Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Wuzz_Wombat

Mega Wad- or at least a good amount of levels...

Hey, I'm new here, but have played Doom for quite sometime. I've made 1 wad (unreleased) and recently made a deathmatch wad, I'll probably release that after I adjust one wall to get the texture to fit on it right.

Anyways, I'm interested in making a Mega wad... or at least several levels that run one after the other, but I'm not sure exactly how...
duh, remake 32 levels. Thats not what I mean, I use Wadauthor and I'm not sure how to package all the wads together into one file and how to make one of my new levels play after you beat one of the other levels I made- like New Entryway goes into New Underhalls. Anyone know how?

I'm at school right now. If nobody is exactly sure, I guess I'll have to consult the help files for Wadauthor... I hate doing that though, so I decided to come here instead- top choice for Doomers.

This belongs in the editing forum.

Besides, try to aim for something like 6 or 11 levels to start with. Otherwise you might start to make boring "filler" levels when your inspiration runs out.

For merging various pwad files into one big megawad file, you may want to try out Wintex.

Yeah, wintex 4.7 should do the trick (i think it needs vbrun300.dll to work if i recall correctly. I know doomcad does).

Or you could simply use another level editor.

Oh and a lil tip on creating megawads. Play around with the ideas for the megawad as you go along, that way it can be more creative and you won't get bored.

Wuzz_Wombat said:

I use Wadauthor and I'm not sure how to package all the wads together into one file and how to make one of my new levels play after you beat one of the other levels I made....

WadAuthor does not have what is known as "lump management" capability. In other words, you can't add or delete maps from your wad. To do that, use WinTex, as people suggest. Other good alternatives are XWE and DeepSea

Little Faith said:

This belongs in the editing forum.

LOL...

Besides, try to aim for something like 6 or 11 levels to start with. Otherwise you might start to make boring "filler" levels when your inspiration runs out.

I'm doing the same thing he's doing, with my Tower of WAR wad. All you need is a good plot to work off of, like the backbone of the game. You design level transitions with the plot in mind.

Wuzz_Wombat said:
I use Wadauthor and I'm not sure how to package all the wads together into one file and how to make one of my new levels play after you beat one of the other levels I made....

Wintex is definitely the way to go. I was in the exact same situation about two months ago, and I found that WadAuthor and Wintex make a great pair. WadAuthor for the levels, Wintex for everything else.

Here's how you make another level: first open Wintex and load your wad. Select "Map01," go to "guru only," (don't worry, that title is very misleading; even I can do it), and click rename entry. Name it Map02, or whatever you need. Then, select "Map02" and all the sub-entries and click "copy entries" on the edit menu. Now rename the "Map02" entry to "Map01." Finally, go to "paste entries." You have a complete Map02 entry group in there now. It will be an exact copy of Map01, though, so you have to clear everything in WadAuthor before continuing.

One important thing: NEVER open the wad in both editors at once!! Try to work in both at once, and your wad will become FUBAR. I've seen several ways this happened, but the two most common are:
In WadAuthor, the linedefs are all scattered in random directions radiating from the map's center.
In Wintex, the entries are all screwed up. You see entries that can't possibly exist, and also blank entries.
In either case, you're basically screwed. ALWAYS save a backup!

netnomad312 said:

first open Wintex and load your wad. Select "Map01," go to "guru only," (don't worry, that title is very misleading; even I can do it), and click rename entry. Name it Map02, or whatever you need. Then, select "Map02" and all the sub-entries and click "copy entries" on the edit menu. Now rename the "Map02" entry to "Map01." Finally, go to "paste entries." You have a complete Map02 entry group in there now. It will be an exact copy of Map01, though, so you have to clear everything in WadAuthor before continuing.

And if you stand on one leg, touching your nose with your big toe and lick your own armpit whilst balancing a lemon on the pointy end of a pool cue, which is itself supported only by your ear then you can make Wintex do all sorts of things.

I have never understood why people say that editor is easy and then proceed to give a convoluted series of steps and tricks needed to fool it into doing what you want and what it should be able to in the first place, simply because it can't actually do it natively. Virtually everything people describe in Wintex involves a series of obscure steps. What is wrong with just being able to save a new map into an existing WAD instead of all that bizare trickery?

And saving a non standard lump (eg mp3) to a file, that’s another laugh. Having to fool Wintex it is actually a colormap or something, balls! Why can't it just accept it? OK so maybe its an old program that first came out when people didn't do that stuff - but much of what it can't do has been needed for years, and the prog has been updated a few times in recent years. And now there are better alternatives but people persist in telling me Wintex is easy, and then back it up with a set of instructions so complex it would make a tai chi master's head spin.

Wintex is clumsy, obscure, inefficient, misleading, poorly laid out with ambiguous menu names and (IMO) downright ugly too. Quite why anyone uses it is beyond me. Quite how anyone can use it is beyond me DeePsea or XWE – both far better.

Thanks for the help, I'll try out the other editors ya'll mentioned.

So far I've sketched out concepts for all the levels up to Dead Simple- but there are alot more from there, so yeah I'll take it easy. I've got the entryway completed- it sticks to the orignal one, in the fact that its short... heh

I thought there was a way to replace a level, instead of making each one replace level one, I saw it in the help thing- is it just me,or does that help kinda suck? It shows you the crap, but doesn't tell you where you find it from the toolbars or menus...

Wuzz_Wombat said:

I thought there was a way to replace a level, instead of making each one replace level one, I saw it in the help thing

I assume you're referring to WadAuthor. If you want your level to have a map number other than Map01, right-click your mouse in a void space (e.g., outside your map boundary), select Map Name from the menu, then insert your mission number.

.... is it just me,or does that help kinda suck? It shows you the crap, but doesn't tell you where you find it from the toolbars or menus...

Some of the basic concepts are covered in the Tutorials. After you've read them the use of menus and toolbars becomes a lot easier.

yeah, I found out about the map name thing right after I posted that basicly...

Thanks for the help... now comes the tricky part... getting the new editors up the stairs onto my computer... might take a few floppies... compromises, compromises...

Anyways, I worked and finished the *new* underhalls today. Well, not really, I need to give 'em the right textures, but, gettin' there. MaybeI'll release those two and show them sometime? They're kinda speedmapped, so they're not real detailed, and both are short. Not too much of a problem though...

Where is wadcat at? I don't think I've heard about that.

I've finished two maps, just tweaking textures, onto the new gauntlet now. I've been playing through the Doom 2 levels to see how they do things. Man, the suburbs is such a cool level.

Why do people find this stuff difficult - in Wintex you just click and highlight both wads and click on Join Pwads - voila - joined.
???????????????????
wtf is so hard about that?

*Looks slyly at Enjay* Well apparently you also have to stand on one leg, touching your nose with your big toe and lick your own armpit whilst balancing a lemon on the pointy end of a pool cue, which is itself supported only by your ear...

Honestly... if I can understand Wintex, it's gotta be pretty easy.