Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cyber-menace

Zdoom project editing (slopes, lights, etc.)

Man sometimes editing is tougher than I thought. I have made a Dehcaked Path (.deh) and I tested it in Zdoom with the -deh extension and it worked. When I tried adding it to a PWAD (mini-cyb.wad) it didn't work when I added the file with -file mini-cyb.wad! I'm wondering if there is any way to add a .deh file that WILL work in a PWAD or even an IWAD? If I come out with say a new style of DOOM 2, I don't want people having to start Zdoom with the -deh mini-cyb.deh command line. It's too confusing for some people. I know this because one or two of my friends needed a lot of help getting Zdoom to work with a new Iwad and to join a server. Anyways it would be a big help to me if someone could give me some specific instructions on how to do this. Thank You all for your help!

What did you call the deh patch when you put it inside the WAD? If you insert it as a lump called DEHACKED it will be read automatically by Zdoom, and any other ports that support this feature (most of them).

I use DeePsea to do this, and the quickest way is to call your file dehacked.bex

hit F7
pick merge import
open your wad as a target
open your dehacked.bex file as a lump
click save

all done.

Naming the file dehacked.bex means DeePsea will use that name to generate the lump name. If you don't do it that way, you can give the lump a suitable name when you import it, it just involves one extra step.

cyber-menace said:

If I come out with say a new style of DOOM 2, I don't want people having to start Zdoom with the -deh mini-cyb.deh command line.

If you insert your DeHacked patch into your wad and name it DEHACKED as Nigel suggested, you do not need to add the -deh parameter to your command line to run it in ZDooM. All you need to put in the command line is:

zdoom -file (wadname)

and any other parameters you wish to add (such as -skill or -warp)

Ok I'll give that a try next time I can use my computer at home. Does it have to have the extension .bex? What about .deh like it is now? I've also been wondering ... I've seen people using ramps, like a rising hill instead of stairs. Can DeepSea make that kind of sector? If so, how? If not, what can and how? I trust you guys' idea. I've seen how effective help here is in previous posts!

cyber-menace said:

Does it have to have the extension .bex? What about .deh like it is now?

From Nigel's site:

"Bex (Boom extensions to dehacked) dramatically increased the flexibility of dehacked when they were introduced with team TNT’s source port Boom. They removed a great many of the limitations of dehacked, and made editing other areas easier. Other source ports, eg Zdoom also support bex, and have even added to the format."

If you're using DeHacked, then you will use the .deh extension. If you're using Bex, you'll use the .bex extension.

I've seen people using ramps, like a rising hill instead of stairs. Can DeepSea make that kind of sector? If so, how? If not, what can and how?

Ramps (or slopes), as you probably realize, are a feature of source ports rather than editors. More specifically, AFAIK only ZDooM currently supports slopes. So, in answer to your question, yes, DeepSea can make slopes. (I assume you will be using ZDooM, and know how to use an editor in ZDooM or ZDooM-Hexen mode.) Nigel can give you the specifics of using DeepSea to use this feature.

That's a ZDOOM "slope" special. Value varies depending on ZDOOM vs ZDOOMHEXEN. Slope specials are in the "Slopes" category. Basically these slope one sector floor/ceiling into the next sector floor/ceing - a ramp. Look at the levels that have these and you'll find them right where the "ramp" starts or ends.

ZDOOM (regular levels) use various specials to choose ceiling/floor direction. Hexen format uses the arguments to decide.

FYI: Vavoom also does slopes and some pretty cool 3D stuff that's easy to do.

deep said:

FYI: Vavoom also does slopes and some pretty cool 3D stuff that's easy to do.

That's good to know, thanks. I should check it out. Now only if I could find some time to do it. Heh.

How would I set up this source port so that DeepSea would understand that it is a slope, AKA no lower texture required. Also can WinDeu do this as well? Is it done the same way? And most of all where can I get this source port? All this information will really helpout my next level.

BTW: I've also seen different coloured lighting in sectors. Is this easy to do? Does it require another source? And what about water ... I'm sure that one is hard. This map will be a Zdoom only ... I guess. And I will switch my .deh to .bex! Will just renaming it work or will that cause the file to be invalid.

cyber-menace said:

How would I set up this source port so that DeepSea would understand that it is a slope, AKA no lower texture required.

Actually, you wouldn't set up your source port, as much as set up DeepSea to allow for map editing in the source port environment. Btw, although it appears that a lower texture is not required, some editors will give you an error when you run an error check.

Also can WinDeu do this as well? Is it done the same way?

AFAIK, WinDEU cannot be used to edit for ZDooM.

And most of all where can I get this source port?

Are you talking about ZDooM or Vavoom? ZDooM can be found here. But I imagine you already know that.

BTW: I've also seen different coloured lighting in sectors. Is this easy to do? Does it require another source? And what about water ... I'm sure that one is hard.

ZDooM and many other ports support colored lighting, as well as deep water. And no, they are generally not difficult to implement.

This map will be a Zdoom only ... I guess. And I will switch my .deh to .bex! Will just renaming it work or will that cause the file to be invalid.

If you aren't using any of the Bex capabilities, there's no need to switch from DeHacked (or rename the file).

There's still one small problem. I don't have any idea whatsoever how to make any of these things. And since Deepsea is shareware and Windeu can't support Zdoom editing, I don't have a full version program to use for larger maps made this way. Any suggestions?

BTW: I've looked at the notgod.com downloads page and I didn't see anything about AFAIK I did see something called ACC though.

cyber-menace said:

There's still one small problem. I don't have any idea whatsoever how to make any of these things.

Don't view that as a problem; rather, view that as an opportunity. OK, now that I've got the philosophy lesson out of the way .....

Slopes, colored lighting, and deep water are relatively easy to implement. There are plenty of tutorials, and plenty of friendly folk to help once you get started.

And since Deepsea is shareware and Windeu can't support Zdoom editing, I don't have a full version program to use for larger maps made this way. Any suggestions?

DeepSea is shareware, but you can make a decent-sized beginner map with it. If you're looking for a free program that allows editing for ZDooM, check out Zeth. It is available from ZDooM's site.

BTW: I've looked at the notgod.com downloads page and I didn't see anything about AFAIK I did see something called ACC though.

You can get the last full release (v1.22) here or recent beta releases here

ReX said:

or recent beta releases here

yeah go there and click on the highest number. Right now is 42.

Well this IS an odd coiensedence (sorry about my spelling). Before I read your most recent post Rex I already got ZETH! I tried it, but it didn't seem to work. I could walk through all the walls I made! I also noticed that I can't seem to make slopes in ZETH or coloured lights! I found out how to make slopes in Deepsea, but not coloured lights (didn't have much time for experimenting). The slope worked perfectly in Deepsea and in Zdoom, but ZETH ... well ... I don't exactly know what went wrong. I was able to just walk through all of my walls. I DO know why I wasn't able to make any slopes. When ZETH starts up it never can find my Doom 2 wad. I always have to type it's location in myself. I tried editing the INI, but that only worked on PWADS. How can I stop that and my walking through walls problem?

I heard some nice things about Wadauthor! Where could I get this editor, and is it hard to use?

All this info would really help me so PLEASE give me a hand!

cyber-menace said:

How can I stop that and my walking through walls problem?

I have never used Zeth, so I couldn't tell you why you're having these problems. Visit the forums at theZDooM site and ask there. Randy Heit, the creator of ZDooM, is currently maintaining and updating ZETH. He will probably be able to help you.

I heard some nice things about Wadauthor! Where could I get this editor, and is it hard to use?

Yes, WadAuthor is a very good editor. However, it is shareware, and must be registered after 15 days. You can get it here . XWE is another very good editor, and it's free. But don't give up on DeepSea just yet, as it's a very good editor that will serve practically all your DooM editing needs.

I still don't know how to make coloured lights. I haven't given up on Deepsea yet, I just want something that can give me unlimited sidefs after I use up the limit in Deepsea. Many of my maps are HUGE and need a different program to edit them. I might try wad author, but 15 days I mean come on most shareware programs give you 30 - 120 days!

cyber-menace said:

I still don't know how to make coloured lights.

Everything you wanted to know about colored lighting in ZDooM. It uses WadAuthor as an example, but the same principle applies in DeepSea and other ZDooM-capable editors.

I haven't given up on Deepsea yet...

Good for you.

I just want something that can give me unlimited sidefs after I use up the limit in Deepsea. Many of my maps are HUGE and need a different program to edit them.

I mentioned XWE, which is free. It lacks documentation, but if you're familiar with the basics of editing you shouldn't need too much documentation. Regardless, Csabo, the author, is very good at responding to questions.

Hey I have a full version of WadAuthor now! Don't worry it's nothing illegal. It wasn't much. I looked at the shareware and it's pretty good.

I'm having a HUGE problem with wadauthor! I can't get Zdoom2.wcf to work and with Zdoom.wcf it crashes when I highlight a Lindef! WHAT IS GOING ON AROUND HERE! When I set up my Doom2 wad it doesn't work with Zdoom2.wcf! I'm begginning to dislike wadauthor someone PLEASE help me.