Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doomer

zDOOM launcher by doomer

Ok, one thing to make it much better is a browse button when picking a wad.

thanks for report this thing. eee... Do you think that it will better if I add "save to .cfg"?

Believe it or not, that simple launcher is already too complex for my tastes (although, I quite like it).

All I would want from it (or any launcher) would be a box to type in the WADs I want to load with the file parameter, possibly a second box for DEH/BEX files and a third box for any additional parameters I might want to add.

I don't want or need "hidden" options on another screen that I have to click buttons or tick check boxes for. 2 or 3 little data entry fields would do me, and would cover every eventuality.

doomer said:

as I said, I created simple zdoom launcher for enjay. it is on my page

Wow, I really appreciate that. I can't wait to try it. Unfortunately, every time I click the link I get

"Przykro nam, strona o podanym adresie nie istnieje"

Which I guess is file or address not found. :-/

Edit: OK, on a hunch, I managed to get the file. Your link is simplezl.zip but the file is simpleZL.zip. Case sensitivity, doncha just love it.

On a very quick look, it seems to cover everything I need. the only comment I would make is that it could be wider to allow you to see more of what you type in each box. Aside from that it looks pretty neat and compact. I'll try it for a few days and let you know how it works out.

OK, first problem :-)

If you use the browse buttons to find a file outside the Zdoom directory, the launcher cannot find Zdoom.

eg

I have Zdoom in c:\doom\zdoom2

and a file c:\map01.wad

If I just type c:\map01.wad in the WADs box it works

If I use the browse button to find the WAD, it seems to leave the launcher trying to run from c:\ instead of c:\doom\zdoom2, so when I click Launch!, nothing happens.

Also, path names with spaces need to have " " placed around them before they will work.

Ok. Next versions will be these sugestions. ooh... It wad wriened in Delphi 6. Next version will be (I think so) at the end of march because i have got too much exams and I will work only in weekends.

doomer said:

Next version will be (I think so) at the end of march because i have got too much exams and I will work only in weekends.

Ack, weeks to wait ;-)

Good luck with the exams.

Enjay said:

Believe it or not, that simple launcher is already too complex for my tastes (although, I quite like it).

All I would want from it (or any launcher) would be a box to type in the WADs I want to load with the file parameter, possibly a second box for DEH/BEX files and a third box for any additional parameters I might want to add.

I don't want or need "hidden" options on another screen that I have to click buttons or tick check boxes for. 2 or 3 little data entry fields would do me, and would cover every eventuality.

I actually have a launcher matching your specifications. PM me if you want me to send it to you. You can also get it from Wraithchylde's site. (He's the retard who made the Sirens TC).

Go look through Newdooms Lost Sites index for it.

Little Faith said:

I actually have a launcher matching your specifications.

Close, but still more complex that I'm looking for (believe it or not). Although it is a nice little launcher, and around about the level of input I need from one. I'm sure I remember trying it at some point in the past, but I wouldn't really have needed a launcher then.

Since moving to Win XP recently, I find the more obscure long file names of the default directories where I tend to put my WADs for testing purposes make typing their names at the dos prompt a bit tedious, so a simple launcher with file browsing built in that is essentially still a command line is just what I need.

What doomer has done with his simple version really does cover everything I want from a launcher - a box for WADs with a browse button, a box for BEX/DEH again with browse and a box for anything else. End of requirements. No need for me to set any other options. Zdoom can pick my IWAD for me and I know all the parameters I need. I'm quicker typing them than clicking boxes. It's just these long paths that are killing me. I could stick my files elswhere I suppose, but if there is a tool to do the job, I won't need to.

If doomer does implement the suggestions/ fixes then it will be an ideal little launcher (for me at least).

BTW, your one also has a problem with spaces in file names. It didn't like

C:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\map01.WAD

but was happy with

"C:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\map01.WAD"

in the "wads to run" box.

You can also get it from Wraithchylde's site. (He's the retard who made the Sirens TC).

Thanks, that's where I got it. Are you in some way associated with Wraithchylde (or even - heaven forbid - might you be him)? I had actually been wondering quite recently where he had gone. I liked Sirens, thought it was a cool mod with some really nice graphics work and there were some interesting things going on using the Zdoom source too - putting in Maulotaur type ground hugging attacks and so on before these were properly supported by the main Zdoom program IIRC.

I am NOT Wraithchylde, I have no relations to him and I think his pin-up skins suck.

I simply took a stroll through the Lost Site to see if I could find anything interesting and I have used this little proggie since.

(Before I used a .bat that I edited constantly).

Little Faith said:

I am NOT Wraithchylde, I have no relations to him and I think his pin-up skins suck.

OK, my mistake. It's just when you said

I actually have a launcher matching your specifications.

I (wrongly) assumed you meant you had written it, rather than just having a copy. My bad.