Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
999cop

TA [MP map pack] collaboration - entries welcome

As I said in the previous thread of mine in WAD section, the project might have to shut down unless with participation of enthusiastic mappers like you. I figured I'd rather turn this into a community collaborative wad, which would be an easier method to compile an officla MP megawad, instead of ditching the original concept and work wastefully.

Technology Arena - Guidelines

Theme: This will be a community collaborative MP map pack. Story based on incident happened to the marine after Doom 2. Since this is going to be a MP map pack, level design does not have to be 100% realistic. As a matter of fact, our goal is not making it alike Counter-Strike or else, instead I'd rather want it to be made based on Quake 3's style. Level design can be as creative as you may. I'm hoping for forming a team with 10 members in total. Each person may most likely be responsible for 3 or 4 maps. This wouldn't be very hard, right? Just DM, as long as they are well-played and good looking. The project is planned to be released on Dec 10, 2003, (The 10th anniversary of Doom) therefore all entries are expected to be finished and turned in about a month earlier then we get things gathered together and prepared for its arrival.

Requirements:
Mappers:

• Map size - must be made in decent size for an appropriate purpose, such as small sized maps are usually good for 1vs1 duels, big maps are maybe good for 4-way FFA. BUT there is always exception, e.g. Dwango5 Map1, lots of ppl are in favor of 1vs1 on it
  • System - doom2.exe compatible only, so please test your maps carefully notice if there's any VPO(visplane overflow) errors, very common occur in Vanilla Doom with over-detailed maps
  • Quality - both in aesthetics & playability, speed is essential; tip: apply wallrunning in levels
  • Features - original themes or ideas, stunning atmosphere would be a good bonus
  • File size - clear the redundant stuff as you turn the wad in
  • Choice of editors - free
Here're some themes I'd suggest to you:
tech, industrial, hell-ish/gothic, imaginary(unrealistic), futuristic, & terrain.

Graphics/Texture designers are also needed, 1 or 2 might probably be enough. As long as you're capable of making nice looking stuff with Doom original pallete.

Edit: please state your name, email address, level and theme you're compiling.
Map1: Taken (999cop)
Map2: Taken (999cop)
Map3: Taken (999cop)
Map4 - 32: Available

In the end, all the pro-dm fanatical mappers are welcome, you may not necessarily have to work as a team. You know where to contact me, maybe through the forum (that is if arioch will not ban me in the next 2 weeks for no reasons at all), email: viocop@inbox.net, or irc @ irc.freenode.net - #zdeamon, #zdoom, or and #doomcon. Submissions start accepting...NOW

I'll try to give you two. If I can do more after that, I'll let you know.

erik alm offered 4-5. vulgar offered 2. keeping to the tradition of offering less maps, i'll offer one, as long as you won't need it for quite a while, heh. i'm a slow mapper and have lots to do.

sargebaldy said:

i'll offer one, as long as you won't need it for quite a while, heh. i'm a slow mapper and have lots to do.

:o
Speed-mappers beware. :)

Hey cop, I did a pretty good map01 look alike, but that is much bigger, and looks a lot better. Deathman would know what I'm talking about. The only problem is I made it for map01 (wtf), is there a way around that?

DooMBoy said:

Hey cop, I did a pretty good map01 look alike, but that is much bigger, and looks a lot better. Deathman would know what I'm talking about. The only problem is I made it for map01 (wtf), is there a way around that?

Are you saying you've made a map that is looking similar to map1 or you wanted to put in the wad as the first map? I'd like to see some screenshots of the level and experience its gameflow a bit first before making a decision whether taking that in, since I've already made a map sort of based on map1. Well if I will ever accept your submission, would it matter if I switch the order around?

All entrants and forum viewers please bear in mind that the intent of this thread is essentially in favor of spirit of the Doom oldschool-style deathmatch maps. As well it is important to keep up a correspondence with the submitters who will send in with their compliances in order to ensure the progress of the project.

The motive behind the idea of posting screenshots of current work is to exhibit the quality of the map, which also emphasize more attentions from around the forum. The idea of posting screenshots is receptive to a degree, as long as they won't lift a burden on those viewers who are on modem. Aside that, with evidence of the actual file and screenshots are recommended to be posted, alpha/beta pre-releases are always appreciated to be provided as usual under here, which allow critques and feedbacks committed easily if requested.

Submission will be tested whether it is qualified once it has been accepted. Be aware that map will be judged based on gameplay over aesthetics, game speed and other features are expected to be there. Since this is a collaborative project, coherent suggestions and opinions will definitely worth.

Note: all entrants require to state the theme of level you will be using in the level and gametype, which can be various(FFA or tourney), as long as you have made the final decision. If you may have questions about the arrangement, please come check with me through email, irc, or IM.

Imho, chaingun arena is quite decent as for the first attempt in your doom mapping career. The most important flaw of the map is that being extremely big. The next things are lacking of good architectural design and good gameflow and features. But I guess I could modify and improve it a bit when I have time

Well, I was just trying to make a lazy contribution. :) I can make other, better maps if I want. I'm getting a new 'puter soon I think, so I'll have a lot of time to make some quality stuff.

I'll get right to it sir. You'll have to contributions from me asap. :D

*EDIT* By the way, I grow tired of WA. Any recommendations? I need an editor that is powerful, fairly good interface and MUST allow for texture preview/listing.

999cop said:

Wintex or XWE is good for viewing the textures all at once.

Oh no, I'm not talking about sprite editors. I'm referring to map editors that allow for sprite preview and selection like WA has.

999cop said:

Are you saying you've made a map that is looking similar to map1 or you wanted to put in the wad as the first map? I'd like to see some screenshots of the level and experience its gameflow a bit first before making a decision whether taking that in, since I've already made a map sort of based on map1. Well if I will ever accept your submission, would it matter if I switch the order around?

I'm saying I made one that looks a lot like map01. I've sent you the level, you can judge for yourself if it's worthy or not. And lastly, no, it wouldn't matter to me if you changed the level's number around or not :)
I've checked extensively for VPOs and HOM and the like. Last night I got a HOM in central area of the level, but that was caused by over detailing (I just love detail). I fixed that soon enough. I'm sure it's now error free. :)

Sure, all submissions will be taken into consideration as long as they obtain quality of good gameplay. Please state your name, the theme of level, and gametype you are mapping for clearly.

Doomboy: I got your wad now, layout is looking good. Map is under examination right now. Feedback later.

Update:
Great news, Lee agrees to let me to use 2 maps out of Xfire series in TA. Big thanks owe to Lee Szymanski.

Map || Author || Theme || Gametype
    Tadm1 || 999cop || Techbase || 1vs1 recommended; FFA
    Tadm2 || 999cop || Techbase || Undecided
    Tadm3 || 999cop || Futuristic/Space || Undecided
    Tadm4 || Doomboy || Techbase || Unknown || Beta: http://zdaemon.com/~doomcon/ta/dbmap01.zip
    Tadm5 || Erik || Unknown || Unknown
    Tadm6 || Erik || Unknown || Unknown
    Tadm7 || Erik || Unknown || Unknown
    Tadm8 || Erik || Unknown || Unknown
    Tadm9 || Erik || Unknown || Unknown
    Tadm10 || Vulg@r || Unknown || Unknown
    Tadm11 || Vulg@r || Unknown || Unknown
    Tadm12 || Sargebaldy || Unknown || Unknown
    Tadm13 || Holy Avenger || Undecided (Tech/Gothic) || Unknown
    Tadm14 || Syzmanski || Techbase || 1vs1/FFA
    Tadm15 || Syzmanski || Techbase || 1vs1/FFA

Thanks cop for putting my level up, and for letting me be part of your DM megawad. I appreciate this :)

Okay, my level will be a Techbase, and FFA is recommended. I've started working on it, and I'd say it's turning out pretty good so far.

cool, thanks all for your participation in this project.

However, I sense an extremely heavy repetitiveness of techbase of level design here. Is there anyone interested to make something else besides tech or gothic? Hell, terrain, or fantasy would be nice to a degree.

Here's a couple screenshots of my level so far. They were taken from opposite corners of the most...complete room.

Screenshot 1
Screenshot 2

It's probably pretty difficult to make everything out, but it gives an idea of what it looks like.

Sarge: I am counting on it :]
Holy Avenger: it's nice seeing the map's been started constructing already, but it'd be nice to see bigger screens(640 x480 or above)than those. Let me know if you need help with hosting anything, either screens or betas.

Hey, I was wondering if I can get in on this project... I have plenty of maps made since my last project fell through when me team died... Plus I am always looking for reasons to make more maps so, I can help if you want?
My e-mail is StealthyIvan@aol.com