Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Job

Which one should I get?

Well, I'm going to customize whichever I get. They're fairly reasonable in price.

Vulg@r said:

Well, I'm going to customize whichever I get. They're fairly reasonable in price.

I recommend :

Dual Pentium 4 2.20 ghz processors
1 gig of RAM
2 120 gig HDs
GeForce 4 Ti 4800
Audigy 2
19 inch monitor
5.1 surround sound

:-P

Like BBG said, unless you need a new computer right now, then just save up your money for a monster machine. Trust me, if you aren't the kind of person to upgrade at every chance, then getting a great machine, even if it is kind of expensive, is better than getting a decent computer that you'll have to upgrade sooner. Just as an example, the computer I'm using was very nice when it was new... about the time that Half-Life came out, and I haven't really had to upgrade it until now, and I didn't have to even consider upgrading until about a year ago.

If Kat was here, she would say the exact same thing as she did to The_Aeromaster:

First of all, they're not going to put anything in the game "that you need cutting edge hardware" to run. They never have, they never will, and pretty much, in the gaming industry, that just doesn't happen. It limits the developers' target audience too much, because even though people with lesser systems can certainly run the game, the people who don't understand how to modify even relatively simple detail settings (the largest portion of an a-list game's audience) will be unsatisfied with the game's performance at the default detail settings. Or, if the default detail settings are lowered from the maximum, then those people who've bought brand-new systems from an OEM for a ridiculous sum (which are never truly "cutting-edge") will be upset that the game really doesn't look as good as they've heard.

Second of all, upgrading your current system for Doom 3 is both ridiculous and brain-dead. That system as it stands will run even the unoptimized alpha fine, and it should slay the final game. Unless you've got more money than you know what to do with or you're completely retarded, wasting money on another system "for" Doom 3 is moronic.

Thirdly, you "bought" the game? Really? Where? What does the box look like? What comes with the game? Do you get a paper manual? How many discs is it? Get a clue. You might've pre-ordered the game, but even that's dubious. I, for one, got my money back on my reservation. I'm just going to go buy a retail copy of the game when it comes out.

Get the message? *SMILIE REMOVED*

Kirby X said:

If Kat was here, she would say the exact same thing as she did to The_Aeromaster:

Get the message?

What the fuck are you babbling about?

Vulg@r: It might help if you told us your price range, and whether or not you need this computer immediately. If you dont need it right away, you're better of waiting. Also, building your own system is really the way to go.

I'll show you the specs. I'm really not into getting a kick ass PC because then I'll feel obligated to upgrade it. :) My price range is about 600 bucks, so I don't really expect a lot. I customized the cheap one and with the taxes and shipping, it came to $649.77. So that's a $20 payement every month not too shabby.

Dimension 2350 Series: Dimension™ 2350, Intel® Celeron® Processor at 1.80GHz DX218CB [221-1791]
Memory: FREE UPGRADE! 256MB DDR SDRAM 256MP [461-8524]
Keyboard: Dell® Quietkey® Keyboard QK [310-1582]
Monitor: FREE UPGRADE! 19 in M992 Monitor M992P [461-7184]
Video Card: Integrated Intel® Extreme 3D Graphics IV [430-3900]
Hard Drive: 30GB Value Hard Drive 30V [340-7399]
Floppy Drive and Additional Storage Devices: 3.5 in Floppy Drive 3 [310-3401]
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition¹² WHXP [313-7222] [412-0309] [420-1921]
Mouse: Dell® 2-button scroll mouse SM [310-1871]
Network Interface: Integrated 10/100 Ethernet IN [430-0441]
Modem: 56K PCI Data/Fax Modem DFAX [313-1313]
CD or DVD Drive: 48x Max CD-ROM Drive CD48 [313-1476]
Sound Card: Integrated Audio IS [313-0847]
Speakers: Harman Kardon® HK-395 Speakers with Subwoofer

Everything else is details. But that's basically the package I'm looking at right now.

That's not a bad system at all. It's not cutting edge, but will be more than enough for most school work (unless your doing autocad or something like that). It should also play most games decently. Older games, like Half-Life, will fly.
Not that I actually know much about DooM 3 specs, but Im sure this is enough to at least run the damn thing (although the memory may be a problem, but thats easy and cheap to upgrade).

Oh, and I think Alienware is fine.

Edit: You should find out if Dells come with an extra AGP slot, so that you can upgrade the card later. My old compaq had it's card soldered in, and I had to buy a PCI card later on. Thank god I eventually got a new PC.

Intel® Celeron® Processor at 1.80GHz

No. The Celeron sucks. You'd be better off with a Pentium 4 than a Celeron, though I would recommend an Athlon XP over both of them but Dell doesn't offer AMD processors in their systems.

Memory: FREE UPGRADE! 256MB DDR SDRAM

You're going to want at least 512MB.

Integrated Intel® Extreme 3D Graphics IV

No, no, no, NO! This is the shittiest video system you could ever ask for. You'll want at least a Geforce3 or a Radeon 8500 or higher.

30GB Value Hard Drive

"Value?" That's probably a fancy way of saying 5400RPM, 11ms access time. Which, in short, sucks absolutely.

Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition

I would recommend XP Professional or Windows 2000 instead.

48x Max CD-ROM Drive

Definitely go for a CD burner. Today, there's no reason not to.

Sound Card: Integrated Audio

More than likely, you're going to want a REAL sound card, by (dare I say) Creative, or better, Turtle Beach, Phillips, or Hercules.

As someone else mentioned in that post, Alienware is good for people who want high performance, but can't build their own PC. They are overpriced though.

End of Alienware conversation, I dont want this thread to end up in Post Hell. There's nothing else that needs to be said.

Bloodshedder: It's still a pretty damn good deal for 600 bucks. Especially if you dont need top of the line. I dont think Vulg@r is looking to render Monsters Inc. in the span of a day. He probably just needs to do some everyday work.

Looking at my previous post, perhaps I was a bit too critical. The Celeron should perform good enough for what you'll be doing, and 256MB is a bit on the low side but should be fine. The biggest problems I see is the lack of a real video card and the absence of a CD burner.

d00d, if you want, I have a GeForce 2 MX 400 64 mb video card I'm looking to sell. Say...$40?

I, too, would suggest AMD.

If you like Alienware, you might also like hypersonic-pc.com. It is a good idea to shop around. If you are willing to pay for the very best, falcon-nw.com.

Hmmm, I just visited falcon-nw, and their Talon computers are actually more affordable than anything at either Ailenware or Hypersonic, but still only just shy of $1000.

Ew, Celeron!

Ew, XP Home!

Ew, Integrated Sound!

Ew, Crappy Video!

Ew, Crappy System!

If price is more important than performance, you'll get a crappy 1200 MHz Duron for $30.

Jesus!

Guys, I would suggest that unless you have the money...

DO NOT GET A MACH V 2800+ OR BETTER FROM FALCON-NW.

You're just going to spend a ridiculous amount of money for these PCs. I'm serious.

I personally would wait UNTIL there is an offical announcement from id Software about the system requirements for Doom III.

I'd wait much longer than that, at least a few months after it's released (Unless it won't run on your current system at all. In that case, get it right before it's released.). By that time, the system you're looking for would be much cheaper than if you got it right now. Also, you might be able to get something that runs Doom 3 like today's computers run Doom 2.

Kirby X said:

Get the message?

Smilies are turned off for a reason, OK?

BBG said:

I recommend :

1 gig of RAM
2 120 gig HDs
GeForce 4 Ti 4800
Audigy 2
19 inch monitor
5.1 surround sound

Pfft Fuck ti 4800.....Ati All in wonder 9700 is much better 0_0

BBG said:

I recommend :

1 gig of RAM
2 120 gig HDs
GeForce 4 Ti 4800
Audigy 2
19 inch monitor
5.1 surround sound

no. Do not get dual P4. Get one P4 2.533
512 mb ram is enough.
Wait a bit for better prices on GPU's
Do NOT get an Audigy 2. Get a Terratec card, they are better. If you do not believe me, then go check out some tests.

There's no point in overspending for a computer just for the little buzzy feeling get knowing that you won't have to upgrade for a while.

It's always cost-efficient to only get what you need in a computer at the moment, and upgrade later as needed. Don't get a 120GB hard drive if you're only going to fill 20GB. Don't get 1GB of memory if it will not make any difference to any performance whatsoever. Don't get a GeForce3 until the games that need it come out.