Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
el zee

ACS

I dunno about other editors, but WadAuhor has a built-in editor for scripts.

DeePSea calls notepad by default, but you can set it to use any text editor that you choose (I use Textpad).

I believe the WA internal one can start running out of space if you write big scripts.

There is also a program that someone wrote for script writing. It puts things like #include "zcommon.acs" at the start and helps set up scripts and has a bunch functions pre set up to just click and enter. Unfortunately I don't remember it's name. It looked very good and would be ideal for someone trying to get to grips with scripting. I'm pretty sure it was by someone quite active around here. Maybe someone else knows?

el zee said:

whats the best editor for ACS scripting?

As mewse was indicating, ACS scripts start out as text files that must be compiled in order to work. So the best tool for writing ACS scripts is something like MS Notepad. On the other hand, if you use WadAuthor, you can call up your scripts and compile them directly from within WadAuthor.

If you're asking which DooM editor is best for ACS scripting, then I'd have to say you should try them yourself. The procedures for writing and compiling scripts in DeepSea, WadAuthor, XWE, and Zeth vary somewhat. However, AFAIK they all produce equally workable scripts, so none of them is truly "best" in that department.

EDIT: Hi Nigel. Just noticed that you had posted before me.

Enjay said:

I believe the WA internal one can start running out of space if you write big scripts.

heh, if it does I have yet to run into it

wauthor's script editor has issues with multiple monitors though. For whatever reason it chops off all the buttons to the right (compile, cancel, ok, show, import, export, font, help) but I was able to figure out the shortcuts via trial and error (and a lot of cursing) alt+c compiles, alt+r closes the editor (same as hitting ok) for anyone curious.

Cyb said:

heh, if it does I have yet to run into it

It's happened several times. Search these and notgod's forums and you'll find them. IIRC X-DOOM was one of them. What you have to do is make an "include" for the real scripts and then edit the scripts using something else.

This is only true for Win9X. NT/2K/XP should be ok in this department - assuming WA used the API I'm thinking of. There is actually a workaround in Win9X, but it takes a bit of tinkering.

deep said:

This is only true for Win9X. NT/2K/XP should be ok in this department - assuming WA used the API I'm thinking of. There is actually a workaround in Win9X, but it takes a bit of tinkering.

Yes I have heard of others running out (I recall ultimate doomer running out when he was making ltsd), but it hasn't happened to me, since as you said, I run win2k. I made some maps in zdoom on win98 (all my zdoom maps released before zort8 in fact) but the scripts weren't nearly as large as my current ones are. tho it's funny I find with my current programming knowledge (as opposed to the near zero experience I had three years ago) acs is a lot easier to manipulate and get to do what I want. little tanget there.

I like using Deepsea's ACS script editor because you can set it to automatically compile and save the script into the level your working on after you've edited it. As for Wadauthor, I haven't used the editor much so I wouldn't know how good that script editor is.