Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomerSergio

Island Descent 1.2.wad

Recommended Posts

Hello,

 

I'm new to Doom modding, and I decided to make this map for fun. It took me 7 days to make, lasts around 10 to 15 minutes, and is mildly difficult. Mouselook, jump and crouch are allowed, though not required.

Rather linear run-and-gun, this map takes place entirely on an island, which includes going in caves under it.

After an entire year from release, I updated the wad to fix many of its issues! I hope you enjoy.

 

Made with Vanilla Doom 2.

Tested with GZDoom.

GZDoom lights are recommended.

 

Download: https://doomshack.org/uploads/IsleDesc1.2.zip

(idgames download coming soon)

title.png.397c6c3f533a2619f4af26e64441e715.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

4.png.5c0b8316b3f1b90c83c8ea3398c452cb.png

Edited by DoomerSergio

Share this post


Link to post

Hi, I've just finished trying out your WAD.
I really enjoyed playing through it.
The theme was interesting with the island design.
The map design / layout was easy to navigate.
The sea texture was not my favorite...
The texture painting you did is beautifully done!
Very simplistic for a first WAD & I LOVE IT! ^-^

Share this post


Link to post

OP, if you're talking about something moving at a downward trajectory, it's spelled descent. Just a friendly tip.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Subatomic said:

OP, if you're talking about something moving at a downward trajectory, it's spelled descent. Just a friendly tip.

Haha fuck.

Thanks for the heads up, fixed it.

Edited by DoomerSergio

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, SakuraFalls said:

Hi, I've just finished trying out your WAD.
I really enjoyed playing through it.
The theme was interesting with the island design.
The map design / layout was easy to navigate.
The sea texture was not my favorite...
The texture painting you did is beautifully done!
Very simplistic for a first WAD & I LOVE IT! ^-^

Thank you so much!!!

And yeah, with only a single water texture (or 4 if you count the slightly different versions) in Doom 2 I sadly didn't have many options to work with, oh well.

Also what do you mean by texture painting?

Share this post


Link to post

Hey this was pretty neat! Great first map honestly, with a clear display of you trying out many of the editor features. Easy navigation as @SakuraFalls said and lovely to see that when you obtain a key you get spat out pretty close to the door that needs it (Wonderful!).

 

A bit simplistic in level design but that's something that improves with repetition and experience. Also I super appreciate the distinct lack of monster closet ambushes (OHlawd I hate them) and also the liberal use of "autosaves" :) That's also great practice from a game design perspective given you also have insta-death ledgedrops. Played with GZDoom on HMP cos I'm a filthy casual and didn't encounter any bugs. Looking forward to more content from you :)

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Wo0p said:

Hey this was pretty neat! Great first map honestly, with a clear display of you trying out many of the editor features. Easy navigation as @SakuraFalls said and lovely to see that when you obtain a key you get spat out pretty close to the door that needs it (Wonderful!).

 

A bit simplistic in level design but that's something that improves with repetition and experience. Also I super appreciate the distinct lack of monster closet ambushes (OHlawd I hate them) and also the liberal use of "autosaves" :) That's also great practice from a game design perspective given you also have insta-death ledgedrops. Played with GZDoom on HMP cos I'm a filthy casual and didn't encounter any bugs. Looking forward to more content from you :)

I'm genuinely flattered by all of this, specially since I don't know if I'll do another wad in the future cus with this one I found making them takes too much time  due to my perfectionism. I'll see if I get the spark in the future.

Either way, thank you!

Also HMP is how I play too lol, I only play on Ultra-Violence if I don't mind having to savescum here and there.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, DoomerSergio said:

I'm genuinely flattered by all of this, specially since I don't know if I'll do another wad in the future cus with this one I found making them takes too much time  due to my perfectionism. I'll see if I get the spark in the future.

Either way, thank you!

Also HMP is how I play too lol, I only play on Ultra-Violence if I don't mind having to savescum here and there.

 

You're welcome :D

That's fine, if you only make this map I totally understand but you do seem to have a knack for making fun gameplay so I hope the design bug bites you sometime in the future ;)
And about the difficulty I'm completely the same hehe. I like my power fantasies and I'm not the greatest player so..

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, DoomerSergio said:

I'm genuinely flattered by all of this, specially since I don't know if I'll do another wad in the future cus with this one I found making them takes too much time  due to my perfectionism. I'll see if I get the spark in the future.

Either way, thank you!

Also HMP is how I play too lol, I only play on Ultra-Violence if I don't mind having to savescum here and there.

Hi, I understand that it takes so much time to create WAD.
Especially when perfectionism is trying to take over.
Either way, I hope you return to creating WADS!
You seem to have some unique design ideas! ^-^

Share this post


Link to post

Hey! Had a 100% kill playthrough and I must say I enjoyed it a lot! I haven't played any island themed maps yet and it felt like I'm on a long deserved vacation. Some imported palm sprites would just solidify the feel :3 I appreciate all the dynamic lights you've put everywhere.

 

 This sludge room looked very cool. Felt like im in bowels of some island tech lab

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20230602_200217.png.bf511d6b4a76c4cd5514dcf238a48212.png

 

These light gradient are just.. mm. very good. I need to step up my sector brightness game for sure.

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20230602_200837.png.dfdc14f2eb81159c90b8da9933a60e56.pngScreenshot_Doom_20230602_200900.png.890cd3723d51edbcfe08401254919042.png

 

There was this old shooter called "Vivisector", set in island/lab theme that I and my dad used to play a lot and this map definitely brought back the nostalgia feels. Mission accomplished i'd say.

 

Now onto a few criticisms:

  • I'm a pleb who found only two secrets and had to shoot the entire map with a regular shotgun. Killing archie and mastermind with it was definitely a feat of strength for me. Wouldn't mind a freebie weapon to tackle last monsters..
  • Some doors have unpegged textures
  • Some thin rocky walkways were just screaming to trap me with monsters from both sides. On the other side, having no survival stress is nice too.
  • Those doublesided midtextures of wooden walls in the beginning were the only thing i truly didn't like. Also engine allows for imp explosions to clip thru them.

Great stuff all in all and now i feel that i need to research for more island themed wads to play :D 

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/2/2023 at 1:26 PM, StellarWind said:

Hey! Had a 100% kill playthrough and I must say I enjoyed it a lot! I haven't played any island themed maps yet and it felt like I'm on a long deserved vacation. Some imported palm sprites would just solidify the feel :3 I appreciate all the dynamic lights you've put everywhere.

 

 This sludge room looked very cool. Felt like im in bowels of some island tech lab

  Hide contents

Screenshot_Doom_20230602_200217.png.bf511d6b4a76c4cd5514dcf238a48212.png

 

These light gradient are just.. mm. very good. I need to step up my sector brightness game for sure.

  Hide contents

Screenshot_Doom_20230602_200837.png.dfdc14f2eb81159c90b8da9933a60e56.pngScreenshot_Doom_20230602_200900.png.890cd3723d51edbcfe08401254919042.png

 

There was this old shooter called "Vivisector", set in island/lab theme that I and my dad used to play a lot and this map definitely brought back the nostalgia feels. Mission accomplished i'd say.

 

Now onto a few criticisms:

  • I'm a pleb who found only two secrets and had to shoot the entire map with a regular shotgun. Killing archie and mastermind with it was definitely a feat of strength for me. Wouldn't mind a freebie weapon to tackle last monsters..
  • Some doors have unpegged textures
  • Some thin rocky walkways were just screaming to trap me with monsters from both sides. On the other side, having no survival stress is nice too.
  • Those doublesided midtextures of wooden walls in the beginning were the only thing i truly didn't like. Also engine allows for imp explosions to clip thru them.

Great stuff all in all and now i feel that i need to research for more island themed wads to play :D 

 

I know I'm quite late to responding, but thank you! All of this means a lot!

And yeah, funny thing is this wasn't an Island Map at first whatsoever, before I had already built the entire parts leading to the first lab, and it was supposed to end right there, but I didn't know how to make a satisfying ending, so I got stumped for a while. Then, when I was playing racing games with my dad I randomly thought "Hey, you know what would be cool? A cliffside section, like that one part in Half-Life 1.

Then, I started making it, played around with the infinite horizon linedef, and then I thought "hey, what if  looped, what if the player could see the cliff from another part of the map?"

And finally once I did that I thought "wait, what if make the entire map take place on an island!"

It was certainly a rollercoaster of inspiration, and I really liked making it, even if it took me too long (the light gradients you praised are a good example of my perfectionism which means I added a bit too much detail to certain things, oh well).

Share this post


Link to post

Heads up! Just updated the wad to 1.2! It's simply small fixes such as enemy placement and decorative stuff, but I feel it's important enough too warrant an update.

Edited by DoomerSergio

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×