512 ddr
64meg geforce 4 mx440
120 gig H.D

i am thinking about upgrading to a radeon 9000 pro

OR

waiting and getting either the 9500 pro or 9700 pro

should i wait or should i settle for the 9000 pro

bear in mind as well that i want to spend the least money possible

all i want to know is, by your estimation, would a 9000 pro make my system sufficient to play doom 3 well i.e above 50 fps???

3 replies and noone has answered the poor dude's question yet... I recommend, instead of spending what money u've saved up now, save up a lil more and buy at least the 9700, or wait for the newer ones, then your system will probly run it great, although I'm sure it will run decent the way it is

go ahead, Kirby, stay somethin else stupid, i dare ya

kirby i would like to say this in the least offensive way possible, but how many people have u managed to piss off in the 3-5 days youve been registered? you have upwards of 100 posts in the amount of time youve been registered. unless you are a reincarnated screen name of a past forum member, which ive not heard of you being, that is a lot of spam. more than doom anomaly.

Liam thinks Kirby will go berserk like he did on NewDoom, so, it's just a matter of time.

Or you can just do as I'm doing at waiting till doom 3 actually comes out before buying a new video card. That way you'll know for sure what's going to work on it.

Mr.bob said:

i am thinking about upgrading to a radeon 9000 pro

OR

waiting and getting either the 9500 pro or 9700 pro

should i wait or should i settle for the 9000 pro

bear in mind as well that i want to spend the least money possible

If you're on a tight budget, get the 9500 Pro. The 9000 is slower than an 8500. The 9700 is the optimal choice, but it's gonna cost extra accordingly.

The advice to wait until closer to the release date of Doom III is good advice. The cards will be cheaper then, and you might be able to get a 9700 for your money.

Mr.bob said:

all i want to know is, by your estimation, would a 9000 pro make my system sufficient to play doom 3 well i.e above 50 fps???

No. It wouldn't.

Right now im running a p3 650 256 ram 20 gig hd and ati radeon 7200 and it really dosent run anything worth shit .....:-(

BBG said:

Liam thinks Kirby will go berserk like he did on NewDoom, so, it's just a matter of time.

Heh, do you have the URL to that thread?

AMD K6-2 475Mhz
256Mb ram
6Gb HDD
Geforce 2 64Mb video
PAS 16
48x Maxtor Cdrom

Annoyingly pathetic, I know. :P

300 megahertz k6-2
256 megs DRAM (133mHz)
20 gig hard drive, almost full
16 meg ATI Xpert 128

Ravage: I win.

It's all in how you maintain it, though... for the most part, I have this operating quite smoothly.

You can buy as expensive a gpu as u want, but your computer hasta be able to handle it... fall in love with ram too.

What I mean is u need a well-balanced system, like UV^ You can't have a bunch of extremes, like a ton of ram and no gpu won't get u anywhere with a half-assed processor.

Let the bitching begin.
. . .

/Me loses his patience with Kirby X and bans his ass.

the 9500 pro is a lower clocked version of 9700 pro....im thinking with GFX coming out radeon will possibly lower prices anyway + the 9900 will prob lower price of 9700 pro...ill probably wait

i can get the Connect3D RADEON™ 9700 + VGA DVI-I & Tv-out- AGP 8x for £187.99 ($281)...good enough card?

readon 9900?.. whats that??. the name of the card is 9800 pro, 9900 was just an assumption on the name.. made by some hardware geeks

Mr.bob said:

i can get the Connect3D RADEON™ 9700 + VGA DVI-I & Tv-out- AGP 8x for £187.99 ($281)...good enough card?

Yes, just perfect

Pentium® 4 @ 3.06GHz
512MB RDRAM
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
with 2 80 gig hard drives.

Im ready for d3. Orignaly I bought it cuz I wanted to make more detaild cg and my old comp wasent cuting it any more.

Mr. Bob, by taking a welder and moving one transistor on the 9500 cards, you can essentially upgrade them halfway to a 9700 just like that. And if you overclock it afterward, the 9500 will exceed the 9700.

And for heaven's sake, wait until Doom 3 is actually available. Then upgrade your computer.

You might want to wait until the game comes out if that's the only game you're concerned about. If you want to play other games in the meantime then you might consider the Radeon 9700. It is cheaper than the Radeon 9700 Pro and benchmarks show that performs almost the same... it is still a ridiculously powerful card. It's kinda pricey still at around 230 bucks on pricewatch.com but I think you will need this power for the experience that D00M fans like us are looking forward to.

I actually just bought a Radeon 9700 Pro yesterday and all I can say is "Oh my GOD!!" This thing is so over-the-top powerful... you can run anything today totally maxed out at exceptional framerates, I kid you not!