Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Doomworld Turns Five

Look, it's that damn cake again. We will never be rid of that thing. Anyways, five years ago on March 13, 1998, Doomworld first opened its doors to the public, proclaiming itself as the definitive source for Doom news, information, and development. That's five long years of Doom news, projects, contests, events, and on and on and on. That's right, we were Doom webpageing back before it was cool! Total old school!

Since I'm no longer running Doomworld I didn't do any of my normal antics like make a "5 Years of Doomworld" webpage or something. And all these new staffers around here, save Mordeth, don't even remember those heady days of yore, back before forums and comment threads and even simple things like news updating scripts and databases. We did everything by hand and liked it, damnit!

But anyways, it just happens that I have something new to show for this year's anniversary. It's not a new design, like we've had on two birthdays in the past. This time, I've cooked up a new resource for you guys: the
Doomworld /idgames database
A pet project of mine for a while, the Doomworld /idgames database is just what it sounds like: a resource of all the files on /idgames, browsable of course, but also searchable by title, date, author, description, and so on and so forth. Over 11,000 WADs, each with fully catalogued info, links to all the download mirrors, as well as built-in WAD ratings and reviews for kicks. The Doomworld /idgames database should be your one-stop source for finding all the Doom levels you'll ever want. Plus I made it, damnit! So check out the Doomworld /idgames database and find something you might have missed.

i wanna have your baby ling..you kick ass..DOOMWORLD OWNZ MEE...FUCK IT I LOVE YOU ALL YOU ALL KICK ASS DOOMERS ROCK.. DOOMWORLD IS FOREVER...HAPPY BDAY TO ALL

mewse said:

i dont think "webpageing" is a word

I don't think "i dont think 'webpageing' is a word" is a complete sentence.

sargebaldy said:

I don't think "i dont think 'webpageing' is a word" is a complete sentence.

yeah but you didnt think i was fucking your mom either

Happy birthday DW! :)

And the idgames page is cool too, already used/using it. :)

Happy birthday to us, happy birthday to us!
Happy birthday to u-us!
Happy birthday to us!

Oh, and I turned 30 last week. Whee!

Doomworld has a birthday, Linguica gives us a present. Sounds good to me. Hmm, maybe Fraggle should stop paying to have Doomsearch.com registered?

Nifty database. I had seen the search thingy but I didn't know it was coming with this. Great!

The Doomworld /idgames database is a great idea, it was much needed. Hats off to you for implementing it, you did an excellent job. One small thing that you may consider changing is passing the value of the Search dropdown to the next page. (Right now, after "mong", it goes back to the first entry, FileName.) And perhaps you can mention the total entries in the database on the info page as statistics.

I searched for files which have been edited with XWE. 36 out of the 11887! Wow, I'm getting recognition. See Linguica, you made a good decision when you decided to host XWE on DoomWorld ;-)

Ultraviolet said:
Doomworld has a birthday, Linguica gives us a present. Sounds good to me. Hmm, maybe Fraggle should stop paying to have Doomsearch.com registered?

I pay for this domain name.

Linguica said:

This time, I've cooked up a new resource for you guys...

Very nice. Must have taken quite a bit of work.

That /idgames database is the most useful thing (to me anyway) I've seen on the internet. :) Thanks Linguica.

Ultimate DooMer said:

Are there plans to put ratings on some more of the wads?

Huh? Everyone can rate them, so I guess there's quite a lot of plans to do that.

Too bad I don't like that cake. I think some of you put your own sperm in it. Anyway, happy birthday Woomdorld.

Fredrik said:

It's laid out retardedly, it's not really useful, and it looks ugly. Stupid.

Don't use it, then ;)

Fredrik said:

Of course, since it doesn't have Vrack in the header at the top of the page, it would be. Unappreciative bastard.

BTW, 5th birthday being for the Doomworld is being very nice yes yes yes w00t!!!!

Fredrik said:

There you go, talking about your level designs again.:)

Happy birthday once again to what must be my and many others' favourite website.

The word "useful" does not do this idgames database justice. The ability to search those thousands of textfiles will prove invaluable to many. Indeed, every time I've been looking for certain maps I've used the beta version, since I heard about it on these forums a couple of months ago.

We can only hope its increased profile does not result in too much load being placed upon the site server...

If I might make a small criticism, its theme doesn't match the rest of Doomworld. Oh, and it sadly obsoletes Doomsearch which in its day was ridiculously useful too:)

Nevertheless, congratulations to all:)

DooMBoy said:

Of course, since it doesn't have Vrack in the header at the top of the page, it would be. Unappreciative bastard.

Umm why don't you read Russell's post before you bash people for being self-critical the next time. Thank you.

By the way, the search function at SUNET is still active.

Fredrik said:

By the way, the search function at SUNET is still active.

I searched for "Fredrik" in the "Games" section and it gave me 0 results...