Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Terrcraft

Quake II Remastered

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, D4NUK1 said:

 I heard on the Livestream that many of this maps are done by workers on Machinegsmes like sort of a hobby, a QuakeJam Maps and they are mostly bettewn the workers that take theirs time to map.on trechbroom.

 

Many of this workers get to know about the remaster and sure enough they have something to show and use it. I'm pretty sure they get the information a lot sooner that other's Media because That's how they work.

It sucks that they are working on an Indiana Jones game that nobody has been asking for instead of a fully-fledged Quake II/IV sequel.

 

They already have plenty of experience at making gritty first-person shooters that involve fighting robots and cyborgs. 

 

1 hour ago, Terrcraft said:

devs say psx is coming later and here is a screenshot.

Sweet! Glad to see others being proven wrong in that respect after all. The Playstation 1 version was my very first experience with Quake II and it made a huge impression on me back then, so it is going to be nice to be able to relive those memories! :P

Edited by Rudolph

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

It sucks that they are working on an Indiana Jones game that nobody has been asking for

If everyone thought this way then we would have no new games other than tired sequels. Come on now. Not many people are asking for a new Strogg Quake game either, from what I hear most people who are hoping for a Quake 5 want a Quake 1 sequel. Personally I'd love to see Quake 5 include elements from both, linking together the worlds of Shub Niggurath Quake and Strogg Quake and explaining how the former progressed into the latter, maybe even a new force altogether.

1 hour ago, Edward850 said:

If the host leaves or just straight up sucks at hosting (don't host on WiFi, for example), your connection will drop as there's nothing to fall back on (nor is falling back even possible, Quake2's netcode is specfically designed in a way that makes host migration impossible).

I suppose I should wait for people to launch dedicated servers (as they did with Q1 enhanced) then. Thanks for the response and your hard work on this awesome game!

Edited by Individualised

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

It sucks that they are working on an Indiana Jones game that nobody has been asking for instead of a fully-fledged Quake II/IV sequel.

call of the machine is basically the end of the Strogg story. 

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, Individualised said:

If everyone thought this way then we would have no new games other than tired sequels.

What the hell are you talking about?

 

Indiana Jones is definitely not what I would call a new and original IP. It has had its share of video games throughout the 90s and the 2000s, but most of them were not very good and the IP is way past its prime now. I am actually surprised they even bothered making a fifth movie...

 

1 minute ago, Terrcraft said:

call of the machine is basically the end of the Strogg story. 

It cannot be, since the story is continued in Quake IV, which ends on a cliffhanger.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Rudolph said:

Indiana Jones is definitely not what I would call a new and original IP. It has had its share of video games throughout the 90s and the 2000s, but most of them were not very good and the IP is way past its prime now. I am actually surprised they even bothered making a fifth movie at this point...

That doesn't mean the game they're working on will be bad though.

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Individualised said:

That doesn't mean the game they're working on will be bad though.

Never said it will.

 

I just said I wish they could be working on a Strogg game instead, since this is something that people have been actually asking for.

Share this post


Link to post
35 minutes ago, Individualised said:

I hear most people who are hoping for a Quake 5 want a Quake 1 sequel.

Yeh, I'm one of the people who want's another Lovecraftian Quake instead of another Alien TechnoHell Quake.

:P

Share this post


Link to post
51 minutes ago, Individualised said:

That doesn't mean the game they're working on will be bad though.

 

Don't waste time talking to Rudolph, he's not open to reason. By "nobody asked for" he basically is saying he doesn't want it, and he's arrogantly projecting that to everyone else. In spite of the less than stellar reception of the last two movies, it is still a very beloved IP and the subject matter is perfect for someone to make a good game out of.

 

23 minutes ago, Herr Dethnout said:

Yeh, I'm one of the people who want's another Lovecraftian Quake instead of another Alien TechnoHell Quake.

 

As do I. Quake II is fine, I like it a lot, but I think the original game holds more untapped potential for expansion.

Share this post


Link to post

Why does the Quake II remaster have a hit marker in the crosshair? Boomer shooters already HAVE at hit maker: BLOOD!

Also the Berserker new jump attack's got hands 0_0

Share this post


Link to post

Guess it shouldn't be too hard to link Quake 1 and 2/4.

 

Strogg are from outer Space, the Quake 1 Stuff from another Dimension.

They could be linked or just kept separate, i would like the later and just have it "Starcraft", three Parties at War.

Could be also made into an interesting Feature of evolved Infighting.

 

And i hope for not too much Lore, they messed up Eternal in that.

Share this post


Link to post

Funnily enough my only nitpick about this utterly fantastic release is the HUD/medkit recolor and not for the reason you'd think either.
 

Spoiler

It should be blue, it was blue in the console versions! That said the green does pair well with other UI elements, most of which were already green.

 

Share this post


Link to post

watched a friend play it for a little bit today (currently broke, and previously "i have 3 copies of this on compact disc, why should i ever need to buy it digitally") the motion blur absolutely rules, the only good implementation of that i've *ever* seen. looks straight out of a fragmovie.

would love to see a version of action quake 2 easily delivered to the masses through this one day <3

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Terrcraft said:

devs say psx is coming later and here is a screenshot.
f0Z4qqe.png
2088092441_Screenshot2023-08-10193242.png.63df62e1fe27746489b9e70511a572b8.png

Found a little more info on this on the Quake Mapping Discord. Long story short, it's not planned to be an official part of the remaster, it's just a personal project by someone who worked on it. It's apparently finished, but no word on a release date or whatever.

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, Kinsie said:

Long story short, it's not planned to be an official part of the remaster

One possible reason why they might not want to include it officially is for branding purposes - they seem to be wary of mentioning specific console brands (using "64" is the closest they've gotten) in the past. Quake 1 Enhanced briefly refers to Saturn Quake in it's description for the Quake 64 addon and it just calls it the Saturn a "32-bit console", and the Nintendo 64 is not even referred to at all. Same thing here, the id Vault refers to "the console version" of Quake 2 and doesn't specify which one.

 

There's not really a good name they can use for PSX Quake 2 that would be easily recognisable other than PSX Quake 2. I think this is part of the reason why PSX (Final) Doom hasn't been re-released either.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Captain red pants said:

Why does the Quake II remaster have a hit marker in the crosshair? Boomer shooters already HAVE at hit maker: BLOOD!

Also the Berserker new jump attack's got hands 0_0

 

i thought the hitmarker was kinda weird but it grew on me  

Share this post


Link to post

Oh wow, this has so much content for a remaster. They really went above and beyond with this.

 

EDIT: I had to pick this up as soon as I saw the trailer. Playing through the first few levels of the campaign and then jumping briefly back in to multiplayer, holy shit. I fucking miss this. That old school arena shooter feeling. Wow. It takes me back to those old days of messing around with the Q2 bots and playing Deathmatch against them and also playing 1 on 1 with my brother back in the day. So many games just can't seem to capture this frenetic hyper running speed of these old school shooters quite well.

Edited by Lizardcommando

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Lila Feuer said:

Funnily enough my only nitpick about this utterly fantastic release is the HUD/medkit recolor and not for the reason you'd think either.
 

  Hide contents

It should be blue, it was blue in the console versions! That said the green does pair well with other UI elements, most of which were already green.

 

 

Funnily enough, this was my exact nitpick but not for Quake 2 remaster. Rather it was for Doom Unity. Since health bonus and soulsphere in Doom are blue, I wish the sitmpacks/medkits plus signs were also blue instead of green.

Share this post


Link to post

Looks like D_DDTBLU is used in a Capture the Flag map, playing CTF rn and it started playing

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Individualised said:

Looks like D_DDTBLU is used in a Capture the Flag map, playing CTF rn and it started playing

The map is ndctf0, and it might seem oddly familiar to anyone who played ZDaemon CTF some 19 years ago...

Share this post


Link to post

Was anything changed for Hard+ aka nightmare like the Q1 remaster? The original was pretty meh, seemingly beefed up enemy health while removing pain chance on top of speeding their reaction time up.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Individualised said:

Personally I'd love to see Quake 5 include elements from both, linking together the worlds of Shub Niggurath Quake and Strogg Quake and explaining how the former progressed into the latter, maybe even a new force altogether.

This is what I’m hoping for. I’d love it if a new game started out Quake II style with a Strogg invasion of earth and such, but then as you progress further you wind up teleporting into more of the original game style with a massive tonal shift.

 

I feel it makes sense in the context of Quake 1 seeing as you start out in techbases overrun by zombies (just switch that to the Strogg) and I think it would be a fun twist on Quake II’s style to learn that the Strogg are just one enemy in a vast unfriendly universe, and they aren’t even the scary ones.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Murdoch said:

As do I. Quake II is fine, I like it a lot, but I think the original game holds more untapped potential for expansion.

Lovecraft's lore has a lot of potential for Quake, imagine a Sequel with Cthulhu (probably the most iconic entity on Lovecraft's lore) as boss.

I think if id decide to make a hypothetical Quake 1 sequel/remake, they should bring back Petersen in a lead role (thinking on his fanatism to Lovecraft :P)

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Rudolph said:

I guess... But it still featured a couple of original enemies, so it would have been a nice bonus, like Quake I's N64 port.

Bit late but the two PS1 enemies are included in the new episode!

Share this post


Link to post

Is the texture of the SSG different than the original?

 

Playing the original with the dreaded bilinear filtering OFF reveals some details that aren't in the remaster.

 

pjpojpj.jpg.6a739f137562b39ff92d55f39b0d2c5d.jpg

 

The one in the remaster has completely smooth barrels, without those rings.

 

That's peak nitpicking, i know, but i'm curious. This detail is also lost in the original when bilinear filtering is used.

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, TasAcri said:

Is the texture of the SSG different than the original?

 

Playing the original with the dreaded bilinear filtering OFF reveals some details that aren't in the remaster.

 

pjpojpj.jpg.6a739f137562b39ff92d55f39b0d2c5d.jpg

 

The one in the remaster has completely smooth barrels, without those rings.

 

That's peak nitpicking, i know, but i'm curious. This detail is also lost in the original when bilinear filtering is used.

 

 

Yes, you can see the changes for each weapon in id Vault > Weapons. There is a toggle to switch between old and new model. Also for monsters in id Vault > Enemies.

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, TasAcri said:

Playing the original with the dreaded bilinear filtering OFF

I know at the end of the day it's a matter of personal preference (I play Quake 1 with filtering on even though it's not supposed to be that way) but Quake 2 was meant to be filtered, it was a game made for hardware rendering and they chose to enable filtering on purpose. I feel like people are overcorrecting because of things like the GZDoom default settings situation by disabling filtering on older games all the time, even when they're not supposed to be that way. I mean the weapon models with filtering off just look awful to be honest. I'm not even sure if that ring is supposed to be there. If it is then it's probably an oversight that filtering masks it, because I can't imagine Quake 2's textures were made without filtering in mind, I mean just look at that floor.

Share this post


Link to post

Yes it is hilarious that many people disable texture filtering as at the time of release nobody (with 3D hardware) would have done that, as bilinear filtering was considered a huge advancement in visuals. Can someone go back in 1998-2000 tell people that chonky pixels is a cool thing in 2023 ?

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, Individualised said:

I know at the end of the day it's a matter of personal preference (I play Quake 1 with filtering on even though it's not supposed to be that way) but Quake 2 was meant to be filtered, it was a game made for hardware rendering and they chose to enable filtering on purpose. I feel like people are overcorrecting because of things like the GZDoom default settings situation by disabling filtering on older games all the time, even when they're not supposed to be that way. I mean the weapon models with filtering off just look awful to be honest. I'm not even sure if that ring is supposed to be there. If it is then it's probably an oversight that filtering masks it, because I can't imagine Quake 2's textures were made without filtering in mind, I mean just look at that floor.

 

Bilinear filtering takes away a lot of texture details in this game though, especially from enemy models. And it makes everything look too blurry. Even worse with Quake 1 IMO, it's the loss of detail and blurriness that bothers me the most. And that comes from someone who grew up with a N64.

 

It's the first thing i disable when i play the original or a source port. But yeah, i guess it's a matter of taste. I prefer the crispy extra detail over the smeared vaseline look. It's only with more modern games where i can stand any filtering. The more modern the game, the higher-resolution the textures are, which makes the filtering less intrusive. For instance, Quake 3 has sufficient texture resolution to not look completely blurry when filtering is applied.

 

Also, this preference has nothing to do with GZDoom and how awful DOOM looks with filtering.

 

 

16 minutes ago, bobbie424242 said:

Yes it is hilarious that many people disable texture filtering as at the time of release nobody (with 3D hardware) would have done that, as bilinear filtering was considered a huge advancement in visuals. Can someone go back in 1998-2000 tell people that chonky pixels is a cool thing in 2023 ?

 

I played the game in 1999 with a Voodoo3. And i played it with the default filtering but not because of choice but because i didn't know any better.

I also played Quake on the N64 and when i saw in the options that you could disable the filtering i tried it and the game looked WAY better. I remember wishing more N64 games having that.

 

I guess i'm screwed in the head :D

 

BTW, the trailers and pics i have seen so far of the remaster don't use bilinear. So maybe i'm not the only one after all.

Edited by TasAcri

Share this post


Link to post

Let's say that disabling filtering has some advantages indeed, like making colors more contrasty, stuff less blurry. A huge difference between 1998 and now is that we are using way higher resolutions, with anisotropic filtering set to the max (x16 by default) and filtering probably set to "linear mipmap linear", anti-aliasing (if enabled, not the default), so chonky pixels can look their best.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×