Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Egregor

SOLVED: Heretic vanilla: How do I replace Heretic's sprite textures with custom ones?

Question

SOLVED: I had the sprite beginning and end markers listed improperly as SS_START and SS_END, switching them to S_START and S_END solved this issue.

Background: IWAD: Heretic, Editor: Slade 3 v3.2.0 beta 3, Engine: Crispy-Heretic 5.12.0

I am creating a custom texture pack for Heretic and have been (mostly) successful. I even have a few obstacle sprite textures that I have replaced with custom ones. These replacement sprite textures appear when running ZDoom and GZDoom but with Crispy-Heretic they do not appear, instead the original sprite textures appear in their place. They have been named like the sprites they are to replace, and ZDoom and GZDoom DOES successfully replace them, but Crispy-Heretic does NOT.

I'm trying to get my custom sprites to appear in Crispy-Heretic as well. I'm not sure what the issue is here. Does vanilla Heretic require sprites to be folded into the PNAMES and TEXTUREx lumps as well? What am I missing? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited by Egregor

8 answers to this question

Crispy doesn't.... Did you have the same problem on chocolate heretic and dos?
The only thing i can suggest is to use HHE for vanilla editing.

I haven't tried those engines, but I'll check. I don't know anything about HHE but I'll look into it. Thanks for the tip.

For clarification:
From what i gathered Heretic editing is quite quirky. Basically you have 2 extremes that depends on what you want to do.

If you want full visual editing you can use GZDoom and forks of it, its the easiest method.

Vanilla on the other hand supports only texture replacement. Sprites and monster editing can be done there through dehacked equivalent tool called HHE , but its in DOS, and have its own quirks, i suggest to look for Ettingrinder's legacy site with tutorials. And only DOS and Chocolate Heretic supports HHE files.

Sheet of what can be edited going like this:

Gzdoom=Textures, sprites, monsters, maps i.e. Full editing.
Chocolate\Dos=Textures,maps. (Mosters,sprites through HHE).I.E The only way to fully edit vanilla.
Other ports=Textures , maps. i.e what everyone is doing aka mapping and just changing textures without sprites.

Edited by INfront95

The only sprite replacements I have planned are texture replacements for the 2 stalagmites (floor spikes) and the 2 pillars. These are each getting replaced with a different tree texture.

Now, these sprite texture replacements are already successfully rendering in: Ultimate Doom Builder, Doom Builder 2, GZDoom, and ZDoom. The replacements currently do NOT appear in Crispy-Heretic. They are currently untested in Chocolate-Doom/Heretic, DOS, and DSDA (I hear a big update was just released, so I will be testing here as well). My goal is to get it as close to vanilla compatible as possible.

From my understanding of what you posted I will need to get familiar with Heretic Hack Editor to get a functional vanilla compatible patch. I'll look into Ettingrinder's tutorials. Thank you!

Do you have S_START and S_END markers immediately before and after your replacement sprites?

For example, as shown for a simple widescreen assets wad:

image.png

1 hour ago, mikeday said:

Do you have S_START and S_END markers immediately before and after your replacement sprites?

For example, as shown for a simple widescreen assets wad:

image.png

Solved! For some reason I had them listed as SS_Start and SS_end, so fixing this allowed them to render properly in Crispy-Heretic!

3 hours ago, mikeday said:

I think SS_START and SS_END should also work. (Make sure they are uppercase)

...It was one SS and one S so they were mismatched. Anyways it is working now