Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hashbee

Yet another my first wad; "antibase"

hello there :)

I finished my first doom II wad today; doomshack.org/uploads/antibase.zip

The title will make sense by the end of the map. Should take 5-10 minutes to beat. Read the txt in the zip if you want more info :)

Thanks for playing, criticism much appreciated.

1.png

3.png

Didn't expect the switch to be the exit so I left by accident. Usually you want to mark those with some kind of 'exit' structure, like a little 32-unit by 8-unit exit sign. Replayed because the map is very short.

A couple shotgunners were stuck. If you're testing a vanilla/limit-removing/Boom/etc. wad in GZDoom, that can happen because it's more permissive with enemy movement. Would also suggest turning off "circular things" if you're using it and your editor allows that change -- monsters are really squares in the engine, so circles will misrepresent their positions and make them clip into walls or hang over ledges even when the circle fits. (edit: Although looking in the editor, these hang over by so much that I'm not sure if they're meant to be unstuck anymore.)

The pit spectres down below are awkward to kill and mostly factor into play with their infinitely tall bites, which won't happen in GZDoom with inf. height off. Tanking the damage is possible, but something you can do if you want the player to kill those is have a small lip of safe ground before the teleporter, because otherwise there's no reason to drop down.

I avoiding killing the computer imps at first purely because that was fun to do. But I avoided killing the barons at the end because there was no incentive to do so and I didn't have any rockets left. It's tough for the secret chainsaw to be used on anything, so that might be a good spot for extra rockets instead.

One thing the map is doing interestingly is that each room (that isn't a tiny annex) is attempting to have constructs in it, rather than rooms simply being simple shapes. Catwalk room, computer room, "key on a barrier you lower" room, etc. You also have the hang of the skyhack trick. (Also, being able to use the skies as cover actually feels neat in that room, even though it's not ordinarily a desired effect.) 

Short but sweet - I agree with @baja blast rd.'s comment about skipping the Barons at the end - not much of an incentive to fight them when you can gun it to the end.

I think The Walkway over the Nukage could do with do with a nasty trap - something to startle the player and threaten them with a fall. Also I think you could spread the Gear in the blue computer room out across the map rather than all in one place - that room screamed "Boss Prep" to me :P 

Overall though - I would call this a solid start! I liked the Sky-Room in particular, it took me totally off guard! 

Fun map! Nice layout overall. I like how you designed each room as a kind of set piece. Keep mapping!

I've just tested the game on chocolate doom; for some reason there's a hall of mirrors effect in the final room of the map, which isn't present when played with gzdoom. Anyone got any idea what I did wrong there?

This is pretty good for a first wad! Pretty decent difficulty and pacing. The Sky Room was also pretty nice to look at! 

8 hours ago, Hashbee said:

I've just tested the game on chocolate doom; for some reason there's a hall of mirrors effect in the final room of the map, which isn't present when played with gzdoom. Anyone got any idea what I did wrong there?

That's probably software rendering mode I'd say. It doesnt like the 'Leave the wall texture blank' trick to extend the skybox. 

On 5/29/2023 at 8:32 PM, DM_Workz said:

That's probably software rendering mode I'd say. It doesnt like the 'Leave the wall texture blank' trick to extend the skybox.  

Yeah that was it; I found a way of creating the same effect that still works with software rendering so I'll use that next time :)