions of all these graphics for Eternity, and there are widescreen versions also available. In addition to all this, GZDoom has custom obituaries for all the new monsters, there are string replacements for the new weapons, and BlueFirez88's Hell to Pay patch's ZDoom aspects have been added as another modular patch (It mostly changes the decals of the new weapons, blood colours, and sounds)

Double Impact

This E1 replacement is another of the official add-ons, with enough changes to warrant a conversion to the add-on version. Included are widescreen assets for both versions, UMAPINFO support, and integration of the Double Impact MIDI Pack, in three levels: The base fix itself only replaces the stock music (E1M1, E1M2, E1M8 and the victory music are left as is), and there are two modular wads to fully replace the soundtrack with the full MIDI Pack, and one that replaces all but E1M1 and the victory music (aka the standard MIDI Pack functionality, as released). A dumb little extra noone asked for: The mismatched level names in the Unity version's intermission pic, have been fixed via the DEHACKED, UMAPINFO and WILV graphics

Deathless

As with Double Impact, this patch largely features conversions to the official add-on version, and includes the usual UMAPINFO and widescreen assets. I have no idea if levels differ between the add-on version and the 1.1 release of Deathless, as Revenant never covered that.

'32 Hours' Trilogy

This is a collection of patches for Kristian Aro's first works, a trio of wads that tell a continous story: '20 Days in Hell', '32 Hours in Pain' and 'One Day of Hellish Revenge'. 20 Days is very rough, and was, according to his Millenium Minisode text, never actually meant to be uploaded at all. I had enough fun with it though, although I needed to manually patch it to 100% it. 20 Days starts at Map 12, so ive added definitions to xINFO to enable starting directly from Map 12, and I added custom story intermissions and basic level names; this is the ONLY time ive written my own story texts; I wasn't the happiest with the results, and I generally prefer the actual author to make such artistic changes. One level was unable to be 100%ed due to improperly deleted sectors (This error occurs a lot with older mapsets; there is no way to fix it without editing the map itself in modern editors), and it is now fixed. '32 Hours in Pain', the second in the trilogy, is a 32 level full replacement for TNT, and features Doomguy's wife as the playable character; thus I have changed all the normal GZDoom obituaries that one would generally run into in normal play to reflect the player is Serena, and ive also imported 'Doomgirl' sounds from Doom Expanded to replace the remaining manly oofs and grunts (The original female pain sound is left intact). Finally, the four levels with broken secrets have been fixed. The final wad in the trilogy is a three map epilogue to tie up the story, and it only needed the usual xINFO/DEHACKED lumps.

Enjay Doom and Enjay Doom II

Some call this the earliest megawad in history, so its only fitting it gets a patch. Ive patched both versions of it, and the missing secret sector in several maps have been fixed; it also restores the removed MAP31 and 32 to Enjay Doom II; these are simply edited versions of the id originals to more closely resemble the Wolfenstein originals. Enjay Doom II also has a widescreen titlepic. Nothing was made for any other custom assets however.

New Doom

Wait what, where did this come from? This is an *ancient* compilation megawad found on Maximum Doom; widescreen assets were made for it and its status bar, so I made use of them and patched it up. Now it removes the fourth episode (New Doom predates Ultimate Doom), and has impromptu automap names and WILV graphics based on the information I could find on the individual wads. I will be also doing this to other Maximum Doom megawads I find. Maximum Matt will be pleased..

Illusions of Home

A full one-man megawad sitting in Maximum Doom! Its 1994 to a fault, the first episode is, uh, 'interesting', but I did find several fun levels in the set. However a HUGE amount of levels were utterly broken, enough so that the wad is on GZDoom's automatic compatibility fixes. Ive fixed all of those levels manually, and disabled the fourth TFC episode. I did not add custom levelnames though, so all the level names are replaced by generic strings.

Dark Hell & Black Hell

Episode replacements so old that Dark Hell is not only on Maximum Doom, but it was designed with Doom 1.2 in mind. Black Hell is the sequel to Dark Hell, and ive added a 'DX' patch that adds Dark Hell to Black Hell as Episode 2, for a two-episode 1994 adventure. Both have been patched seperately as well; both now have the usual DEHACKED/xINFO, WILV graphics, and Dark Hell also has its secret level fixed to not make the player repeat E2M6 (Unless playing in Crispy, as secret exits are hardcoded in where they lead to) and E2M8's impossible to access soulspheres moved and made into multiplayer only ones.

I will end this post here, there are still more, but they need testing an readme files made (Plus, I need a break; ive been doing these for 12 hours straight for the last four days to get my plate somewhat cleared)

Fittingly, this is apparantly my 4000th post!

EDIT: Anomaly report updated, load the unity wad BEFORE the widescreen wad or you'll get 4:3 art. The slightly different unity versions were never widescreened, but it should be easy to do

Edited by Devalaous

Amazing work Devalaous!

I had thought about doing something similar, but I realized how much chore could be, and I only limited myself to doing a few.

Do you have problems with other people contributing to your topic?

I made one for Astroverse and for Holistic, but i need to check them again.

1 minute ago, Floowand said:

Amazing work Devalaous!

I had thought about doing something similar, but I realized how much chore could be, and I only limited myself to doing a few.

Do you have problems with other people contributing to your topic?

I made one for Astroverse and for Holistic, but i need to check them again.

I have a template file I use for these, keeps things relatively unified and speeds up the work considerably. These days im starting to cut down on the amount of lumps included, as its murder on my carpal tunnel to type so many of them, and all of my ports now support UMAPINFO now when using devbuilds, except Doomsday (which is a pain to support due to its conflicts) and Crispy, so im largely sticking to that now as its a cleaner format than the others. I also stick a purely cosmetic GAMEINFO lump into them all; this just changes the colours and text of ZDoom/GZDoom/Zandronum's start up box, its a nice little flavour thing, gives wads a nice presentation.

21 hours ago, Devalaous said:

I have a template file I use for these, keeps things relatively unified and speeds up the work considerably. These days im starting to cut down on the amount of lumps included, as its murder on my carpal tunnel to type so many of them, and all of my ports now support UMAPINFO now when using devbuilds, except Doomsday (which is a pain to support due to its conflicts) and Crispy, so im largely sticking to that now as its a cleaner format than the others. I also stick a purely cosmetic GAMEINFO lump into them all; this just changes the colours and text of ZDoom/GZDoom/Zandronum's start up box, its a nice little flavour thing, gives wads a nice presentation.

Yeah, since UMAP becomes available in the majority of popular ports feels kinda redundant to make the other formats.

At some point i tried to convert the Doom Core Trilogy (ZDoom version) to UMAP since i recall valkiriforce in a post mentioning that the maps are still limit-removing, i tested a lot of them in DSDA, and they worked but i kinda throw the towel since they were 77 maps with multiples intertext, interpics, endpics, etc.. and i got overwhelmed lol.

Can you share your templates?

Also i made some patches (UMAP only) for Doom 2 Unleashed

Spoiler

Doom 2 Unleashed - Quality-of-Life Patch by Floowand

Tested: DSDA-Doom
Intended: For all UMAPINFO compatibles source ports

d2u_fix:
Added selectables episodes to the menu
Extra 8 mapas available as episode 2 "NO HOPE FOR PEACE"" just as appear in ZDOOM ports.

d2u_fixost:
Same as above.
Includes the music from soundtrack wad (pccpmus.wad)

d2u_fixost+:
Same as above.
The difference in this one is that the extra 8 maps use music from the Ultimate MIDI Pack.
This was made to keep consistency in the use of custom soundtrack, since originally the 8 extra maps used the original midis from Ultimate Doom, E3M1 to E3M8

-Unknown Realm - Leonardo Silva (Palitoman) - E3M1: Hell Keep
-Swamp Ass - ZeMystic - E3M2: Slough of Despair
-Eclectic Death - Peccatum Mihzamiz - E3M3: Pandemonium
-Siege Mentality - NeilJohnRips - E3M4: House of Pain
-Forgiven Heretic - McJerb - E3M5: Unholy Cathedral
-On a Sea of Lava - Myrgharok (TheUltimateDoomer666) - E3M6: Mt. Erebus
-No More History - Cammy - E3M7: Limbo
-Mother of All Doom - Myrgharok (TheUltimateDoomer666) - E3M8: Dis

CREDITS:
Doom 2 Unleashed Team
Ultimate MIDI Pack Team
Floowand (UMAP, patch assembly)

d2u.zip

Edited by Floowand

33 minutes ago, Floowand said:

Yeah, since UMAP becomes available in the majority of popular ports feels kinda redundant to make the other formats.

At some point i tried to convert the Doom Core Trilogy (ZDoom version) to UMAP since i recall valkiriforce in a post mentioning that the maps are still limit-removing, i tested a lot of them in DSDA, and they worked but i kinda throw the towel since they were 77 maps with multiples intertext, interpics, endpics, etc.. and i got overwhelmed lol.

Can you share your templates?

Sure, I previously posted them elsewhere on the forums, but ive found and fixed a few errors since then. There is likely still something in there I need to update, thats the curse of these things, theres always one detail ive left out in some format

Doom 1 & 2 XINFO Template.zip

About the different formats; There are three things I ALWAYS include:

• Internal DEHACKED: This is for Crispy mainly, which is robust enough that it can take almost any map. By using PHUSTR, you can set names for Map 33 to 35 and maybe even beyond. Even if a wad already has an internal Dehacked, I tend to edit it and include it in the patch anyway with some cleanup of the formatting. Lack of capital letters shows up in ZDoom/GZDoom's save files and it irks me
  • GAMEINFO: This is purely presentation, if playing windowed it will show 'Alien Vendetta: Valley of Echoes' in the window, and I can stream it to discord as such. The first Hex value for the colours is the font, the second is the background, I tend to colourmatch the titlepic or other wad graphics as much as I can.
  • UMAPINFO: As its a Universal format, it should always be present, especially as it gains traction. When I initially started making these patches, I think I only had PrBoom and DSDA to test on, as GZDoom at that point, didn't load up any of my UMAPINFO patches. Today, if using dev builds, it is supported by Woof, DSDA, GZDoom and Eternity, only really leaving Crispy out (And since Crispy and Woof are by the same dude, I don't see it going into Crispy)

The other formats that tend to be in my patches:

• MAPINFO: The original standard, this is practically an older UMAPINFO in that a ton of ports will read it, no problems. Its generally safe to include this if you aim to also support older ports. Solar Struggle for example, only used UMAPINFO, no MAPINFO and no DEHACKED; as a result it was wonky on Crispy and ZDoom.
  • ZMAPINFO: ZDoom, Zandronum and GZDoom use this before all other lumps iirc, and it does offer some advantages over UMAPINFO, such as non-standard Map formats (See: BTSX with 'MAP15C' and D64ID2 with multiple B variants). It is also capable of enforcing pistol starts and removing intermission text from the usual places.
  • EMAPINFO: Eternity's EMAPINFO I mostly use for enforcing 4:3 versions of graphics in my patches, as DSDA and Woof support widescreen but Eternity does not (Unless its a statusbar! Odd distinction, but its there), and it can also be used as a stopgap for people still on official builds, as of devbuilds, it now works in tandem with UMAPINFO in a neat sort of harmony, so you can define Eternity-specific stuff in the EMAPINFO, add details in UMAPINFO that EMAPINFO doesnt support (like custom episodes), and it'll all combine in-engine. Its not perfect though; As of writing, Scythe and Perdition's Gate patches have issues with the secret levels, where one exit will print one text, and the secret will print another. This works in DSDA/Woof, but only one of them triggers in Eternity.
  • DMAPINFO: The Unity port's special format, I only include this sometimes, and its meant to be copied and pasted INTO the base wad. The Unity port can only load one wad at a time, so any patches must be fused with the base wad. Dont make my mistake with Eternal Doom; always TEST the base wad in the Unity port first to see if it runs, I made a full DMAPINFO for Eternal Doom, only to find out every level crashes afterward.
  • DD_DEFNS: Doomsday's format conflicts with MAPINFO, resulting in duplicate menu entries and all sorts of oddities. Doomsday only really supports vanilla-like wads, and does not support widescreen, so use of this format is something im starting to phase out; its the most extensive format to fill out, and the most likely to bug out.

Also when it comes to widescreen assets, I always seperate statusbars for two reasons: There is a wonderful fullscreen statusbar from NightFright for GZDoom that places the statusbar in the middle of the screen, or splits in half with parts of it on the left and right, and this mod breaks with widescreen statusbars. Most of the widescreen statusbars come from NightFright's repository, so the incompatibility is likely intentional. Secondly, as mentioned earlier, 16:9 statusbars DO work in Eternity, while the other assets like TITLEPICs do not. By keeping statusbars in a seperate wad, you maximise compatibility with various user setups.

Keeping the patches modular covers almost all users, as they can pick and choose what parts to use.

a while back, I decided to make a folder with a crispy doom installation isolated from the mess that is my normal folder, and put all the unity versions of the "official add-ons" in there along with the normal iwads.  but, recently I decided instead of the unity versions, I would use the standard versions and apply your patches to them to see if it would result in better consistency (except for Harmony and Scientist, as the non-zdoom Harmony hasn't been released outside of unity yet, nor has the updated Scientist, but I believe Roland said he's waiting for the idgames archive to approve it).  I'm prooobably doing this the dumbest way possible, by making separate .bat files for each mapset, because I have yet to learn how autoload folders work.  but, in doing it this way, I've noticed some weird little things here and there.  for instance, the "Plutonia Widescreen Assets" wad (made by Scuba Steve, I think?) doesn't actually include the widescreen version of F1 help menu, so I have to run both the Doom 2 and Plutonia widescreen wads just for that.  I'm also using the Sprite Fixing Project wads, and I've noticed there seems to be some incompatibility between them and the episode 2 name lump that requires loading them in a specific order.

anyway, most of that has nothing specifically to do with this post.  but what does is that I noticed the deathless widescreen titlepic and credit lumps are in png format rather than doom format, and as a result they crash crispy doom lol.  I fixed them in slade on my end, but you might wanna update them.  I still have several 'official add-ons' to go so I'll come back if I find more of these bugs.  (I'm also not planning to check out the patches that dont apply to the official add-ons, at least not today, so if there are other errors someone else will have to find them)
edit - revolution_origws.wad is another with pngs (though honestly I dunno who'd prefer this over the new one lol)
and a minor, not game-breaking thing: in the BTSX readme's (both episodes), you have "btsxe_ws/btsxe_ws_unity" listed twice rather than the "wsbar" that should be in the 2nd part lol :p

Edited by MugMonster

Thanks for the error reports, I tend to always forget one small thing somewhere, especially when im preparing about 10 or so for release at once

EDIT: Also yeah, I wont be doing anything for Harmony or the new Scientist, as the authors themselves are releasing those versions. I do have patches for the original Scientist and Scientist 2 though, they were supposed to be posted in the last group but I outright forgot. I'll release them later for people that feel like playing the older releases

EDIT2: Fixed Deathless and the BTSX readmes. Plutonia does indeed have the widescreen HELP screen, as does TNT, the lump count is actually the same across all three, the only difference is the TITLEPIC, INTERPIC and BOSSBACK. Doesn't the spritefix wad have a version of the helpscreen that interferes if the load order is wrong?

Edited by Devalaous

1 hour ago, Devalaous said:

Plutonia does indeed have the widescreen HELP screen, as does TNT, the lump count is actually the same across all three, the only difference is the TITLEPIC, INTERPIC and BOSSBACK. Doesn't the spritefix wad have a version of the helpscreen that interferes if the load order is wrong?

I must have an older version or something cos Slade says those lumps arent there

image.png.ff8872178601b37327025d45035ab361.png

image.png.94c226062e130a23be475680029577b1.png

2 hours ago, MugMonster said:

I must have an older version or something cos Slade says those lumps arent there

image.png.ff8872178601b37327025d45035ab361.png

image.png.94c226062e130a23be475680029577b1.png

Ah, thats not my pack. Mine is 'Widescreen.zip' with 'doom2_ws.wad', 'plut_ws.wad' and 'tnt_ws.wad', they all have 116.49 kb TITLEPIC, INTERPIC, CREDIT, HELP and BOSSBACK, with a SHT2EO sprite inbetween an S_START and S_END, all sourced from Nash's graphics. The 88.62 kb lumps there are likely Scuba's 16:9 art from his google drive or from the official asset pack

Anyway, thanks to a hint from Xaser, I will be doing something for sci2023.wad afterall; A small mod packed with the other Scientist patches that restores the soundtrack. I'm running out of old things to patch :p

I'm currently going through the patches and updating the UMAPINFO in all the Doom 2/Final Doom wads; apparantly 'EndGame = true' on Map 30 does not trigger the Cast Call on all ports, despite saying on the documentation something along the lines of  'trigger the default ending for this slot'. DSDA and Woof did, but GZDoom did not, and since my more recent patches have only UMAPINFO to save my wrists, this had to be changed to 'EndCast = true' on all of them. Never cut corners folks.

In the process I discovered my PRCP2 wad was very broken, so that definitely needs a redownload, whoops!

I'm also updating the Master Levels patch in the process, which will be getting a PS3 and Xbox mode as additional options

EDIT: All updates complete! CC2, CC3 and Reverie now also have UMAPINFO lumps; they aren't really needed, but in the future if a port doesn't read the embedded Boom-format Dehacked or MAPINFO, but does read UMAPINFO, they are now covered!

Edited by Devalaous

A while ago I posted a collection of ZMAPINFO lumps that I had made for a whole bunch of different pwads. I don't know if they're helpful since you have your own template and mine probably don't adhere to it, but I'll link them just in case. Feel free to use, modify and include them in your patches if you think they're useful. If I can make a small contribution to your wrists' health I'll be very happy :P

Thank you for all the wonderful patches! I've started using them even for pwads where I have my own, because of the added QOL in your versions.

On 8/20/2023 at 8:12 PM, brick said:

A while ago I posted a collection of ZMAPINFO lumps that I had made for a whole bunch of different pwads. I don't know if they're helpful since you have your own template and mine probably don't adhere to it, but I'll link them just in case. Feel free to use, modify and include them in your patches if you think they're useful. If I can make a small contribution to your wrists' health I'll be very happy :P

Thank you for all the wonderful patches! I've started using them even for pwads where I have my own, because of the added QOL in your versions.

Some of the stuff in your collection ive already done but haven't released, theres also some stuff in there ive actually never heard of, gives me things to look into in the future. Only so much time in the day though.

Stuff coming in the future once its tested and the readmes are written:

• Mars War
  • Doom Junior and Project X (Cyb groans in the distance)
  • Suitcase of Gor
  • Heroes 1 and 2
  • More Maximum Doom 1994/1995 megawad patches ('Why?' DW asks)
  • Scientist, Scientist 2 and Scientist 2023
  • Obituary
  • 10 Sectors - Part 2 (I forgot to upload this one in the last round, alongside the Scientist ones)
  • TV1998
  • Herian (Maybe Herian 2 also, but as a ZDoom release theres not much to do there)
  • Hellbound (Just widescreen stuff iirc)
  • H2H Xmas
  • Whitemare
  • 'The Best Wad Ever' (Matt Tropiano's earliest Doom megawad, I beleive its only available on his website now)
  • Final Gathering, Artifact, Welcome to Hell, UCA, Wasteland (A bunch of small 3 to 5 level wads from the early days of Doom)
  • The '1024' series (Congestion and both Cluastrophobias)
  • D64ID2 (I think this just needs widescreen and a UMAPINFO)
  • Heretic Midi Pack converted to Doom 2; perfect for Herian and Herian 2. Also updated to enable 'Episode 6' in Heretic, and with support for the original Heretic

I would also like to do Realm of Chaos, but I don't want to step on Cammy's toes; I'll look into patching the original release AFTER the big anniversary edition is done and dusted. A lot of these wads are weird, I know, a lot of it is stuff I played and immediately thought 'I should give this a DEHACKED for level names' then went for the full patch routine, ha. Besides, I know a bunch of people enjoy playing the early releases of community legends and seeing how far they have come.

EDIT: Fixed an error in Revolution's 'fixint' patch that made GZDoom abort on starting, caused by removing the episode definition, but not removing the 'clearepisodes' line. There may be more of these errors, report them if they pop up and I'll fix it ASAP

EDIT2: Equinox is also coming, its another one I finished but forgot about

Edited by Devalaous