Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DSC

Pieces Of Media You Can't Believe Were Made By The Same Person?

On 6/4/2023 at 11:59 AM, heliumlamb said:

the throughline from virtua racing & daytona usa to yakuza makes sense when your mentor's throughline went from outrun & hang-on to shenmue.

What am I going to hear next, did the Virtua Fighter studio go on to develop Sonic R?

14 hours ago, houston said:

What am I going to hear next, did the Virtua Fighter studio go on to develop Sonic R?

no, virtua fighter was also AM2, its DNA is definitely in shenmue's combat. whereas Sonic R was done by Traveller's Tales, who worked on Puggsy, Sonic 3D Blast, Toy Story and many of the LEGO Star Wars games.

David Lynch's "Straight Story" has basically nothing in common with any of his other movies. It's a wholesome family film based on a true story. Everything else he made is... not.

image.png.28570cfec47937fe9b73c7ff60a6df09.pngimage.png.2e05bb7897a4fa0f7c547ea050822c3b.png

Both soundtracks made by Mick Gordon (never actually played the first one but I can imagine what it's probably like since I grew up playing a lot of Nickelodeon games lol)

Street_Fighter_game_flyer.png

Fatal_Fury_-_King_of_Fighters_arcade_fly

Probably most people doesn't know that 2 of the most influential and beloved fighting franchises were made by the same person, Takashi Nishiyama.

Also, he's the founder of Dimps, better known for making most of the modern Dragon Ball games, like Budokai/Budokai Tenkaichi and XenoVerse games.

19 hours ago, DogsRNice said:

Both soundtracks made by Mick Gordon (never actually played the first one but I can imagine what it's probably like since I grew up playing a lot of Nickelodeon games lol)

Fun Fact: He also worked in the Wii/3DS versions of NFS The Run soundtrack 

Blade.jpg?v=1621702140

yEweEBsduyhUyFQaEpOpzDIUok.jpg

Same director. If you fancy some old-school low-budget sci-fi shocker action, give Death Machine a go. Be warned though, it is DISTILLED 90's.

The same company that made this:

Lemmings-Logo.png

Also made this:

Grand_Theft_Auto_2001.svg

Another example:

3943896-descent-dos-front-cover.jpg

Who would later go on to make the Saints Row series.

Edited by Panzermann11

John Carmack co-created both Commander Keen and DOOM. Two games that are completely different on both their tone, style, genre and target-demographic (Keen is a kids game. DOOM is meant to be for an older audience.)

image.png.9a06eab31c17a99ccd03866df2fab603.pngimage.png.59ca82fa04002feb059157b58d1deb12.png

Outside of the shared jank I have to wonder if Swery has undiagnosed multiple personality disorder where one is a strange gremlin man and the other is one of the most brilliant thoughtful motherfuckers to ever live.

On 7/7/2023 at 7:59 AM, ConMan3222 said:

John Carmack co-created both Commander Keen and DOOM. Two games that are completely different on both their tone, style, genre and target-demographic (Keen is a kids game. DOOM is meant to be for an older audience.)

Carmack really only made the engines, so it not really all that surprising.

Who I would definitely mention here is Tom Hall. He was the lead designer of both Commander Keen games and Rise of the Triad. Those two are so different from each other. Commander Keen being a cute and kid friendly game series while ROTT being arguably the most gory fps of the time of its release.

Edited by ReaperAA

On 6/3/2023 at 10:05 PM, continuum.mid said:

Also, Neil Cicierega (aka Lemon Demon, Trapezoid) is an archetypal example of this. Compare these two videos:

Oh you mean the creator of Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny, Potter Puppet Pals, Ariel Needs Legs, Brodyquest, Spirit Phone, and Mouth Sounds?

On 7/6/2023 at 7:59 PM, ConMan3222 said:

Wasnt john romero created the games?
John carmack only created the engines.

On 7/5/2023 at 1:15 PM, Manny84 said:

David Lynch's "Straight Story" has basically nothing in common with any of his other movies. It's a wholesome family film based on a true story. Everything else he made is... not.

It does retain some Lynchian tropes, like the lady asking how to dial 911.

3 hours ago, Ozcar said:

Wasnt john romero created the games?
John carmack only created the engines.

None of Id's games were the product of a single person. They're all a team effort.

Okay, so, can someone explain to me, please, how CroTeam went from crazy action shooters with MASSIVE hordes of enemies in the form of the Serious Sam games, to a puzzle game the likes of The Talos Principle? Anyone? Please?

Not THAT hard to believe the more you watch both, but these excellent cartoons are both Brendon Small's:

dethklok_00398204.jpgHome%20Movies.png

Friendly reminder that this is from the same creator of Henry Stickmin, a Flash game series from the early 2010's.

Among_Us_cover_art.jpg

Edited by Panzermann11

14 hours ago, openroadracer said:

Okay, so, can someone explain to me, please, how CroTeam went from crazy action shooters with MASSIVE hordes of enemies in the form of the Serious Sam games, to a puzzle game the likes of The Talos Principle? Anyone? Please?

They created a prototype for a puzzle mechanic for some iteration or other of Serious Sam 4, decided it didn’t fit, and went “wait a sec, we can still cook with this…”

It’s not the most dramatic of origin stories, but it’s the truth.

Martin Scorsese, whose The Wolf of Wall Street contained 569 f-bombs and is widely considered one of the most controversial Hollywood movies ever made, who made Taxi Driver, Goodfellas, and other movies of that nature, also directed the PG-rated family epic "fantasy action adventure" film Hugo only two years prior.