Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stalkernaut

my first (terrible) wad

its just one level, my first one so it is terrible. i did mess around with some of the other features, idk what it works on but its a udmf, and i used doom builder. i tested it with gzdoom so yea, also it runs on doom II. also if your port does not support eternity engine then u cant play, im using the static portals from it.

myfirstwad.rar

screenshotofmywad1.PNG

screenshotofmywad2.PNG

screenshotofmywad3.PNG

Edited by Stalkernaut

A very basic STARTAN level. I can't get the level running, either because nodes aren't built, or because this level requires the Eternity Engine, which Crispy Doom doesn't support of course. However, glancing over at the screenshots and looking around the editor, It has a rooms filled with monsters, connected by different doors. I can imagine, that the Cyberdemon fight can be fun, but other than that, it's just really basic and generic combat. Also, I don't see the point in making an Eternity Engine map, because those effects don't add anything to your map. You could tweak this level, replacing the Eternity Engine's line actions with the Vanilla Doom .EXE line actions and it would be practically the same, without everyone having to use the Eternity Engine to play this basic level.

Overall, a decent map for a beginner mapper, it was certainly better and more challenging than my level...

I played through this with commentary. Overall fine first attempt, but obviously there is a lot of room for improvement. You did really get me with that one surprise!

17 minutes ago, Pistoolkip said:

I played through this with commentary. Overall fine first attempt, but obviously there is a lot of room for improvement. You did really get me with that one surprise!

thanks for playtesting it! ima be honest i only found out how to change the levels when i was finishing up the bossfight part, so i was like "Oh cool" then forgot about the rest of the level, i also messed up the red skull texture i realized, when i make my next map im gonna take this stuff into account, and im also probably gonna add alot more surprises to confuse people lol

Several blocky rooms with all the doors lacking lower-unpegged on them. Also were several rooms Copy and pasted 'cause it certainly feels that way...

Still for a first wad, Terrible is a liiiiitle harsh. It's not great but I've played FAR worse! Weirdly, just a quick clean-up, some more texture variety and some extra height variation and you could have an okay map!

Also the infinite portal trick was admittedly a bit funny though you can easily back out of it thankfully.

Certainly not the worst 'my first WAD' ever. 

The bad

• Yeah... the doortrak/not lower unpegged thing. Make sure they are all properly pegged, and stick with the doortrak texture.
  • Uniform lighting. It will look better if more variation in lighting is used
  • Uniform heights. Play aroud with floor and ceiing heights, to add variation and more interesting visuals
  • Limited use of monsters. It was definitely shotgun guy heavy...
  • The custom pistol at the start was kind of redundant?

The good

• Nice ramping up of difficulty
  • progress/key sequence was well indicated
  • actually quite a nice old-school layout, I like it (I know it is all square, but hey, my early experience with Doom pwads was - um - a while ago...)
  • I like the cyberdemon trap. The below isn't my first playthough, and I ran down the portaled corridor for a while until I realised it was looping back on itself...
  • texture and flat usage was certainly not jarring or bad in any way (aside from the door tracks...). I found it was perfectly OK and not distracting from the play. 
  • Plenty of resources, even on UV
  • Secrets nicely placed and indicated well (I missed them completely on my first playthrough)

Playthrough

• Played GZDoom (default settings)
  • UV
  • Freelook
  • no jump
  • no crouch

Yeah, I liked it.

People who like super-hard will probably not be so keen, but for the casual player, I think it is a good. It is simplistic, but that is not a problem for a first map - as you make more maps, they will get more complex. There is plenty of stuff to collect, and it offers a nice ramp-up of difficulty (relatively speaking). It is definitely harder if you miss the plasma gun secret. I did this on my first playthrough and got my arse kicked. So it is definitely more of a challenge if you choose (or miss) to not use the plasma gun.