Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MagnuM

A guy makin' levels

I've been building a few levels of my own in the past week and I ran into something peculiar. I have a level that is in the beta stage and when I tested it and ran it under Vanilla Doom II, it runs slow when doors open or when I go into other sectors. What is the problem here?
There is no exremely large rooms, no enemies yet, and there is no significant amount of added detail.

Also, I have noticed it runs a smoother under Edge32.exe.

Someone tell me whats wrong here...

Could be you have an error that slows doom but not ports, eg a multi patch texture on the middle of a 2 sided line.

1. Does your editor have a thorough error checker?

yes... go to 2

no... go to 3

2. Use it :-P

3. Get one that does and use it. :-PP

Seriously, give the level a errror check with a program that has good error checking routines (such as DeePSea).

Well Meek...I already use DeePsea.

I still have the problems.

You know of any Doomer who tests .wad files and checks em' for errors or fuck ups?

MagnuM said:

Well Meek...I already use DeePsea.

I still have the problems.

You know of any Doomer who tests .wad files and checks em' for errors or fuck ups?

Does DeePsea give you an error like "texture XYZ on lindef 123 has 4 patches, possible problem" (can't remember the exact wording)? If so, it will be a multitexture patch on a 2S wall. That is something that, under certain circumstances drags doom2.exe to an absolute crawl yet can be almost impossible to spot if the texture is in a not very obvious area. There's a few like that in Aliens doom, but source ports usually don't have a problem with it.

In the unlikely event Cyrez doesn't get it sorted, I can take a look if you like Enjay001@hotmail.com .

If only more people played DooM...

This world would be a much happier and better place for us all :|

I'll give ya a buzz if you wanna check this beta of mine out.

Enjay said:

a multi patch texture on the middle of a 2 sided line.

Whoa! So that's what's with the freaky texture. You can't have two patches there. I see.

You might find also that if you are missing a texture somewhere that the game will really drag - in fact, that is inevitable because the game can't draw something in a place it needs to.