Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Johnatone

it's a doom, doom, doom, doom, doom world (that was dumb)

Assmaster said:

Yes, something else would have come along. But something else didnt, DooM did.
And most people actually do know what DooM is, at least here in the states.

I bet your average office-worker or something wouldn't know.

You'd be surprised. They may not have played it, but they will probably have seen it. If nothing else, they know what it is due to media coverage.

Assmaster said:

Yes, something else would have come along. But something else didnt, DooM did.
And most people actually do know what DooM is, at least here in the states.

Yeah, and when you start talking to someone about Doom and say you still play/mod for it, they'll most likely reply back "You still play with that old game? It's 9-10 years old! Play something new like HalfLife or Unreal Tournament." :p

ZarcyB said:

if you ask Joe Average on the street what Doom is, he'll say "Doom what?????"

Actaully, i'd think you'd get one of three replies, likely based on age and conservatism:
1: "Hey, yeah, I used to/still play that game..."
2: "Doom? That's that computer game, right? (Looks cool...)"
3: [screams, runs, makes warding signs against evil]

Lizardcommando said:

Yeah, and when you start talking to someone about Doom and say you still play/mod for it, they'll most likely reply back "You still play with that old game? It's 9-10 years old! Play something new like HalfLife or Unreal Tournament." :p

Which doesn't make sense because HL is 5 years old and UT is what? 4 years old?

Well, even nowdays, in any game I play, I always have the space bar as the use key and I try not to save under doors/on lifts/ect.

Ct_red_pants said:

Well, even nowdays, in any game I play, I always have the space bar as the use key and I try not to save under doors/on lifts/ect.

Heh, me too. I also straferun in every FPS, even if it doesnt give me a speed increase.

pregnant with worms said:

in the movie 'congo', the demo from doom 1 is playing on a computer monitor near the beginning of the film. i'm sure it's appeared in more movies than this, too, but i can't currently recall.

Reamber that stuped VanDamn movie that takes place at a hocky game.
The terrorits that is working on a comp is playing doom throgh out the movie.Think Hard I know there are alot of stuped Van Damn movies.
Street Fighter being the worst.

-everytime some youth commits a violent crime, doom is usually part of the blame.

Wrong. People are to blame. If the violent idea isn't already in the person's mind, no game can put it there. That's like saying McDonald's is to balme for public obesity.

arderkrag said:

-everytime some youth commits a violent crime, doom is usually part of the blame.

Wrong. People are to blame. If the violent idea isn't already in the person's mind, no game can put it there. That's like saying McDonald's is to balme for public obesity.

Exactly. Doom and McDonalds are convenient scapegoats. The perception of evil is as damning as evil itself.

Next some one is going to go on a huge killing spree and say colgate made them do it.Ya know 5 years ago I coud never think that some one would do that. It show ya how stuped this world is geting.

monochrome said:

how much influence has doom had on the world? a lot. more than i can imagine. for instance:

what else have you noticed?

Don't forget the DooM tribute in Quake 2.

And also that DooM has influenced the Sonic community as well - Sonic 3D used an engine that seemed a lot like DooM's, and some current projects are based on DooM source ports.

There's also the audio side - some tunes have sampled DooM sounds in the past, and you sometimes get DooM sounds on TV (usually on ads).

arderkrag said:

That's hitting the nail on the head for you. :)

I honestly don't think videogames effect people like that. If Donkey kong had affected the children of yesterday they'd all be dressed up like plumbers (or carpenters, since Mario was originally a carpenter) climbing tall buildings expecting to find an over-sized orangutan holding a lady hostage at the top (vaguely speaking). In essence, It's complete nonsense.

Ultimate DooMer said:

There's also the audio side - some tunes have sampled DooM sounds in the past, and you sometimes get DooM sounds on TV (usually on ads).

I think you'll find they just used the same audio samples CD.

being from the USA and living in France for a year, i've never seen in any mags the word (or whatever) "FPS" if it is a FPS like Half-Life or UT2003 (or some weird game that i donno what it is but its NOT a FPS) they just call it "Doom Like" hehehe hey, thats not bad for a 9 y/o game

BBG said:

Yeah, heh, even in military style games, even though a shotgun is a shitty weapon for combat in most cases.

Yea not known for there armour piercing capabilities thats for sure, just good if you wanna blow off a limb or something :-P.

Last semester I was playing Quake 3 and one of my suitemates came in and said "waoh cool, is that Doom?", so the first person perpective like that is still associated with Doom even after 9+ years.

As far as Doom references, I recall an old episode of ER (prolly around the 2nd or 3rd season) where the employees were deathmatching another hospital. They even showed the screen for a bit which was neat. There was a demon on the screen tho, so perhaps they were playing coop...or forgot -nomonsters hehe.