Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Kinsie

Would I be allowed to post a early Alpha of BLOOD?

Yeah, since people seem to like BLOOD...
THINGS IN THE ALPHA:
Different hud
Seems to handle differently
No player art (Player uses Cultist art)
Shotgun is black
Napalm Launcher doesn't fire.
Dynamite bundle is actually Single Dynamite stick instead.
Strange new weapon (Claws of Death - harmless, yet undeniably cool)
No water physics.
All sorts of odd stuff.

Just checking myself before I wreck myself and all that crap. If the answer is a big No, then feel free to send this to Post H-E-double hockey sticks.

That depends on whether those who made Blood has allowed the alpha to be freely distributed

(such as id Software did with Doom).

i don't know if the doomworld forum would allow it, but if they do, i'd love to see it. it sounds pretty excellent. blood was great.

I wonder if the Doomguy would be better or worse if he ever spoke. Much less had kick ass one-liners like Caleb.

i'm amused enough by the fact that when he tries to open a non-existent door, he really gives it hell, from the sound of it.

Ultimately, it depends on whether or not the Blood alpha is legal; that is, whether or not the developers gave the go-ahead for it to be let loose in the digital stream.

I would like to see some info on this; post a link, if there is one.

Lord FlatHead said:

If it runs on WinXP, I'd certainly like to see it. Caleb is the coolest game protagonist ever.

"But I like my hands bloody !"

i dunno, the full version doesn't want to run in xp so the alpha running in it seems pretty unlikely. *sigh*

All these replies and still no 'yes or no' on the issue. I would very much like to get my hands on this alpha if possible.

BBG, check your PMs. Everyone else who wants it, PM me and I'll send the link.

Yeah, I'm not sure of the legality, but if members of the original Blood dev team gave their permission for a group of people to convert the full retail game to a new engine...

well i think i have heard they released it some time ago.
i think the same time when 3drealms released lame duke.

i wonder is the 'leaked' doom3 alpha will be made legal after the game. i wonder if Id is going to release a demo soon? or at all?

I think the Blood alpha is legal. I saw something like this on a couple of sites:

"This is the ALPHA release of Blood. This version used a version of Build engine modified by 3DFX to support their hardware."

"This ALPHA only support the Registered and Plasma versions of Blood; shareware is NOT supported."

This means you need to registered version in order to play it. The alpha should be useless to those who don't have Blood or just have the shareware version.

i think that's a different alpha. i remember playing an alpha i downloaded from a bbs a year or two before the final game was released. it was pretty sweet..

Ichor seems to be thinking of the 3DFX Patch Alpha that Monolith released a while back. That's on the official site.

Probably. It's the first time I've even heard of an alpha for Blood.

sargebaldy said:

i dunno, the full version doesn't want to run in xp

It runs on my PC, but with horrible broken sound issues that slow down the game to a crawl. It's time Monolith released all the source code and someone made ZBlood or something.

Lord FlatHead said:

It runs on my PC, but with horrible broken sound issues that slow down the game to a crawl. It's time Monolith released all the source code and someone made ZBlood or something.

IIRC, they cannot release the source code due to the fact that they licensed the Build engine from 3D Realms and 3D Realms probably told them that they could not release their source code.

BBG said:

IIRC, they cannot release the source code due to the fact that they licensed the Build engine from 3D Realms and 3D Realms probably told them that they could not release their source code.

Ken Silverman has released the base Build source. As such, it's up to each licensee (3DR, Monolith, etc.) to make the choice as to whether to release the source to their own customised version. However, Infogrames own BLOOD at the moment, and they have the say on whether the source is released. Luckily, Monolith still own the rights to the characters etc.

if the base is released chances are u could make a universal port for most build games. i bet it would be difficult but completely possible. imageing playing all your old build games.
i dont own blood, wish i did
however all the build engine games have the same type of duke nukem humor

"thats no ordinary wang."

infogrames has a policy for sucking hardcore :O

And could they have picked a crappier company name in the first place? Oh damn, infogames is taken. Oh well, let's just throw another letter in there somewhere.

Demons Hand said:

I think ya could cuz the copyright has expired a long time ago. It basicly freeware.

Negative. Copyright doesn't expire until 70 years after the creator(s) of a work are dead.

But on the other hand, an alpha never intended for release may not fall under the copyright. I'll have to ask some of my lawyer buddies.

I hereby declare this topic closed. Distributing "early alpha's" is just as illegal as distributing the registered version, IMO.

As for the release of the Blood source, see here.