Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dima

DOOM III 90% complete?!

I just read on a gaming side i visit frequently that Todd Hollenshead, id's CEO appeared on stage during GDC (Game Developers Conference) and stated clearly that DOOM III is 90% complete!

It might sound weird at first, a game of such calibre, shrouded in so much hype is already upon us... but, that appears to be the way things are!

I was a bit sceptical when Carmack said they wanted to finish the game before E3 and was actually quite sure that even if they do manage to meet their suggested timeframe, a release date of June-July is more likely and there is always a possibility for further postponing the release of course...

If the report is indeed correct, sometime after E3, we shall all be in heaven (can't say the same thing about our pc's! :)

holy FUCK oh god yes i love you dima.... how about a link!?
jesus i gotta get my computer ready!

Great. Glad to hear it isn't going to be a second Duke Nukem Forever.

Dima said:

we shall all be in heaven

Keep thinking like that and you'll only be disappointed.

this was just a part of an interview and i really fear this "90%-statement" was taken out of the whole context.
I first read the german version of this tiny interview a few days ago on gamestar.de. after all it seems ToddH just said that the LAST 10% of a (= any/doom3/who knows) project take the same amount of effort like the initial 90% took. There was no clear word about doom3 finished 90% - and if its done 90% then his words mean that the last 10% will take lots of further time.

:-(

when its 100% done (game content wise) then the tweaking comes, and that takes a lot of time, removing bugs etc

I dont hope he was referring to somebody's law:

80 % of the content is created in 20 % of the time and the last
20 % of the content will take 80 % of the time.

And Dima, still posting here?! Allright!

Sweet.....but the production time already, damn thats gunna be one looong ass 10%.

Joy. :)

EVIL said:

when its 100% done (game content wise) then the tweaking comes, and that takes a lot of time, removing bugs etc

Yeah, which probably means we still have to wait until summer.

Great news. Hollenshed is talking about Doom.

Okay, okay, (overload)

The sun has started shining here in Ireland. Getting some good weather, people are in better spirits, the scantily clad women have come out of the woodwork and today I hear this news. God its so good.

Not long now folks.

Don't know about you guys but Christmas seems like a week or two ago.
If we wait the same amount of time we will be in June.

Yay

I'm not impressed.

10% is still waiting to be done and the time this title has been in the works so far, I'm going to assume that the last 10% are going to require lots of work.

I dunno about you, but my estimate for a release lies with a late 2003 release, 'cause 10% may turn out to be a lot more than people think.

Another issue is that such statements can never be trusted. Back in winter 2000, Graymatter announced that RtCW was 60% complete (they hadn't been working much more than a year on it by then, so this promised a late 2000 release) - people would have to wait until december 2001 before they released it and many things that previews claimed was in the earlier builds of the game wasn't there in the final release, so naturally, people could assume that they had suddenly changed the game drastically, having to throw out a lot and change a lot which delayed the release considerably.

I think that id is a little more reliable however, but I'm still doubting that we'll see it anytime soon ('soon' being within the next five months).

geh.. i can't see how anyone really expects doom3 to feel like a sequel to doom at all.. id has two artists and a programmer left from the old doom days.. which means they have the skill to make doom3 look really pretty and be advanced. but have you seen their current design staff? heh, you could easily pull a better team out of the classic doom community.

sargebaldy said:

geh.. i can't see how anyone really expects doom3 to feel like a sequel to doom at all.. id has two artists and a programmer left from the old doom days.. which means they have the skill to make doom3 look really pretty and be advanced. but have you seen their current design staff? heh, you could easily pull a better team out of the classic doom community.

of course, that would mean that i'd have to pull out of your mom first.

It isn't 90%. I've been able to calculate a more accurate number through inverse dimensional conjecture analysis of transformations of anomalistic pseudoinfinite Schloer-Calabi fields in hyperbolic space representations of complex configurations of special-case von Staudt-Clausen integrals differentialized against segmentarily orthogonal Chebyshev polynomials. The answer is 89.3130620049(...)%, though a transcendental number so I can't provide an entirely accurate representation at this moment.

dsm said in a now pretty dead post:
All it takes to ruin a perfectly all right thread is another AndrewB outburst.

Dunno, delete posts or close thread...?

Delete post this is aveary imprtant topic.

Demons Hand said:

Yes I second that

Demons Hand said:

Done, now get back on topic please.

Fredrik said:

It isn't 90%. I've been able to calculate a more accurate number through inverse dimensional conjecture analysis of transformations of anomalistic pseudoinfinite Schloer-Calabi fields in hyperbolic space representations of complex configurations of special-case von Staudt-Clausen integrals differentialized against segmentarily orthogonal Chebyshev polynomials.

Jesus Christ, I'd have run outta material at "differentialized"

Fredrik said:

The answer is 89.3130620049(...)%, though a transcendental number so I can't provide an entirely accurate representation at this moment.

So what ur telling us is that the answer is a fraction that translates into a non-terminating, repeating decimal and therefore is inaccurate? Why the fuck don't you just write the fraction then? Don't they teach geometry to kids anymore and at least make them memorize it, even if you don't learn a damned thing in the school system I'm sure your teacher hit u with a yarkstick enough times that you remember that fractions are more accurate than decimals.

By the way, I resent any scientific post(or a post that you intend to look scientific) that is that long without including the words "logarithmic" and "fuck". Also, I'd have said "pseudoinfintesimal" instead of "pseudoinfinite", since the two are opposites and there's no way u'd come out with a number less than 20-googleplexes if u indeed used "pseudoinfinite" processing in your calculations. I'd have killed myself for even thinking the term "special-case". And "integers" is gramatically correct, not "integrals". I'm too hung over to find more mistakes.

Overall, even if u were only joking and just found all those words in the dictionary and thought they looked cool, it's still a masterful post, probably better than 89.3130620049(...)% of the posts I've seen since I started coming here, simply because you could put those all together in a way that at least sounds like it COULD make sense to someone. And even I don't have the damned fraction because I don't know what the fucking variables are that you used to come up with that answer.

By the way, I said in the thread about the Doom novels in the General Classic Doom forum, that you should mark your sarcasm, but if anyone can't understand that I was just more sarcastic in this post than many of you will be in your entire lifetime, then your fucking brainpower can accurately be calculated by finding the inverse-logarithm of the pseudoinfintesimal power of the transcendient square root of pi after you divide it by the circumference around the smallest god damned piece of shit that your fucking lazy-ass can find within the next 20 fucking minutes, or something to that effect, I'm going to bed. This paragraph was, of, course, full of even more sarcasm, and edited a number of fucking times for the highest possible entertainment value. Every time I read it, and was finished being amazed that I hadn't died from laugning, I found something else to put it in, so this time I'm not reading it, and all of my sarcasm IS marked. However, whether you can understand it or not is variable.

Sorry for the linguistic mistakes, English isn't my first language (never studied maths in it). Anyway, the number is irrational and transcendental and can't be expressed as a simple fraction. I used n-dimensional graph reduction to approximate the number to ten decimal places, but to get an explicit function in the form of a summation or a continued fraction, I'll have to solve an annoying modular convergence in my current set of elliptic generatrices first, which might take a while (I'm new to the particular area of mathematics).

Wait, damn, looks like id just made some progress. I'll have to start over.

do you ever think they're lying to us about not being done, or being really close to done? like mebbe the game is 100% complete, but they're not telling? so they can surprise the piss out of us?

The_Aeromaster said
the_aeromaster's post

well said, though i'm going have to read that over a few more times to actually understand what the fuck you were saying.

I agre with alot of people.Just bacouse its 90 persent complest dosent meen that the bugs are worked out. I hope ID is being veary anul about bugs. I dont want to download patch after patch so there are no bugs. Thats why I stoped playinh H-L.

what was the last html comment thingie, cuz since it came up its just got this one:FSYMANTJFJTSHBZSSGXXTGGDTBLLSY

is that old or new