Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Johnatone

it's a doom, doom, doom, doom, doom world (that was dumb)

how much influence has doom had on the world? a lot. more than i can imagine. for instance:

-every game featuring a lone military man features that man as a marine (quake 2, halo, half-life: opposistion force)

-duke nukem 3d has a refrence to the doomguy (that's one doomed space marine)

-in half life: opposistion force, when the final boss sound is played backwards, it says: "To win the game you must kill me Randy Pitchford"

-everytime some youth commits a violent crime, doom is usually part of the blame.

-people like us are still worshipping it.

what else have you noticed?

in the movie 'congo', the demo from doom 1 is playing on a computer monitor near the beginning of the film. i'm sure it's appeared in more movies than this, too, but i can't currently recall.

Several games have paid homage to Doom. I think Soldier of Fortune 2 and one of the Tony Hawk games.

People call spinning multi-barrelled guns chainguns.

HWGuy said:

...and one of the Tony Hawk games.

wow. i might start playing tony hawk.

Grosse Pointe Blank, the Doom 2 arcade machine in the mini-mart.

Pointless trivia: During the scene where Blanke and the other assasin are trading shots in the mini-mart, and the clerk is playing the Doom 2 machine, the song "Ace of Spades" is playing in the background. This same song is used in Tony Hawk 3, the PC version of which has the Doomguy character. Coincidence?

monochrome said:

-every game featuring a lone military man features that man as a marine (quake 2, halo, half-life: opposistion force)

I'm pretty sure that all comes from Aliens.

Well one thing Doom did was helped to make video games except from the freedom of expression laws in America. Five violent games were there to testify in the defence of all games, and Doom was one of them (in addition two one or two which don't exist).

According to some politicians, Doom helps young male teenagers to take care of overpopulation.

Disorder said:

According to some politicians, Doom helps young male teenagers to take care of overpopulation.

o_O

I'm pretty sure there are people who bought computers and became interested in them because of Doom.

monochrome said:

Serious Sam isn't a marine - he's a special forces guy (but he sure as Hell doesn't look like one).

-duke nukem 3d has a refrence to the doomguy (that's one doomed space marine)

Plus it has weapons that are remarkably similar to Doom (pistol, shotgun, some sort of machinegun, rocket launcher) - but hey, almost every FPS out there has these weapons.

-everytime some youth commits a violent crime, doom is usually part of the blame.

Will they ever learn?

what else have you noticed?

Most FPSs out there are about someone fighting freaky monsters.
Half Life's story is suspiciously close to Doom's (as is Quake's).
Serious Sam - 'nuff said.
Guys like me write stories and do art related to Doom.

DarkWolf said:

I'm pretty sure there are people who bought computers and became interested in them because of Doom.

Me being one of them. Ever since I first saw someone playing it in a computerstore I kept whining for a new pc. It helped :)

I don't remember which movie it was, but in a Patrick Swayze (sp?) movie (maybe Footloose or something?), Patrick entered a farm house and his son, or some kid, was sitting down blasting a hell knight with a plasma rifle on the PSX Doom (or Final Doom). The sounds were totally different and it was kinda messed up.

pregnant with worms said:

in the movie 'congo', the demo from doom 1 is playing on a computer monitor near the beginning of the film. i'm sure it's appeared in more movies than this, too, but i can't currently recall.

I remember another movie it was the playstaion version a kid was playing it in the movie "break down" with curt russel.

Tyockell said:

I remember another movie it was it it was the playstaion version a kid was playing it in the movie "break down" with curt russel.

That's the one! I was wrong, it was Curt Russel in that movie! Ah...thanks for relieving me of the misery of not knowing. :D

Vulg@r said:

That's the one! I was wrong, it was Curt Russel in that movie! Ah...thanks for relieving me of the misery of not knowing. :D

No problem man :-P

Lord FlatHead said:

There was a Doom reference in an old episode of "Friends".

Yea I remember that he just got a new laptop and had doom on it.

The shotgun. Nearly every game since Doom has had a shotgun or shotgun variant in it.

IMJack said:

Grosse Pointe Blank, the Doom 2 arcade machine in the mini-mart.

Pointless trivia: During the scene where Blanke and the other assasin are trading shots in the mini-mart, and the clerk is playing the Doom 2 machine, the song "Ace of Spades" is playing in the background. This same song is used in Tony Hawk 3, the PC version of which has the Doomguy character. Coincidence?

where at in TH3? my bro has the game and has unlocked most of it. however is it the PC version only, or all the TH3 games?

If I weren't separated from my computer for the week, I'd get some choice screencaps myself.

IMJack said:

The shotgun. Nearly every game since Doom has had a shotgun or shotgun variant in it.

Yeah, heh, even in military style games, even though a shotgun is a shitty weapon for combat in most cases.

I recall a show on CBBC (when it was good that is) where the series started off with the main character dreaming he was in doom (ie it showed a demo of a new level) and then after he came acroos demons ina cage he woke up. I can't remember what it was called though. I'll have to look it up.

Pfft, Doom really didn't change the world. If Doom hadn't come along, something else would, and even then, if you ask Joe Average on the street what Doom is, he'll say "Doom what?????"

ZarcyB said:

Pfft, Doom really didn't change the world. If Doom hadn't come along, something else would, and even then, if you ask Joe Average on the street what Doom is, he'll say "Doom what?????"

Yes, something else would have come along. But something else didnt, DooM did.
And most people actually do know what DooM is, at least here in the states.

I believe the code to play as the Doomguy in Tony Hawk 3 for the PC (I bought the game just for it!) is idkfa. It's only unlocked with that cheat, not in the unlock everything cheat.