Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wuunds

Did Marathon use similar BSP tech to DOOM?

Just wondering if someone knows about how Marathon levels work in comparison to DOOM levels on a technical level and if they share similar tech.

No. Marathon requires strictly convex sectors, with sector connections acting as portals to eachother for the renderer. It has no kind of node graph.

7 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Marathon requires strictly convex sectors, with sector connections acting as portals to eachother for the renderer

Yeah, I once considered adding support to Oblige for the Marathon games, but there was a rather low limit on the number of sectors visible at one time, and the engine bombs out when that limit is exceeded (comparible to the visplane situation with vanilla Doom).  As I recall, even the AlephOne source port did not raise or remove the limit either (though that may have changed in the meantime).

52 minutes ago, andrewj said:

Yeah, I once considered adding support to Oblige for the Marathon games, but there was a rather low limit on the number of sectors visible at one time, and the engine bombs out when that limit is exceeded (comparible to the visplane situation with vanilla Doom).  As I recall, even the AlephOne source port did not raise or remove the limit either (though that may have changed in the meantime).

I remember hearing that they removed the limit on active monsters, then reimplemented it at some point for some stupid reason or other, breaking numerous mods.

But then, what do you expect from a port that's just that religiously opposed to in-game menus?