• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
cyber-menace

How do I make a proper Earthquake?

I have this:

Radius_Quake (9, 50, 100, 120, 5);

In my script. Everything else in the script works. What do I need to do to make a proper Earthquake? Are there any tutorials out there?

Do you have a mapspot or mapspots with a tag number 5? The Radius_Quake uses these as the focus for the earthquake. Also, if you are too far away from any of these mapspots, you won't see the earthquake effect. For the maximum earthquake effect, set the tremrad to 255:

This way, you won't need very many mapspots to cover the entire map. Also, it's typically not a good idea to use a damrad number other than 0:

Otherwise, the earthquake hurts the player, and can be annoying.

make sure you have a map spot with tag 5. Make sure it's a map spot. I can't tell you how many times I've placed path nodes or when I should have placed map spots or map spots when I wanted path nodes or invisible bridge things when I wanted camera patrol points. Just be sure to check the the thing is a map spot and it has tag 5 and it should work.

Ichor: making quakes hurt the player is useful if you want to have something explode (for instance, stand above or near the drain in my helms deep map when it explodes) or mimic stuff falling from above perhaps. Also setting the radius to 255 (or higher) will cause a global quake which isn't always what's wanted (I've never used a radius greater than 9 or so myself, since it's a radius of 64x64 blocks), but to each their own heh.

Believe it or not after some experimenting I figured it out on my own. I didn't know damrad hurt people though so that IS quite a usefull bit of information. That will correct that small little problem. Thanks A lot though the info you supplied helped too!

If I were you, which I'm not, I would go and download the Mass Mouth .wad. Its got some excellent examples of the zdoom features, provides an example of features (i.e. Earthquake), and its just a good file to waste some useless time playing. Go here >>>>

http://members.xoom.com/cybspage

If that link doesn't work, someone slap me...