Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deleted User bye

Should I go with DSDA-DOOM or Crispy Doom as a vanilla playthrough?

Really, for a vanilla playthrough, you could not go wrong with selecting either. I have used both ports and prefer DSDA-Doom, but if DSDA-Doom did not exist I would still be using Crispy Doom. Crispy Doom is a fine port, but DSDA-Doom offers me more personally as it has a better menu for adjusting stuff in-game than Crispy Doom, and has more features I find useful as well.

Doesn't really matter, as far as gameplay goes they behave the same as long as you use -complevel 2 (Doom 1.9 compatibility level) in dsda-doom. I used Crispy Doom to play through the IWADs years ago because that's what I heard of first (after Chocolate Doom). Of course another reason is that dsda-doom didn't exist back then, though PrBoom+ did. I mostly use dsda-doom nowadays, but I would still recommend Crispy Doom as a simple, low-fuss port for vanilla-faithful gameplay, great if you want vanilla gameplay and all the options/features/compatibility modes of other ports confuse you.

As for vanilla playthrough, I think almost any port works perfectly, so you can try both options and see what acommodates best for you.

That said, personally I would choose Crispy due being the most closest to Chocolate Doom (who at the same time, is a Vanilla DOS recreation for modern system), just with a lot of QoL improvements, without breaking his faithfulness.

I would say Crispy Doom, less varibles or options to worry about and gives you those authentic standard definition resolution rendered visuals that the game's graphical assets were made for.

I'm playing through vanilla with Woof! (after a loooong time), and I love the aesthetics and feel of this port- it renders in classic 640x400 but hardware scales it up - looks great, feels great due to unlimited framerate, and you'll have Boom, MBF, UMAPINFO etc. for when you start on other WADs.

DSDA-Doom is also good, but I prefer Woof!'s look rather than DSDA-Doom's higher resolution.

14 hours ago, orffen said:

I'm playing through vanilla with Woof! (after a loooong time), and I love the aesthetics and feel of this port- it renders in classic 640x400 but hardware scales it up - looks great, feels great due to unlimited framerate, and you'll have Boom, MBF, UMAPINFO etc. for when you start on other WADs.

DSDA-Doom is also good, but I prefer Woof!'s look rather than DSDA-Doom's higher resolution.

You can set dsda-doom's resolution lower (640x400 or the widescreen equivalent) and it'll scale the same way.

I'd choose DSDA, its mouse response is perfect. It's smoother, faster and more accurate than Crispy.

Edited by Ulukai

Try all of these ports and more, and choose the one that works best for you:
- DSDA
- Crispy Doom
- Woof!
- Nugget Doom
- Doom Retro
- Chocolate Doom
- Rude Doom (limit-rem version of Chocolate Doom)
- From Doom With Love
- etc.

The best real vanilla experience is Chocolate Doom, Rude Doom, or the original DOS Doom (e.g. DOSBox Staging). 

The best stable port with vanilla aesthetics and lots of new neatly built in features is Woof!, Nugget Doom, and Doom Retro.

33 minutes ago, DRON12261 said:

The best real vanilla experience is Chocolate Doom, Rude Doom, or the original DOS Doom (e.g. DOSBox Staging). 

DOSBox is what I love most when it's about playing the official IWADs. 

5 hours ago, Shepardus said:

You can set dsda-doom's resolution lower (640x400 or the widescreen equivalent) and it'll scale the same way.

I'm not sure it's the same scaling, but you're right - the experience is very similar.

4 minutes ago, Yousuf Anik said:

DOSBox is what I love most when it's about playing the official IWADs. 

Do you play with mouse and keyboard, or keyboard-only? If you use the mouse, do you use NOVERT? I find the mouse sensitivity is too low for my liking in DOSBox - if I really want a vanilla experience I just go with Chocolate Doom.

6 hours ago, Ulukai said:

I'd choose DSDA, its mouse response is perfect. It's smoother, faster and more accurate than Crispy.

How a sourceport based on Boom is more accurate than a sourceport based in Chocolate Doom?

1 hour ago, orffen said:

Do you play with mouse and keyboard, or keyboard-only? If you use the mouse, do you use NOVERT? I find the mouse sensitivity is too low for my liking in DOSBox - if I really want a vanilla experience I just go with Chocolate Doom.

I play with mouse and keyboard, also I don't use NOVERT. I totally agree with you that the mouse sensitivity is very low on DOSBox, not only that but also the whole movement system seems a bit slower. But I'm used to it because when I just go for a casual gameplay, I play it slowly so it's just fine.

6 hours ago, Ulukai said:

Isnt the same shit except crispy is more... well pixelated (duh)?

But outside of that, im use dsda, because 120 fov, and option to turn off godmode effect (mostly i cant stand them those effect, it hurt my eyes). But play any source port what do you want.

2 hours ago, Herr Dethnout said:

How a sourceport based on Boom is more accurate than a sourceport based in Chocolate Doom?

I'm talking about mouse control. The mouse response is an important detail for me when choosing a source port and DSDA is brillant in that point.

47 minutes ago, Ulukai said:

I'm talking about mouse control. The mouse response is an important detail for me when choosing a source port and DSDA is brillant in that point.

I agree - I think that DSDA and Woof! feel better than Choco and Crispy descendants. I’m not sure it’s just mouse control, I feel like movement in general feels a bit better but it’s hard to explain exactly why. 

Might be Boom handles movement and mouse inputs slightly differently, I’m not really sure. Or that acceleration is off by default in DSDA and I haven’t changed it (just sensitivity to 20).