Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
netnomad312

Taking screenshots in Doom95...

Yeah, I have Doom95, please don't flame me. Lol...

I can't seem to get Doom95 to display in a window. It says it can, but even if I specify window it starts in full screen. Pressing alt-enter gives me a message (doom style; on top of the screen): unsupported mode. Can anyone help? Because I'd like to take some screenshots of my wad, but when I take them in full-screen mode the colors come out all fruity. With some screenshots I might be able to make a decent webpage for my wad...

This doesn't directly answer your question, but if you want better-looking screenshots that those in DooM95, open your map in one of the source ports. In ZDooM you can either use the "Print Scrn" key, or bind screenshots to a key using the console. In LegacyGL or JDooM you can bind screenshots to a key using the console.

The advantage of using source ports is that you can get better resolution in your pictures, and for those ports that support it, the eye candy that OpenGL offers.

I don't see why using doom95 is a problem. If someone is harassing you because of the engine you use call the DOOM Player Rights Association, they will help you learn to tell them to fuck off.

Fruity? Like yellowish and reddish? What app are you using to view them? Are you using the -devparm parameter and pressing F1 to get the screen shots?

netnomad312 said:

I can't seem to get Doom95 to display in a window. It says it can, but even if I specify window it starts in full screen. Pressing alt-enter gives me a message (doom style; on top of the screen): unsupported mode. Can anyone help?

Using your control panel, check your display color depth setting. Chances are it's set at greater than 256 colors. DooM95 does not support video modes w/color modes greater than 256 colors, and therefore will not run windowed.

Go into windows explorer and create a shortcut to the Doom95.exe. like this:

Select the doom95. exe, single click, then Right click, and select create shortcut:

Right click on the shortcut you just created and go to properties.
Add the devparm parameter to the shortcut like this:

(Target) D:\Doom\Doom95.exe -devparm

Your folders may differ from mine. This will bring up your doom 95 launcher with devparm already working. When you use this shortcut to start the game you can press f1 anytime in the game for a screen shot.

While you are working on the shortcut properties it is a good time to set up hot keys to the shortcut, say, Ctrl + Alt + D or whatever you choose to use.

This is also a good time to be sure and tell the shortcut to run the game in a normal window.

These "properties" changes are done ONLY to the newly created shortcut NOT the exe.

wow thanks Searcher, I didn't know that yet!

Can you tell me why there are numbers in the top the screen?
like:
26.6 FPS
23.0 FPS
etc...

I should have seen the 256-color thing coming. I use True Color by default, but I can change it to take screenshots. Thanks!!

netnomad312 said:

I should have seen the 256-color thing coming. I use True Color by default, but I can change it to take screenshots. Thanks!!

FPS does in fact equal Frames per second.

I use true color and my screens turn out just fine.

Not on my computer... and 256 didn't work either. I also tried running with the -devparm thing, but nothing happened when I pressed F1 (and pasting in Paint just put the weird-colored screenshot in there)

Searcher said:

I use true color and my screens turn out just fine.

You're probably not running DooM95 in a window when using true color.

netnomad312 said:

... and 256 didn't work either. I also tried running with the -devparm thing, but nothing happened when I pressed F1 (and pasting in Paint just put the weird-colored screenshot in there)

Not quite sure why you're having problems. I'll fire up my copy of DooM95 and give it a shot when I have a moment.

If all else fails, and you're comfortable with a source port, use one.

I'm afraid not. They've always just conflicted with Doom95.

Someone once told me that the Doom95 CD comes with the original Doom2.exe. Is that true? I don't have it with me to check...

In case of the Doom collectors edition: No!

I really think they should have included them. It would after all not be any economic burden to do so.

netnomad312:
I also tried running with the -devparm thing, but nothing happened when I pressed F1 (and pasting in Paint just put the weird-colored screenshot in there)

Strange... it works for me. When I press F1 it reads 'screen shot' in the top of the screen and a 'doom00.pcx'is created in my doom-directory...

Someone once told me that the Doom95 CD comes with the original Doom2.exe. Is that true? I don't have it with me to check...

My Doom95 CD does contain the doom2.exe. Explore the CD and look for E:\doom2\install.bat That will install the original doom2.

hope it works for you aswell...

netnomad312 said:

I'm afraid not. They've always just conflicted with Doom95.

Actually, source ports such as ZDooM, Legacy, and jDooM do not need any of the DooM/95/2 executable files. All they need is the .wad file. As the .wad file is the same in DooM and in DooM95 you should have absolutely no conflicts using a source port.

netnomad312 said:

I have the Depths of DooM Trilogy, containing an Ultimate DooM (DooM95) CD, a DooM2 CD, and a Master Levels CD. I checked the Ultimate DooM CD, and, as expected, it did not contain any files for DooM2. Despite what m0l0t0v says, it seems unlikely that id Software would package DooM2 as a freebie with DooM95. Especially not when they continue to make money selling them separately.

ReX said:

Despite what m0l0t0v says, it seems unlikely that id Software would package DooM2 as a freebie with DooM95.

I thought the issue here was whether the CDs that contain Doom95 versions (UD, D2, FD) also contain the relevant DOS files (perhaps hidden away in some non-obvious subdirectory). I believe most of them do, though according to Little Faith's post, they are absent entirely from the "Collectors Edition".

It is certainly true for the CDs I've got (UD, FD and the Doom CD in the id Anthology).

My CDs that came with the Doom Trilogy do in fact have the orginal DOS games on there too.

netnomad312 said:

Not on my computer... and 256 didn't work either. I also tried running with the -devparm thing, but nothing happened when I pressed F1 (and pasting in Paint just put the weird-colored screenshot in there)

Try making a batch file with doom95 -devparm, or use a shortcut like Searcher explained. It works. Note also that the screen shot will be in PCX format, which cannot be read by MS Paint. You'll have to use something else to view it, such as that Kodak picture viewer that comes with Windows 98, or a third party viewer (Paint Shop, etc.)

the unbeliever:
I have the Depths of DooM Trilogy, containing an Ultimate DooM (DooM95) CD, a DooM2 CD, and a Master Levels CD. I checked the Ultimate DooM CD, and, as expected, it did not contain any files for DooM2. Despite what m0l0t0v says, it seems unlikely that id Software would package DooM2 as a freebie with DooM95.

I have the same trilogy.
You should look for the original doom2 on the doom2 CD instead of the ult doom CD :/
They're in the directory 'doom2' but need to be installed first so you may not recognise them at first.

The doom2 CD does contain the original doom2, which can be installed with the install.bat
The ult doom CD does contain the original ultimate doom, which can also be installed with the install.bat on that CD...

m0l0t0v said:

Strange... it works for me. When I press F1 it reads 'screen shot' in the top of the screen and a 'doom00.pcx'is created in my doom-directory...

My Doom95 CD does contain the doom2.exe. Explore the CD and look for E:\doom2\install.bat That will install the original doom2.

hope it works for you aswell...

Oh!! I didn't know it created a pcx. Okay. That would explain a lot. Thanks!

m0l0t0v said:

You should look for the original doom2 on the doom2 CD instead of the ult doom CD :/

You are quite correct. The DooM2 CD would contain the original version of DooM2. However, I was responding to what you said:

My Doom95 CD does contain the doom2.exe.

and I said:

I checked the Ultimate DooM CD, and, as expected, it did not contain any files for DooM2.....it seems unlikely that id Software would package DooM2 as a freebie with DooM95

DooM95 was first released well before the release of the Trilogy. I figured you were talking about the original release. Even otherwise, the DooM95 CD (aka the Ultimate DooM CD) does not contain the DooM2 files.

I guess there was some confusion here about terminology, and I certainly didn't mean to be argumentative.

both ult doom for windows and doom2 for windows go by the name of DOOM95... It was going to cause confusion sooner or later...

I guess there was some confusion here about terminology, and I certainly didn't mean to be argumentative.

same here!

:-)