Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ret Neychozken

Is 320 × 180 16:9 ? If so, why there are black bars in GZDoom?

I'm not sure of where to ask this since i almost never use Doomworld and when i do i just check random stuff and then leave, but anyways...

While i was testing my mod, which works in GZDoom, i was experimenting with low resolutions, and i see that when i set the resolution to 320×180, which is supposed to be a resolution with an aspect ratio of 16:9, there are black bars at the side of the screen. However, if it set it to 640×360, which is also 16:9, the bars are gone.

And i'm wondering, why does this happen? The only thing i can think about is that it's related to how Doom's 320×200 resolution is actually 16:10 and not 4:3, and it somehow affects the resolution that i set.

I remember it also behaved differently while the game was paused (as in you are in the main menu), but i'm not on my laptop right now so i can't check.

Can somebody help me with this silly question?

7 hours ago, Professor Hastig said:

GZDoom does not really support anything below 640x400. There's a few hacks in place to make 320x200 work, but other low resolutions may not fare so well.

Oh i see.

15 hours ago, Ret Neychozken said:

I'm not sure of where to ask this since i almost never use Doomworld and when i do i just check random stuff and then leave, but anyways...

While i was testing my mod, which works in GZDoom, i was experimenting with low resolutions, and i see that when i set the resolution to 320×180, which is supposed to be a resolution with an aspect ratio of 16:9, there are black bars at the side of the screen. However, if it set it to 640×360, which is also 16:9, the bars are gone.

And i'm wondering, why does this happen? The only thing i can think about is that it's related to how Doom's 320×200 resolution is actually 16:10 and not 4:3, and it somehow affects the resolution that i set.

I remember it also behaved differently while the game was paused (as in you are in the main menu), but i'm not on my laptop right now so i can't check.

Can somebody help me with this silly question?

Well, I divided 1920 by 1080 and it's roughly 1.77778 the same result is when 320 divided by 180, so yes, it's 16:9.