Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
netnomad312

Recording Demos in Doom95

I'd like to record some demos for my wad. I'm using Doom II for Windows 95, which has a special window for demo-making. I gave the demo a name and then used Wintex and looked at someone else's demo size. I learned that 13-odd KB gets you 98 seconds. But to be safe I set the max file size to 25 KB.

The problem: when I start Doom, it immediately quits and says it recorded my demo. I couldn't do anything! What is wrong?

Set file size higher, 1024 and also make sure Q isn't one of your movement keys, pressing Q quits demo recording.

I got a message box which said the max was 999. I tried that and it still quit instantly - with the message box "demo towerm10.lmp recorded."

I've never used Doom95 myself, but you could try running it from the command line rather than with the launcher. That would be something like:

c:\doom2\doom95.exe -file c:\doom2\mywad.wad -record c:\doom2\mydemoXX.lmp

I don't know whether you need to specify an iwad in Doom95 or if it just assumes which one it is. The standard default max size for a demo is 128kB, which should be OK for about 20-30 minutes.

If you have no luck with this, you could record a demo with PrBoom in v1.9 format, which should play back OK with Doom95 (I think). I assume your intention is to make a demo that can be added to the wad file, and this would be suitable for that purpose.

netnomad312 said:

How about that: Doom95 can still use all the old parameters.

AFAIK, the "good old" command line is supported by all the ports, though the options and available switches vary a bit.

I had this problem once. It was really annoying, but I was finally able to fix it. I think I used the parameters following the .exe filename (in the little properties window) instead of the 95 launcher, and then used the launcher to play the game. I forget the parameters, but if you do a Google search for "doom parameters" you could probably find it.