Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BlueSonnet

I need help with my doom skin

It's not down to implementing sounds and graphics or how to make the skin work in general.

It's just that i'm running out of ideas and i should be ashamed of coming to that situation.

Basically the skin that i'm working on is the final version of the tstuke skin that i've done. This version will emphasize with my cartoon tiger man appearance (kinda like wildcats). The link below shows what i'm on about (be gentle).
(warning: this is a little cute. It also appears to be a hit with the ladies but that's not open to debate)
http://www.gravitoncity.com/gallery/tstukeother/tstchan_2

The question raised here is how should i create it? I'm feeling tempted to use the freedoommarine as a base but i don't wanna get flamed. Any ideas or suggestions?

btw a few pointers:

1. I don't see myself as a big celebrity with doomskinning. It's just that doomskinning was what helped me get back into doom. Alongside with sound\graphic replacing, doomskinning is the editing topic that i'm most familiar with.
2. Yes the tstuke, sonny, and subterra skins on boingo's webpage are shyte, but that's OK because i was a n00b when i created them. Furthermore i have updated them since then. If anyone wants them gimme your e-mail address and i'll send you them.
3. If anyone suggests using someone else's skin as a base i will obviously give the doomskinner credit (unless the skin has been changed so much that it doesn't look like their skin).

Nice drawing! ^_^

...You CAN use the FreeDoom space marine as a base sprite.

BlueSonnet said:

Basically the skin that i'm working on is the final version of the tstuke skin that i've done. This version will emphasize with my cartoon tiger man appearance (kinda like wildcats). The link below shows what i'm on about (be gentle).
(warning: this is a little cute. It also appears to be a hit with the ladies but that's not open to debate)
http://www.gravitoncity.com/gallery/tstukeother/tstchan_2

Looks like we've got a winner. :)

Kirby X said:

Nice drawing! ^_^

...You CAN use the FreeDoom space marine as a base sprite. Ask fraggle about it.

huh? no need to ask about it, freedoom means FREE.

In reply to Kirby_x: Sorry it took me a while before replying a "thank you!" i was a little preoccupied.
In reply to Ravage: The sound of that makes me feel nervous.
In reply to Torn: It's free? Makes sense i guess. I hold onto that thought.

Any other suggestions before i get down to work?

I was thinking about using the James sfx (Q3A TA) for this skin.

taken from the freedoom site (freedoom.sf.net)

The Freedoom project has already succeeded in creating a complete set of replacement textures for the original Doom games, as well as a large amount of extra material (sound effects, graphics, sprites, etc). All of the Freedoom material can be freely redistributed, modified and reused without restriction provided credit is given to the project.

Okay. At least i've got the sprite issue sorted out. I'm assuming that Fraggle is the freedoom author considering that he uses a freedomm dopefish.

*listening to James sfx*

hmm..might have to alter the pitch.

The Freedoom project has already succeeded in creating a complete set of replacement textures for the original Doom games, as well as a large amount of extra material (sound effects, graphics, sprites, etc). All of the Freedoom material can be freely redistributed, modified and reused without restriction provided credit is given to the project.

So we waive any rights to our work by putting them into freedoom? Not that I care, nor expect fame and fortune, just curious.

Come to think of it what should the sfx be like? I'm aiming for something that sounds my age (i'll be 17 by wednesday). I can't do voice acting because i suck at it (although i could give it a try now). I'm caught between altering the following sounds.

1) James (q3a ta)
2) some tronic sfx (from the tronic wad).

BlueSonnet said:

In reply to Ravage: The sound of that makes me feel nervous.

What, you know where I got that quote from? Heh. :)

ravage said:

What, you know where I got that quote from? Heh. :)

Oh it's nothing. I just though i was gonna get losered (afaik you have to be a pain in the butt but not break the rules to be losered).

The new TST skin is nearly finished. I just have to
a) Finish adding the tail
b) finish the gib animation
c) choose suitable sfx (Looks like the James one will do)

I'll it up on my new website soon, not that i'll start a new thread about this skin on it's own, because it doesn't seem as big as say a new level or something.

If i'm feeling quick i'll do the new subterra skin and put that on my site too.

Why am i saying this? Because

a) it would appear that two players online have to be using the wad for both players to see it
b) The new skulltag skins (except for anthrax) left me a little unimpressed so i may give them a hand if needby (must check my skedual)

edit: I know i've spelt skedual wrong. I just know it.