Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
timmie

Skyboxes

http://members.shaw.ca/timstump/images/zdoomgl_38.jpg

Getting closer :) It doesn't use the stencil buffer right now and I'm going to include a path that doesn't use it, but it'll mess up in maps with multiple skyboxes visible at the same time (like thebox.wad [randy's sample with 2 skyboxes]). If it's just one skybox (like satanx.wad or starbox.wad), it'll be fine. If you have a stencil buffer (controllable with the gl_vid_stencilbits cvar), then you'll get the nicer version which won't mess up. Basically only Voodoo3 users will have to worry about this.

Also, I've abandoned the optimized geometry path for now since I wasn't getting any speed increases (in fact, it was slower). It'll be something I'll keep my eye on, but I'll move on for now.

timmie said:

http://members.shaw.ca/timstump/images/zdoomgl_38.jpg

Getting closer :) It doesn't use the stencil buffer right now and I'm going to include a path that doesn't use it, but it'll mess up in maps with multiple skyboxes visible at the same time (like thebox.wad [randy's sample with 2 skyboxes]). If it's just one skybox (like satanx.wad or starbox.wad), it'll be fine. If you have a stencil buffer (controllable with the gl_vid_stencilbits cvar), then you'll get the nicer version which won't mess up. Basically only Voodoo3 users will have to worry about this.

Also, I've abandoned the optimized geometry path for now since I wasn't getting any speed increases (in fact, it was slower). It'll be something I'll keep my eye on, but I'll move on for now.

That one line got me. "Basically only Voodoo3 users will have to worry about this." WHY MUST WE BE SINGLED OUT DAMMIT?!?!

DooMBoy said:

That one line got me. "Basically only Voodoo3 users will have to worry about this." WHY MUST WE BE SINGLED OUT DAMMIT?!?!

Heh, I used to fall into this category. Hooray for upgrades!

DooMBoy said:

Lack of stencil buffer :( You won't have to worry unless the map has multiple skyboxes visible at the same time, though.

timmie said:

Lack of stencil buffer :( You won't have to worry unless the map has multiple skyboxes visible at the same time, though.

Not quite true. I have a map that uses a regular sky as the default but has one area with a skybox, allocated with a skybox allocator thing. Most of the map doesn't have sky visible, but when you get to the final area, the regular (texture) sky should be what you see, but instead I see the skybox. The two areas of the map with skies are nowhere near each other. In fact they are in distinct areas separated by 2 teleport travels and not visible from each other at all.

My new PC with GF4 arrives today though :-)

Keeping the old one too, so you'll still have me trying stuff on a Voodoo3 as well.

mewse said:

i'm impressed.. where in canada do you live?

I live in Vancouver now, but was raised in the sunny Okanagan :)

edit: heh, of course, that info is in my profile, too...

Enjay said:

Not quite true. I have a map that uses a regular sky as the default but has one area with a skybox, allocated with a skybox allocator thing. Most of the map doesn't have sky visible, but when you get to the final area, the regular (texture) sky should be what you see, but instead I see the skybox. The two areas of the map with skies are nowhere near each other. In fact they are in distinct areas separated by 2 teleport travels and not visible from each other at all.

My new PC with GF4 arrives today though :-)

Keeping the old one too, so you'll still have me trying stuff on a Voodoo3 as well.

Hmm, how big is it? Small enough to send to me?

Heh, thanks for keeping the old machine around for me... The only other Voodoo3 I have access to is at work, so my testing time with ZDoomGL is limited :)

timmie said:

Hmm, how big is it? Small enough to send to me?

Lots of custom textures and every single item from Aspects is in this level as it is the level I use to test things. I'll try and make a smaller map, see if it shows the effect and then send it to you.

Heh, thanks for keeping the old machine around for me... The only other Voodoo3 I have access to is at work, so my testing time with ZDoomGL is limited :)

That's kind of the reason I've not bothered upgrading the card on the old machine (well, that and laziness). I will do sooner or later though. I'm planning on a little network fun here seeing as how online multiplayer isn't an option for me. The "old" machine isn't really a slouch at 1GHz so it will do for a while as a second machine for things like UT.

Not sure how many people are still persevering with 3DFX cards these days. It's been a while since they stopped trading hasn't it?

Edit:

OK, it was easy enough to replicate in a simple map. I've sent it to you.