Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WorldMachine

(SOLVED) Chocolate DOOM gives me cache lump error when opening random doors in base, unmodified game

26 minutes ago, WorldMachine said:

I guess the only conclusion I can come up with rn is that my Chocolate DOOM is out of date???

Which version are you using?

38 minutes ago, WorldMachine said:

I guess the only conclusion I can come up with rn is that my Chocolate DOOM is out of date???

Check the Chocolate Doom version by looking at the source port's folder name or check the Choco Doom exe file's details in its program properties (if you're using Windows). My version is 3.0.1 from 2020.

Also, do you want to share the pwad here so that we can digest the problem? If you don't want to spoil things in your project then don't do it.

My advice to you is to be more investigative when you encounter problems like this, and also don't forget to edit your posts in most times where you want to give updates to the information that you give; Doomworld is a message board, not a text messenger.

Edited by Al-Faris M

Well that definitely rules out a corrupted WAD or some sort of hacked IWAD.

At this point I'd say either something is corrupted with the Chocolate Doom install, or your RAM is going bad, but if it were the latter all sorts of other things would glitch up.

So yes, at this point, install the latest Chocolate Doom, in a clean folder, and see if the problem goes away.

And as others have said in here, NEVER modify the IWAD. If you want to add or alter things, always always always do it in a PWAD. (Though admittedly there are some oldschool mods that DO modify the IWAD - to replace sprites in the original game, you used to have to modify the IWAD with DeuSF for example - but Chocolate Doom should be able to handle these cases without merging the alterations into the IWAD.)

Holy shit it didn't crash!!! But, were not out of this yet, there are some weird audio bugs were all the sound effects cut off mid-way through, the music and sound effects volume turn up to absurd earrape volumes in random intervals and changing the volume levels just don't work, and the sound blaster midi options in the setup does not work at all, just plays no music, how can I fix all this?

Edited by WorldMachine

No crashing no nothing, everything works as it is supposed to. Welp, I guess that's it (hopefully). Sorry i was such a nuisance (and I apologize for coming out as a dirty pirate, but can you blame me? An entire game, in one single file, of course the internet did what the internet does). Thanks to everyone who help me solve this. Hopefully this does not happen again... I'm crossing my fingers.

1 hour ago, WorldMachine said:

No crashing no nothing, everything works as it is supposed to. Welp, I guess that's it (hopefully). Sorry i was such a nuisance (and I apologize for coming out as a dirty pirate, but can you blame me? An entire game, in one single file, of course the internet did what the internet does). Thanks to everyone who help me solve this. Hopefully this does not happen again... I'm crossing my fingers.

If you'd like to thank us, picking up the game legally at some point is a nice way to do so.

Just now, Dark Pulse said:

If you'd like to thank us, picking up the game legally at some point is a nice way to do so.

how does this help the doom community? honest question

1 hour ago, segfault said:

You support John Romero when you buy the game

Idk, having I don't think that many people really care about pirating early to mid-90's games anymore, good example would be Blizzard with Diablo 1. Nothing but just a few "quirky mentions" here and there, I don't think they really give 2 shits about D1 anymore (please do a remake or remaster blizzard, I beg!!! >~<)

19 minutes ago, WorldMachine said:

"To buy the game, you must praise me, John Romero"

More like "To own the game, you must buy from me, John Romero."

So it was upgrade to the latest version which we all suggested late because well, we assumed you were on latest.

Thus concludes this trail.

9 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

So it was upgrade to the latest version which we all suggested late because well, we assumed you were on latest.

Thus concludes this trail.

Well... just last night I actually figured out that my save files were fucked somehow and thus prevented the game from progressing beyond that forsaken door, idk how the saves got corrupted but I ended up deleting them and Chocolate works as intended.

12 hours ago, segfault said:

It's called "being fair and paying for something." It's five bucks, for God's sake. Your cup of coffee at Starbucks probably costs more.

Unless you are absolutely flat-out dead-broke, or are under the age of sixteen, or for some reason spend every single dollar you earn on bills, you've got five bucks.

Y'know the easy way is just to get Xbox game pass on pc, (which sometimes goes for a dollar for one month) downloading those unity ports, and getting all the iwads and official wads there.

I know, scandalous, but it's technically legal (even if all you paid is 1$).

Game Pass is sometimes broken...

43 minutes ago, WorldMachine said:

Well... just last night I actually figured out that my save files were fucked somehow

Yep, that's nothing from what we could ever discern based on what you presented. Glad it got solved.

38 minutes ago, WorldMachine said:

Y'know the easy way is just to get Xbox game pass on pc, (which sometimes goes for a dollar for one month) downloading those unity ports, and getting all the iwads and official wads there.

I know, scandalous, but it's technically legal (even if all you paid is 1$).

Game Pass is sometimes broken...

Its legal so its solid.

All I need to do Is go to a fancy water fountain in the middle of a mall and sneakily steal 4 quarters, I mean it's not like the mall fountain is gonna grant your wish anyway, right? >:3 (I am joking)

5 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

It's called "being fair and paying for something." It's five bucks, for God's sake. Your cup of coffee at Starbucks probably costs more.

Unless you are absolutely flat-out dead-broke, or are under the age of sixteen, or for some reason spend every single dollar you earn on bills, you've got five bucks.

nobody who actually made the game would see a cent of those five dollars though, it just goes to the current rights holders (i.e. Bethesda)

nobody who actually made the game would see a cent of those five dollars though, it just goes to the current rights holders (i.e. Bethesda)

And that justifies piracy how, exactly?

Or are you naive enough to believe that the games you buy on GoG all go to the original makers as well? Especially the ones that don't even exist as companies anymore?

It's one thing, perhaps, when there is no more legal ways to obtain the game (i.e; abandonware). It's another when you can go to a digital storefront and buy it straight-up.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a hypocrite here. I pirated a bunch of crap back in the day as a broke-ass teenager; at that point, piracy was out of necessity more than desire. But those were usually new games that were $50-60. They certainly weren't 30 year-old games where going and buying a meal from McDonalds costs more money.

36 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a hypocrite here. I pirated a bunch of crap back in the day as a broke-ass teenager; at that point, piracy was out of necessity more than desire. But those were usually new games that were $50-60. They certainly weren't 30 year-old games where going and buying a meal from McDonalds costs more money.

So because you personally rose above the circumstances that "necessitated" piracy, nobody else can justify it? At the end of the day, nobody really cares, tons of people do it (just like emulation), and everyone with a lick of common sense just keeps that fact to themselves instead of advertising it.

7 hours ago, dasho said:

So because you personally rose above the circumstances that "necessitated" piracy, nobody else can justify it? At the end of the day, nobody really cares, tons of people do it (just like emulation), and everyone with a lick of common sense just keeps that fact to themselves instead of advertising it.

He can do it all he wants to for all I personally care, but yes, the nice thing to do if you can afford it is to buy the thing if it gives you a little bit of fun, and nothing is going to change that, nor the fact that this forum looks down on people who have pirated the game and openly said so.