Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomerSergio

Island Descent 1.2.wad

Hello,

I'm new to Doom modding, and I decided to make this map for fun. It took me 7 days to make, lasts around 10 to 15 minutes, and is mildly difficult. Mouselook, jump and crouch are allowed, though not required.

Rather linear run-and-gun, this map takes place entirely on an island, which includes going in caves under it.

After an entire year from release, I updated the wad to fix many of its issues! I hope you enjoy.

Made with Vanilla Doom 2.

Tested with GZDoom.

GZDoom lights are recommended.

Download: https://doomshack.org/uploads/IsleDesc1.2.zip

(idgames download coming soon)

title.png.397c6c3f533a2619f4af26e64441e715.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

4.png.5c0b8316b3f1b90c83c8ea3398c452cb.png

Edited by DoomerSergio

Hi, I've just finished trying out your WAD.
I really enjoyed playing through it.
The theme was interesting with the island design.
The map design / layout was easy to navigate.
The sea texture was not my favorite...
The texture painting you did is beautifully done!
Very simplistic for a first WAD & I LOVE IT! ^-^

OP, if you're talking about something moving at a downward trajectory, it's spelled descent. Just a friendly tip.

1 hour ago, Subatomic said:

OP, if you're talking about something moving at a downward trajectory, it's spelled descent. Just a friendly tip.

Haha fuck.

Thanks for the heads up, fixed it.

Edited by DoomerSergio

2 hours ago, SakuraFalls said:

Hi, I've just finished trying out your WAD.
I really enjoyed playing through it.
The theme was interesting with the island design.
The map design / layout was easy to navigate.
The sea texture was not my favorite...
The texture painting you did is beautifully done!
Very simplistic for a first WAD & I LOVE IT! ^-^

Thank you so much!!!

And yeah, with only a single water texture (or 4 if you count the slightly different versions) in Doom 2 I sadly didn't have many options to work with, oh well.

Also what do you mean by texture painting?

Hey this was pretty neat! Great first map honestly, with a clear display of you trying out many of the editor features. Easy navigation as @SakuraFalls said and lovely to see that when you obtain a key you get spat out pretty close to the door that needs it (Wonderful!).

A bit simplistic in level design but that's something that improves with repetition and experience. Also I super appreciate the distinct lack of monster closet ambushes (OHlawd I hate them) and also the liberal use of "autosaves" :) That's also great practice from a game design perspective given you also have insta-death ledgedrops. Played with GZDoom on HMP cos I'm a filthy casual and didn't encounter any bugs. Looking forward to more content from you :)

1 minute ago, Wo0p said:

Hey this was pretty neat! Great first map honestly, with a clear display of you trying out many of the editor features. Easy navigation as @SakuraFalls said and lovely to see that when you obtain a key you get spat out pretty close to the door that needs it (Wonderful!).

A bit simplistic in level design but that's something that improves with repetition and experience. Also I super appreciate the distinct lack of monster closet ambushes (OHlawd I hate them) and also the liberal use of "autosaves" :) That's also great practice from a game design perspective given you also have insta-death ledgedrops. Played with GZDoom on HMP cos I'm a filthy casual and didn't encounter any bugs. Looking forward to more content from you :)

I'm genuinely flattered by all of this, specially since I don't know if I'll do another wad in the future cus with this one I found making them takes too much time  due to my perfectionism. I'll see if I get the spark in the future.

Either way, thank you!

Also HMP is how I play too lol, I only play on Ultra-Violence if I don't mind having to savescum here and there.

1 minute ago, DoomerSergio said:

I'm genuinely flattered by all of this, specially since I don't know if I'll do another wad in the future cus with this one I found making them takes too much time  due to my perfectionism. I'll see if I get the spark in the future.

Either way, thank you!

Also HMP is how I play too lol, I only play on Ultra-Violence if I don't mind having to savescum here and there.

You're welcome :D

That's fine, if you only make this map I totally understand but you do seem to have a knack for making fun gameplay so I hope the design bug bites you sometime in the future ;)
And about the difficulty I'm completely the same hehe. I like my power fantasies and I'm not the greatest player so..

31 minutes ago, DoomerSergio said:

Either way, thank you!

Hi, I understand that it takes so much time to create WAD.
Especially when perfectionism is trying to take over.
Either way, I hope you return to creating WADS!
You seem to have some unique design ideas! ^-^

Hey! Had a 100% kill playthrough and I must say I enjoyed it a lot! I haven't played any island themed maps yet and it felt like I'm on a long deserved vacation. Some imported palm sprites would just solidify the feel :3 I appreciate all the dynamic lights you've put everywhere.

This sludge room looked very cool. Felt like im in bowels of some island tech lab

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20230602_200217.png.bf511d6b4a76c4cd5514dcf238a48212.png

These light gradient are just.. mm. very good. I need to step up my sector brightness game for sure.

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20230602_200837.png.dfdc14f2eb81159c90b8da9933a60e56.pngScreenshot_Doom_20230602_200900.png.890cd3723d51edbcfe08401254919042.png

There was this old shooter called "Vivisector", set in island/lab theme that I and my dad used to play a lot and this map definitely brought back the nostalgia feels. Mission accomplished i'd say.

Now onto a few criticisms:

• I'm a pleb who found only two secrets and had to shoot the entire map with a regular shotgun. Killing archie and mastermind with it was definitely a feat of strength for me. Wouldn't mind a freebie weapon to tackle last monsters..
  • Some doors have unpegged textures
  • Some thin rocky walkways were just screaming to trap me with monsters from both sides. On the other side, having no survival stress is nice too.
  • Those doublesided midtextures of wooden walls in the beginning were the only thing i truly didn't like. Also engine allows for imp explosions to clip thru them.

Great stuff all in all and now i feel that i need to research for more island themed wads to play :D 

On 6/2/2023 at 1:26 PM, StellarWind said:

Hey! Had a 100% kill playthrough and I must say I enjoyed it a lot! I haven't played any island themed maps yet and it felt like I'm on a long deserved vacation. Some imported palm sprites would just solidify the feel :3 I appreciate all the dynamic lights you've put everywhere.

This sludge room looked very cool. Felt like im in bowels of some island tech lab

Hide contents

Screenshot_Doom_20230602_200217.png.bf511d6b4a76c4cd5514dcf238a48212.png

These light gradient are just.. mm. very good. I need to step up my sector brightness game for sure.

Hide contents

Screenshot_Doom_20230602_200837.png.dfdc14f2eb81159c90b8da9933a60e56.pngScreenshot_Doom_20230602_200900.png.890cd3723d51edbcfe08401254919042.png

There was this old shooter called "Vivisector", set in island/lab theme that I and my dad used to play a lot and this map definitely brought back the nostalgia feels. Mission accomplished i'd say.

Now onto a few criticisms:

• I'm a pleb who found only two secrets and had to shoot the entire map with a regular shotgun. Killing archie and mastermind with it was definitely a feat of strength for me. Wouldn't mind a freebie weapon to tackle last monsters..
  • Some doors have unpegged textures
  • Some thin rocky walkways were just screaming to trap me with monsters from both sides. On the other side, having no survival stress is nice too.
  • Those doublesided midtextures of wooden walls in the beginning were the only thing i truly didn't like. Also engine allows for imp explosions to clip thru them.

Great stuff all in all and now i feel that i need to research for more island themed wads to play :D 

I know I'm quite late to responding, but thank you! All of this means a lot!

And yeah, funny thing is this wasn't an Island Map at first whatsoever, before I had already built the entire parts leading to the first lab, and it was supposed to end right there, but I didn't know how to make a satisfying ending, so I got stumped for a while. Then, when I was playing racing games with my dad I randomly thought "Hey, you know what would be cool? A cliffside section, like that one part in Half-Life 1.

Then, I started making it, played around with the infinite horizon linedef, and then I thought "hey, what if  looped, what if the player could see the cliff from another part of the map?"

And finally once I did that I thought "wait, what if make the entire map take place on an island!"

It was certainly a rollercoaster of inspiration, and I really liked making it, even if it took me too long (the light gradients you praised are a good example of my perfectionism which means I added a bit too much detail to certain things, oh well).

Heads up! Just updated the wad to 1.2! It's simply small fixes such as enemy placement and decorative stuff, but I feel it's important enough too warrant an update.

Edited by DoomerSergio