Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Gherkin

ZDoom 2.0.42 and latest ZDoomGL differences

I recently added ZDoom support to Doom Connector and it would be very helpfull if any of you can point out the exact differences between the latest ZDoom and latest ZDoomGL, so that I can just copy 'n' modify ZDoom support to ZDoomGL support.

Ofcourse I know about the video, heh :) but im mainly interested in command line parameters and cvars here. So speak up, whats the difference? Can I use the same cmd args? Are the dmflags the same?

Thanks!

Hmm, for the most part they should be pretty much exactly the same (so a copy/paste would probably work). I haven't added any extra command line switches in there. I guess the big thing right now is ZDoomGL 0.73 isn't based on the 2.0.42 code (0.74 will be, though). The main extra cvars are gl_vid_bitdepth (color/depth buffer depth), vid_renderer (software/OpenGL renderer) and gl_vid_refresh (refresh rate, set it to 0 to let ZDoomGL pick for you). But here's a complete list of ZDoomGL-specific cvars (from zdoomgl.txt):

gl_clear [0/1][0] - controls whether or not to clear the framebuffer after each frame. Off by default.
gl_vid_bitdepth [16/32][16] - controls the colordepth for OpenGL. No more changing the config file anytime you want to switch between ZDoom and ZDoomGL!
gl_vid_stencilbits [0/8][0] - controls the usage of the stencil buffer.
gl_vid_refresh [0..150+][0] - force a specific refresh rate for fullscreen mode, or use 0 to let ZDoomGL choose the refresh rate for you (the highest Windows reports is available)
gl_wireframe [0/1][0] - toggle between wireframe rendering and solid rendering. Handy for debugging maps.
gl_depthfog [0/1][1] - toggles depth-queued fog on and off. Some older cards have problems with OpenGL fog, so if it looks bad, turn it off.
gl_depthfog_multiplier [0..1.0+][0.6] - controls the depthfog falloff. 0.0 would be no fog, 1.0 is the full calculated density (and 2.0 would be twice the density). Tweak this until you find the range you like best.
gl_texture_mode [-string-][GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR] - controls filtering/mipmapping for the textures. Valid values are "GL_NEAREST", "GL_LINEAR", "GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_NEAREST", "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_NEAREST", "GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_LINEAR", and "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR".
gl_texture_anisotropic [0/1][0] - toggles anisotropic texturing on/off if your video card supports it
gl_texture_anisotropy_degree [1.0..2.0][1.0] - controls the degree of the anisotropic filter (2.0 for best results, 1.0 for GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR results).
gl_texture_color_multiplier [0..2.0+][1.0] - controls the contrast of the textures (seperate from the gamma control).
gl_texture_format [-string-][GL_RGB5_A1] - controls internal texture format. Valid values are "GL_RGBA2", "GL_RGBA4", "GL_RGBA8" (best quality), "GL_RGB5_A1" (default), "GL_LUMINANCE", "GL_ALPHA", "GL_INTENSITY", and "GL_S3TC".
gl_texture_usehires [0/1][1] - toggles use of hires textures
gl_texture [0/1][1] - toggles texturing on/off
gl_billboard_mode [1/2][2] - controls the billboarding of sprites. 2 is aligned in x/y axis and 1 is aligned only in the y axis.
gl_line_smooth [0/1][1] - controls line antialiasing. 1 is on, 0 is off.
gl_sky_detail [1..10+][5] - sky detail. Higher numbers increase detail in sky. Between 5 and 10 gives nice results.
gl_show_frameinfo [0/1][0] - toggles polycount for each frame. Sprites are not counted right now.
gl_show_walltype [0/1][0] - toggles whether or not to show the seperate components of walls (top/mid/bottom).
gl_particles_additive [0/1][1] - toggles whether or not particles are rendered with additive blending.
gl_sprite_clip_to_floor [0/1][1] - toggles whether or not to adjust the sprite height before offsets are added to the floor (so it doesn't clip into the floor).
gl_texture_convfilter [-string-][0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0] - sets the convolution kernel for texture processing... See readmegl.txt
gl_texture_convadjust [0..256][0] - sets the post convolution pixel adjustment... See readmegl.txt
gl_weapon [0/1][1] - toggles player weapon on/off
gl_draw_sky [0/1][1] - toggles sky on/off
gl_draw_decals [0/1][1] - toggles decals on/off
gl_clip_nearclip [0..1+][0.01] - sets the distance to the near clipping plane
gl_clip_farclip [0..1+][1000.0] - sets the distance to the far clipping plane
vid_renderer [0/1][0] - 0 is software (zdoom) rendering, 1 is opengl (zdoomgl) rendering.
vid_restart - console command, restarts current renderer (useful for switching bitdepths mid-game)

If video is covered by the in-game menu, its better to stick to that. Do you have a listing of dmflags, dmflags2 and (if at all) compatflags please? And when is ZDoomGL 0.74 to be expected to release?

All the dmflags/2/compatflags should be exactly the same (I didn't change any of that stuff, either).

And 0.74 should be "soon", I think.

Cool, then its almost identical to ZDoom support.
ZDoomGL support has been added to Doom Connector, go play online and have fun ;)

Cool stuff :) Heh, yeah, it should be identical except for the video settings.