Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lizardcommando

Do you use hardware renderer or software renderer when you use GZDoom?

Do you use hardware renderer or software renderer when you use GZDoom?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these two renderer types in GZDoom do you use?

• Hardware renderer
    • Software renderer

I noticed when people were playing my latest maps in GZDoom, they were using software rendering. I always assumed everyone stuck with the hardware renderer. Now it has me curious as to who uses the hardware renderer or software renderer when using GZDoom.

Given that you can set the hardware renderer to look essentially indistinguishable from the software renderer with the right Display settings, and that for most people the hardware renderer will perform significantly better (especially in Vulkan mode), there's little reason not to use it.

However, some people just like the coziness of the software renderer, so prefer to stick to that.

Either way, as a map author if your level requires the hardware renderer due to the effects you're using, just make sure to specify that in the readme.

2 hours ago, Bauul said:

Given that you can set the hardware renderer to look essentially indistinguishable from the software renderer with the right Display settings

I never managed to get the lighting and palettes to look quite right. Nevertheless, I usually play with the hardware renderer, because the software renderer makes me very nauseous (not just in DOOM, mind you, Duke also makes me want to puke).

2 hours ago, Bauul said:

Given that you can set the hardware renderer to look essentially indistinguishable from the software renderer with the right Display settings

GZDoom's hardware renderer doesn't support software's sprite clipping, causing everything to either be cut off at the feet or pushed some pixels upwards off the floor making everything look taller. It'll also cut off Revenants heads in short rooms.

Edited by Edward850

Software exactly because of what Edward said. Can't stand the sight of corpses with hardware renderer.

I tried to enable Y shearing while playing in VR, but sadly it didn't work =/

I used to use hardware but grew to love software a lot more.

I use software unless I'm playing very large levels that have performance problems.

I like the idea of the Vulkan renderer, but it doesn't work right for me. Stuff appears/disappears or is clipped in very bad ways.

I prefer software for reasons like what Edward described above, but usually the only time I'm using GZDoom is when something requires hardware rendering, so...

I use Vulkan because it is much faster than software, and much much faster than OpenGL.

11 hours ago, Bauul said:

Given that you can set the hardware renderer to look essentially indistinguishable from the software renderer with the right Display settings, and that for most people the hardware renderer will perform significantly better (especially in Vulkan mode), there's little reason not to use it.

That's me in a nutshell, Bauul! Thanks to this particular video by @Dwars, I like to try and make GZ look as close to Vanilla with a lot of the bells and whistles turned off. I like to use things like banded lighting and the Palette tonemap to help bring out the classic look, while also allowing for some some minimal preference layered on top such as Dynamic Lighting:

Spoiler

77ZK2yO.png

As one of those heathens who prefers to have mouselook enabled, I like being able to look up like this:

Spoiler

SyuEOw8.png

Naturally, because this is Hardware Acceleration trickery, I can't do that with the old Software Renderer:

Spoiler

BwwwaAaAaAaAaAaAaAaAaAaAaH!

1kIkLLr.png

And so, that's why I'm on Team Hardware Renderer.

I tend to use GZDoom only for maps and mods that use it. I usually go the hardware rendering route, but sometimes there’s a wad with a customized color palette and a great software look that I can’t exactly recreate through hardware rendering settings. On those occasions I switch to software rendering.

Hell I don't even use GZDoom as my daily source port (That title goes to Doom Retro and OG DOS), so most of the time I use GZDoom, it's for a mod that specifically requires it, or they want me to test a UDMF map or whatever.

As for the question: Hardware Vulkan on GZDoom, Software on pretty much everything else.

9 hours ago, Edward850 said:

GZDoom's hardware renderer doesn't support software's sprite clipping, causing everything to either be cut off at the feet or pushed some pixels upwards off the floor making everything look taller. It'll also cut off Revenants heads in short rooms.

Ah very true! I was mostly thinking about the banded lighting model and color palette found in software, I'd forgotten all about sprite clipping. 

1 hour ago, esselfortium said:

I prefer software for reasons like what Edward described above, but usually the only time I'm using GZDoom is when something requires hardware rendering, so...

Also this. These days if something requires GZDoom, it's probably using effects that also require the hardware renderer anyway. I suspect GZDoom-specific releases that could happily be played in both renderer types are relatively few these days.

I'll switch between them on any given day for any or no reason at all. Sometimes the floor clipping and/or height difference bugs me, sometimes not. Usually hardware if mouselook is required, and most mods I use do look better with the floor clipping in hardware mode (the footprints in Nashgore aren't visible in software afaik), but almost always software with Hexen in order to get the bold blue color of the stained glass to look right.

Software renderer only.

When I switched to gzdoom, at first I knew nothing about renderers, only noticed that everything became murky and dark. After a while I decided to research this, because I really hated how everything looked.

I then tried for a long time to make hardware renderer look as close to software renderer as possible, but the best thing I could get was still giving me muddier colors and everything being darker and just less exciting visually. I then switched to software renderer and never looked back.

I am on a powerful laptop, so performance is rarely an issue for me, if ever.

I voted for the HW renderer

OpenGLES backend, specifically, since it performs better than OpenGL and is more stable than Vulkan

I have to thank Intel for that.. their driver support for my Iris XE is subpar

funny thing is, there are scenarios like Eviternity's MAP26 where I need to switch to the SW Renderer because it performs better 

anyway, here are the relevant cvars from my ini file

gl_enhanced_nightvision false
gl_fogmode 1
gl_fuzztype 6
gl_lightmode 8
gl_particles_style 0
gl_texture_filter 0
r_drawfuzz 1
r_fakecontrast 2
r_linearsky true
r_vanillatrans 3
vid_preferbackend 2
vid_rendermode 4
vid_scalefactor 0.5

13 hours ago, Bauul said:

I thought so too but the banding palette effect in hardware mode does not look the same as in software, unless i'm missing something.

I use software in all maps except the ones that require hardware or are too detailed, like Eviternity.

I get better performance with software renderer for unknown reasons.

Hardware, because

• I'm not particularly snobby about whether it looks exactly like vanilla Doom
  • I'm probably playing something that uses GZDoom features anyway
  • Y-shearing is absolutely horrible.

Yeah, I would say it's primarily a matter of convenience or familiarity when people prefer to use the software renderer. One peculiarity I have noticed between the two is with certain skins; my own custom player skin, for example, displays differently between the two. It also initially wasn't bobbing up and down properly (changing z height) in hardware renderer until I edited some obscure settings, whereas it was doing it properly to begin with in software.

Overall, if you know how to navigate GZDoom's settings well, I would say hardware renderer is almost completely better.

12 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Enlighten me - would this be something that's difficult to implement?

Well now you guys got me curious about lighting in Doom too. I realized that I had been using the Doom Legacy Sector Lighting Mode the entire time. I really need to be careful about how lighting is done in different Sector Lighting modes in future maps.

3 hours ago, Individualised said:

Enlighten me - would this be something that's difficult to implement?

It's been done, Strife:VE and Doom64 both have there own ways of doing it (Strife draws on a second buffer, 64 has no Z buffer). Graf Zahl has stated before that he thinks it either can't be done in GZ or would be too slow.

Edited by Edward850

Software for "classic" Doom (4:3, no interpolation, no freelook etc) hardware for everything else.

Finally noticed the differences in sprite clipping between software and hardware rendering (not just in GZDoom but also DSDA-Doom) so now that's hardware acceleration spoiled for me forever

I mean I'll still use Hardware for maps that require GZDoom since they'll usually expect you to be on it anyways, but I guess I'll be switching back to software for DSDA