Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sweet Prince

Best new card for Win98?

hi there everybody reading this :)

i have a crappy GeForce 4 MX (came with the PC) and im thinking of buying a better one, the thing is, i'll be dual booting XP and Win 98, and i heard that the ATI 9700 dosnt work with 98... ? so will 98 just not see it and i'll have to play System Shock 2 and Kingpin and Unreal (all dont like XP) in software mode? but a GeForce 4 says its ok for Win 98.

i dont want to spend a lot of $$ so a 4200 that i have my eye on is the only thing i can really get right now anyway, but more info would be great. i just dont have much info on/about this prob and if it would be worth saving up for a better GF or ATI card.

I have a Geforce4 Ti4600 -- there are drivers for it for 98, but I think it is a crapshoot whether it works with your motherboard or not.
I got lucky. :)

i'd like to try the Radeon but im living in France right now and all they have are a Geforce 4 Ti 4200 with 64mb for 200€ think like $200. saw it 2 months ago, and just now the 128MB ver is out for 260€ and just like this week the ATI Radeon All-In-Wonder 9000 Pro came out for 290€

and from what i've seen the 4200 is about as good if not better then a 9000 Pro... so if i get a card other then what i just said it would have to be mail order or off Ebay so i REALLY need to know what im getting and if it will work with 98.. and any ideas for me to think about, really anything that could help :)

Opulent said:

I have a Geforce4 Ti4600 ... but I think it is a crapshoot whether it works with your motherboard or not.

WTF? Care to explain? GF4 Ti should work with every motherboard with an AGP slot...

you're talking about technology that was designed after windows95 was made.
to make an extreme example: jump your new pentium4 system with windows3.11 and try to use firewire or USB...
Microsoft and even Nvidia weren't sure the card would run on 98se when I researched my new pc.
drivers give instruction sets to the card, not the AGP interface... and all of that functions through your motherboard chipset controllers.
that is why it depends upon what motherboard you have, whether or not a late model graphics card(with 98se drivers) will work with win98se.
but I'm sure most of you have XP, so it doesn't make a difference at all.

so, i can get a Radeon and be sure 98 wont see it, or get a GeForce and have a crapshoot?.. and may be stuck playing System Shock 2 and Kingpin and Unreal in software mode anyway?

well, i know a crappy GeForce 4 MX is about at good as a GF 2 but if 98 sees it then can i be more sure that if i buy a GeForce 4 TI it'll work?

what do all you dual booters do?

I've got a Radeon 9700 and Windows '98, and everything works fine (or at least did before my computer started refusing to boot up, but that's a different matter)

Gf4 ti is a realy good card.Alot of people are useing them.I havent test runed the new Gforce card yet. If its any good I might just treade in my raidon pro for one.Im running w98 and my radion has never had a porblem.

AirRaid said:

I've used my GF4 Ti 4400 on 98se with no problems, BTW.

great to hear...
the only way to fly, IMHO.

btw, if anyone installs a GeforceFX or something later on 98se, I'd be very interested in the results!

OMG, im crying! you guyd dont know how happy that makes me! LOL heheh just kidding but no, thats great to hear :D

tho i dont think i can get a Radeon 9700 (tho that would be my dream) at least a good GF4 Ti would help Quake 3 and MOH:AA and totally blow away Unreal and Kingpin hehehe thanks a lot for your help :D

SP

ATI Radeon 9700 PRO works with Windows 98! At least ATI has drivers for Windows 98:
http://mirror.ati.com/support/drivers/win98/radeonnowdm-98.html?cboOS=Windows+98&cboProducts=RADEON+9700+PRO&eula=&choice=agree&cmdNext=Next

See the supported OS' and VGAs here:
http://mirror.ati.com/support/driver.html

I haven't checked about "Powered By ATI" products yet, but I think they all support Windows 98

ok, not that anyone cares, but i installed Win98 and still have my GeForce 4 MX and i installed the NVIDIA Detonator Drivers for 98 and it works great... so yeah i know a MX is like a GF2 but i have hope... i'll be installing xp today trying to get it to see my old master dive as the slave.

BTW on this motherboard the sound card is ON-board and 98 only knows PCI sound cards, so i had a BIG prob (i wanted 98 cos xp could only play the DOS games with NO SOUND) but i found a fix at 3:00AM last night :)

yay me, ok, i'm going! geez :)
SP

I get 60fps out of it in D3D though, patched up. They gave it the UT d3d renderer I believe.

Strange, I tried downloading Unreal patch 1.26 final, and it's definitely not as fast as UT. It's quite choppy on D3D. I don't know if I had the right patch or what...

[noob]plonker said:
why dont you upgrade os to like win me , win 2k or xp?

because we like to play DOOM too. :)