Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Samurai77

I really need help coding a DECORATE file

I just recently followed a tutorial on how to add custom sprites to doom as well as coding them. In the part where he teaches how to code a DECORATE, I've pretty much typed in the same line of code 1 to 1 as the tutorial (a part from naming the weapon obviously.) it runs for him just fine but when I run my wad it just gets script errors. I'm honestly at my wits end and there is no other video out there that can help me because their methods don't work anymore.

This is the error I keep getting by the way. I could really use some guidance here. 

Screenshot (101).png

Edited by Samurai77

Here you go. 

ACTOR MummyPharaoh: DoomPlayer {
    Player.WeaponSlot 1, Fist, AncientScarab
    Player.WeaponSlot 2, Pistol
    Player.WeaponSlot 3, Shotgun, SuperShotgun
    Player.WeaponSlot 4, Chaingun
    Player.WeaponSlot 5, RocketLauncher
    Player.WeaponSlot 6, PlasmaRifle
    Player.WeaponSlot 7, BFG9000
}

ACTOR AncientScarab: Weapon Replaces Chainsaw 20000 {
    Weapon.SelectionOrder 50
    Weapon.AmmoUse 5
    Weapon.AmmoGive 100
    Weapon.AmmoType "Clip"
    Inventory.PickupSound "weapon/getweapon"
    Inventory.PickupMessage "Layla picked up an Ancient Scarab!"
    States {
        Spawn:
        SCAR A -1
        Stop

Select:
        BETL A 1 A_Raise
        Loop

Deselect:
        BETL A 1 A_Lower
        Loop

Ready:
        BETL A 1 A_WeaponReady
        Loop

Fire:
        BETL BCD 4
        Goto Poopiefire

PoopieFire:
        BETL E 0 A_PlaySound ("weapon/attack",CHAN_WEAPON, 0.7
        BETL E 0 A_Recoil(4)
        BETL E 5 A_FireCustomMissle("PoopieMissle",0,2,-8)
        BETL D 5
        BETL D 0 A_Refire("PoopieFire")
        Goto Ready
    }
}

Your code is missing closing ')' at 

BETL E 0 A_PlaySound ("weapon/attack",CHAN_WEAPON, 0.7

Ok XD Thank you for pointing that. However another script error popped up after i fixed it. 

Script error, "ankh.wad:DECORATE" line 42:
Invalid parameter 'a_firecustommissle'  

okay so new problem I fixed the other error now i have this error 

Expected ')', got ','.

Updated code. 

ACTOR MummyPharaoh: DoomPlayer {
    Player.WeaponSlot 1, Fist, AncientScarab
    Player.WeaponSlot 2, Pistol
    Player.WeaponSlot 3, Shotgun, SuperShotgun
    Player.WeaponSlot 4, Chaingun
    Player.WeaponSlot 5, RocketLauncher
    Player.WeaponSlot 6, PlasmaRifle
    Player.WeaponSlot 7, BFG9000
}

ACTOR AncientScarab: Weapon Replaces Chainsaw 20000 {
    Weapon.SelectionOrder 50
    Weapon.AmmoUse 5
    Weapon.AmmoGive 100
    Weapon.AmmoType "Clip"
    Inventory.PickupSound "weapon/getweapon"
    Inventory.PickupMessage "Layla picked up an Ancient Scarab!"
    States {
        Spawn:
        SCAR A -1
        Stop

Select:
        BETL A 1 A_Raise
        Loop

Deselect:
        BETL A 1 A_Lower
        Loop

Ready:
        BETL A 1 A_WeaponReady
        Loop

Fire:
        BETL BCD 4
        Goto Poopiefire

PoopieFire:
        BETL E 0 A_PlaySound ("weapon/attack",CHAN_WEAPON, 0.7)
        BETL E 0 A_Recoil(4)
        BETL E 5 A_Fire ("PoopieMissle",0,2,0,-8)
        BETL D 5
        BETL D 0 A_Refire("PoopieFire")
        Goto Ready
    }
}

ACTOR PoopieMissile : Actor 20001 {
    +RANDOMIZE

Decal "Scorch"
    Projectile

Radius 6
    Height 8
    Speed 20
    Damage 15

DeathSound "weapon/plasmax"

States {
        Spawn:
        BAL1 AB 4 Bright
        Loop

Death:
        BAL1 CDE 4 Bright
        Stop
    }
}

56 minutes ago, Samurai77 said:

Invalid parameter 'a_firecustommissle' 

In this error you seem to have misspelled 'A_FireCustomMissile'.  That should fix your problem.

25 minutes ago, Samurai77 said:

PoopieFire:

BETL E 0 A_PlaySound ("weapon/attack",CHAN_WEAPON, 0.7)
        BETL E 0 A_Recoil(4)
        BETL E 5 A_Fire ("PoopieMissle",0,2,0,-8)

Here it looks like you're using A_Fire instead of A_FireCustomMissile - it has different parameters (the part in brackets) and eventually runs into a comma where it thinks it should be time to close the brackets.  Look up A_Fire and A_FireCustomMissile on www.zdoomwiki.com:
https://zdoom.org/wiki/Action_functions

So far looks like your mostly running into formatting errors.  Anytime you get the line the error is occurring on, it can help to just copy and paste from the wiki, or whatever source you're getting your script from.

Ok so I got the code fixed but now I have ANOTHER problem when I run the wad and pick up my custom weapon in game and I fire it no projectiles appear or damage the enemies. All the other effects like recoil and sounds are working. But again no projectiles...

Edited by Samurai77

This may have something to do with it. If it does not sure how to fix it.

Script warning, "ankh.wad:DECORATE" Line 43:

Unknown class name 'PoopieMissle' of type 'Actor'

I swear it feels like this program is just doing everything to prevent me from making mods XD

Again, you're spelling it "Missile" in one place and "Missle" in another. Maybe pick an easier name for your projectile? Like just "Scarab" perhaps

You're looking at it as if you fixed one mistake and that created another one. But the more accurate explanation is you had many mistakes there to begin with, and fixing the first one allows the parser to get to the point where the second one is noticed, and fixing the second one then allows... Just be patient and fix them all.

Also, learning what the error message is telling you exactly is an important skill. Don't try to blow past that. When you get an error message, take note of what the fix was so that you'll have something to go on next time it happens. The message is telling you something precise, not "There was a fucky wucky. Fix it." So try to learn what certain phrases are saying instead of treating it like the error is the program getting in the way. 

I get around 3-7 error messages pretty frequently. The difference between making something quickly and it taking a while is often being patient with and putting a lot of thought into the error messages, instead of treating them as something to quickly rush past so that you can do what you wanted to.

You make good points. I wish I wasn't so dumb with this stuff XD. Patience isn't really my strong suit lol. I appreciate the help, Everyone. 

Nah, you're not dumb, that's just how it is starting out. It's more about habits and familiarity. Here are a few tips that I use to help me with these issues:

I Copy and Paste as much as possible

I have the Doom Wiki (www.zdoomwiki.org) open at all times

If I've made something once, I just reuse the code and edit instead of re-writing from scratch every time

I test run often, so I have a better idea of what was changed or added that could be throwing an error

If I can't seem to find/fix errors, I work on something else for a bit and come back to it later or the next day.

Once you've got your first modded weapon or monster working properly, everything gets easier, trust me - I hope your weapon is coming along!

The first weapon works great! Though I cant seem to figure which line of text controls the rate of fire for weapons. Also cant seem to find a tutorial on how to make hit scan weapons. Dont get me wrong i love projectiles but hits scan weapons like the chain gun are fun too XD

Rate of fire of any weapon is controlled by how many frames you set in your Fire method per sprite. For example, if I have a line that says SHTG 2 A 8, it would stay on the sprite SHTG2A0 for the next 8 frames. The lower the number, the faster the frames.

As for custom hitscan attacks, you may want to look at this ZDoom Wiki article on A_FireBullets.

Thanks! One last question. I noticed that there is a number next to this line of code.

ACTOR AncientScarab: Weapon Replaces Chainsaw 20000 { 

Can anyone explain to me what this number exactly is? I only typed it in here cause that's how the guy typed it in his video tutorial. Do I need it to put in a number for each weapon I replace? 

The Replace and the entry number are for maps.  The entry number is necessary to call up the actor in a map editor and put it in levels, whereas the "Replaces" will replace all the instances of the replaced actor with the one you made. 'Replaces' is good for testing because its an easy way to load your stuff into already built levels.

The 'PoopieMissile' in your code will work fine without either, as just:

ACTOR Poopiemissile {

Projectiles don't get placed in a level like weapons ammo or monsters, so they don't need either 'Replaces' or an entry# to work properly.