Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jack9955

A lot of Jack

ZDoom version 2.1.7 is also definitely far too old to support it

So, that explains why I have no problems with LE.

I am making a window with ammo behind it to give the player a military base feel, the lower texture of the back side does not have any textures, is it even necessary to add a texture? the player can not reach there.

image.png.d34034a261feacc5d5aaa1cc2033082f.png

If you put items visible in a location, the player usually expects to be able to get there. They'll think there is some secret way to get in, and they'll spend a bunch of time searching for a secret which doesn't exist.

Secondly, yes, put a texture on the back side. It's good practice to do so. You don't want to get into sloppy habits as a mapper.

I am getting tired of this, I am trying to make a secret passageway to a rocket launcher but UDB automatically fills a sector in the middle, removes the "Impassable" box and also removes the textures of the linedefs.

image.png.a3a0c9d9887b4cfd63407bc579d56280.png

image.png.45f1df08bb11a31b7b5b94b77f571c68.png

Do you have the "Auto-finish drawing" option selected in the Menu Bar? Un-select that, and manually draw the portions of the sector. That usually keeps the editor from guessing incorrectly about what portions of the void you want to be sectors.

I found it, but it still creates a sector.

Edit: I tried it on different editors, they all did the same thing.

Edited by Jack9955

It's the opposite, I want a void between these parts, but UDB automatically creates a sector there.

You need to draw the complete sector, otherwise the editor will auto complete the lines the only way that makes sense to the sector structures.

7 hours ago, SOF2Fragger said:

Can you delete the sector?

Yes, but if I delete the sector, the textures of the linedefs bordering it are removed.

Apply them again. I've done this many times. Sometimes, sectors become void, and others, the void becomes a sector.

I just fix it and keep going. 

I would delete the sector, reapply the textures, and save.

So we have an inner void region like this. 

image.png

First draw your area standalone in that void. 

image.png

As long as you draw complete shapes you can also add design motifs. It's also possible to draw this in some other spot and then move it. 

Then connect it. A very crude connection is okay. 

image.png

Then tweak the shapes to your liking by inserting vertices on the linedefs and moving them around.

image.png

Now that transitions make sense. (The highlighted lines there might be something like a metal pillar.) 

Here's with a rocky chamber. 

image.png

image.png

In other words: draw the area you want first, then link to it. 

I know the limit of visplanes is 128, some parts of my WAD reach 90, should I worry about it? I want it to be vanilla compatible.

image.png.fe79246200fd94043f695384387a8e90.png

I have another question: Should I avoid making straight sectors and make more curves so less flats can be visible?

You should use the search bar for questions, you've posted a lot of forum threads as of late.

image.png.def337ad738a3fae9113dc8c11b513fb.png

22 minutes ago, esselfortium said:

You can use CRL to do a more in-depth test of any areas that seem potentially dangerous.

I used it, the max of visplanes is 86.

Edit: I compared that number to E1M1's max, I really have to optimize my map

12 minutes ago, Jack9955 said:

If you're not nearing or exceeding the limit of 128, you shouldn't need to worry about it.

33 minutes ago, Jack9955 said:

nah, you can have maps with max 127 visplanes and vanilla will not crash. optimize only when is necessary.

also remind that E1M1 has been built with DoomEd for i486 machines, now we have better tools to make maps, so dont take E1M1 as a reference for engine limits.

54 minutes ago, Jack9955 said:

I used it, the max of visplanes is 86.

To save on visplanes, you can join sectors with the same flats and heights.

38 minutes ago, Ludi said:

doomwiki says that doom joins visplanes with the same flat, height and lighting. so if you make a grid of lots of sectors with the same textures height and lighting, for doom its still 2 visplanes.

52 minutes ago, Ludi said:

Visplanes aren't sectors. Merging or splitting them makes no difference.

Remember that with Ultimate Doom Builder or GZDoom Builder you can view the nodes for sub-sectors and seg-splits. This way you may have an idea if your map is going to have lots of visplanes or not.

Jack9955, please use search and the DoomWiki before asking a question. Asking questions is good but you had roughly a third of all Editing Questions threads in the past three pages of threads, which is really overdoing it and happens because you're asking many questions that can be trivially answered by looking up the DoomWiki page. Many people have complained. The Misc Editing questions thread was also made for high-frequency one-offs. 

So I merged them into this monstrosity. Let's try again this time using search and DoomWiki first and only then asking the question.