Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

3D Floor Over Floor in ZDoom?

Just a thought: IMO, it would be very cool to have 3d floor over floor in ZDoom. I don't mean the kind with bridge things and silent teleports and all that. I mean the real stuff, like with Legacy or EDGE. Has anyone suggested this to Randy yet? I, personally, would love to see it.

Wow, my sarcasm detector just jumped off the scale! Thanks for your uplifting and slightly sarcastic reply, which was absolutely pointless!

If I recall correctly, wasn't there a originally a poll taken to decide if Zdoom was gonna get 3d floors or slopes..?

Obviously slopes won :)

DooMBoy said:

Has anyone suggested this to Randy yet?

People have been asking Randy for floor-over-floor for a while, but he has given no indication that he intends to implement it.

I, personally, would love to see it.

You and me, both.

sargebaldy said:

that is the most ridiculously original idea i've ever heard :P

Not as ridiculous as the idea of featuring slopes in ZDooM ;)

sargebaldy said:

that is the most ridiculously original idea i've ever heard :P

Do tell. :) I wish someone would go on and put it in ZDoom, that would make untold legions of ZDoom players and level editors very happy.

Speaking out of my arse here, but wouldn't the enemy AI get really confused if you were on the floor below it?

Trasher][ said:
Speaking out of my arse here, but wouldn't the enemy AI get really confused if you were on the floor below it?

That might very well happen, but I suppose if one could code floor over floor, then they could very well code better monster AI as well :)

Scripts, my folks!

You can do wonders to monster AI by routs and Thing_Hate.

How about moving a monster toward an elevator and openning the door and moving the monster inside and closing the door and moving it to the first floor and openning the door to let the monster out and toward the player?

Trasher][ said:
.....wouldn't the enemy AI get really confused if you were on the floor below it?

That would appear to be the case. But it doesn't seem to be a problem in EDGE and Legacy, so I guess ZDooM should be able to handle it.

Sphagne said:

How about moving a monster toward an elevator and etc...

Meanwhile, your friendly neighborhood UAC Marine, having just dined on a huge lunch of pork and beans, is idly picking his teeth and going over in his mind what he's going to write in his next UHF transmission to his girlfriend on Earth, and fails to notice the unaided transport of a hostile alien combatant from the floor below to the floor above, thereby entirely relinquishing to the aforementioned alien the element of surprise.

;)

How about a cutscene at first then the flow of scripted monsters from all around? But it was just an example to show that you can simulate some AI with scripts.

Well, not to sound rude, but I don't think I know anyone who uses Vavoom.

If ZDoom ever got 3D floors like Legacy, I would stop maping legacy maps altogether.

You know, I've thought of an idea to make a real 3D Floor over Floor in ZDoom. Since I'm in a bit of a real life(tm) strife atm, I'll have to give this a try after it's been sorted out.

You infidel, you absorbed my brain while I was sleeping!

But yeah, that, and a few custom textures (well, existing textures butchered in height).

deathz0r said:

You infidel, you absorbed my brain while I was sleeping!

Not really, as I thought of it months ago - that's why there are quite a few 2-storey rooms in LTSD.

As I understand it, 3D floors are not easy. All the algorithms in Doom assume that there is no room over room so you'd have to recode pretty much the whole thing.

Now, there are other ways to do it, certain hacks will do, but slopes are also a hack and a hack on a hack isn't a good idea. If you want 3D floors just use the TransferHeight and put in some bridge objects. It kinda works.

Or use Legacy you frad. =P

Er, might I add on a late note that SoM doesn't ever want to do 3D floors again and GameArena is very irritated because he can't get it to work. As you can see, it's not as simple as "omfg add ror lozl!" =)