Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
999cop

Unreal ][ review on Something Awful

I read that review a few days ago, quite negative I must say. Then again, it's Something Awful, what do you expect? :)

That review is funny because it's true. Oh, and I think that the jack in the box avatar is forever besmirched and no longer useable. And lastly, DooMBoy, you're silly.

I have only played Unreal II for an hour or so, but I think the review is being pretty harsh even for SA's standards. They're right when they criticize "gaming media" for not being critical at all towards games, but the faults of Unreal II are the same faults nearly all first-person shooters have today. The genre simply isn't fresh anymore - in essence Unreal II is the same kind of game as Doom or Quake, and flashy graphics alone can't save a style of game that has been milked for a decade.

But still:

About 2 years ago I was actually intent on buying this "game." Fortunately, that outburst of insanity was short-lived.

Vulg@r said:

And lastly, DooMBoy, you're silly.

[Big Gay Al voice] You're asking for a drive-by slapping pal![/Big Gay Al voice]

Unreal 2 is the Vrack 2 of games. Overhyped, overdumbed and lacking the fun of the first. HAH!

I'll probably buy it anyways due to brand loyalty. And if it sucks, I can use the resources for Doom projects, and play UT2k3. SC0RE!

I dunno about you, but I smell exaggeration. Then again, I haven't tried Unreal 2 myself so what do I know?

I wish Legend would release the Unreal II Demo anytime soon. Despite the disappointing reviews I would at least wanna give it a try.

That Something Awfull review is hilarious nevertheless.

There is NO WAY that the reviewer could make that stuff up. It's got to be true. I can't imagine how that article could be anything less than the complete truth.

It IS the complete truth, no doubt about it. I hope to see a similar review of a deserving Doom 3 once it's out, too.

The PC Gamer review said that the game is basicly a demo for the UT2 engine. Still, it got a 72%, which isn't too bad.

There isn't going to be a demo, but there is a movie. I got it on my PC Gamer CD.

I thought it was pretty damn good. God-damn pretty, quite difficult but not too difficult, varied, great set pieces, and plays really well. Shame about the ending.

Glen Dahlgren (Designer/producer for Legend):
we're going to be releasing a demo, especially targeted at those of you who want to 'try before you buy'. It should be a great benchmark to see how the game runs on your particular system.

I got that from a sticky post on the Infogrames Unreal II forum. It was posted on Feb 14, so the demo should be released some time soon. Probably after the patch that adresses some framerate issues.

Bah. It's not that bad (but I wouldn't pay full price for it).

Trasher][ said:
... And if it sucks, I can use the resources for Doom projects, and play UT2k3. SC0RE!

Now THAT is the right attitude!

I think they put more time in to the graphics then they did game play.
Just becouse a game has great grapichs dosent meen its a great game.

Lord FlatHead said:

I have only played Unreal II for an hour or so, but I think the review is being pretty harsh even for SA's standards. They're right when they criticize "gaming media" for not being critical at all towards games, but the faults of Unreal II are the same faults nearly all first-person shooters have today. The genre simply isn't fresh anymore - in essence Unreal II is the same kind of game as Doom or Quake, and flashy graphics alone can't save a style of game that has been milked for a decade.

you know, you'd think the critzism "FPS nowdays are all the same" would be invalid on a website about a 10 year old FPS. but hey, what do I know?

not that this statment isn't true. I personaly think it's worth the 4 or so hour I'd would take to finish it, but it is NOT worth the $90 price tag.

Only the environmental graphics are good, the character design and models suck as hell, including Anya(I assume that's her name).

(edit): Although Legend/Epic claimed that they have used a lot more polys than Doom 3 to create "better" models, well as you can see, Carmack's bump mapping techniques turn out to be more sufficient than ever.