Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rivers

Would Like Help On Getting Started With Level Editing.

Hello I've been coming to this site for quite some time but have not bothered to post in the fourms till now. I love Doom its one of my all time favorite games and I wanted to take stab at level editing myself. I downloaded DCK from the site but it says it does not run on Win32. I know its DOS based but I don't know what to do to get it started. I'm using Windows XP so i think it would work right? If someone doesn't mind I'd like some help here seeing as how I really wanna try level editing first hand. Thanks for listening.

I'm not sure if its possible to run DCK in WinXP. WinXP is based on Windows NT and has only limited support for Dos programs. Fortunately there are other editors that do run in WinXP. I suggest you check out the editing section of this site which has links and downloads for pretty much every editor under the sun. Your best bets are probably DeepSea, Wadauthor or Deth/Zeth.

Jonathan said:

Your best bets are probably DeepSea, Wadauthor or Deth/Zeth.

Don't forget about XWE, which is free and quite user-friendly for an MS Windows user.

I use DeepSea and WadAuthor myself, but they're both shareware! If you're not planning to make huge maps then use Deepsea all the way. I have a full version of WadAuthor so I don't have to worry about it running out. If you don't want to use special features meant for certain source ports then use WinDEU! That was the first editor I ever used and it's easy to learn once you get the hang of it! Once I figured out how to make a door I was all set!

Thanks a lot everyone I've taken a stab at deepsea in the past but couldn't do anything with it cause I'm an idiot. I'm trying wadauther and WEDU16 but so far haven't been able to do anything with them. I can't even get past the first options in wadauther. Probably cause I don't have anything. Oh well I'm reading handbooks and guides to help myself. I'm definatly a n00b at this but I really wanna take a stab at it. Thanks for being patient everyone.

i run windows xp despite it having problems with the editor i use, doomcad... i just have to run a virtual machine with 98 on it when i want to edit :P

Rivers said:

Thanks a lot everyone I've taken a stab at deepsea in the past but couldn't do anything with it cause I'm an idiot. I'm trying wadauther and WEDU16 but so far haven't been able to do anything with them. I can't even get past the first options in wadauther. Probably cause I don't have anything. Oh well I'm reading handbooks and guides to help myself. I'm definatly a n00b at this but I really wanna take a stab at it. Thanks for being patient everyone.

Wow.. usually people are always compatible with one or the other, and hate the one that they don't use. I for instance, can use DeePsea, but Wadauthor baffles the hell out of me. I know others are the complete oppisite. To each his own, but good luck finding an editor that works for you. I'm hnot sure if it is an editoy, but I might want to look fomr something called 'Why'. It might be helpful ;)

Lost Soul said:

Wow.. usually people are always compatible with one or the other, and hate the one that they don't use. I for instance, can use DeePsea, but Wadauthor baffles the hell out of me. I know others are the complete oppisite. To each his own, but good luck finding an editor that works for you. I'm hnot sure if it is an editoy, but I might want to look fomr something called 'Why'. It might be helpful ;)

i can't use either proficiently and -what a surprise!- dislike both :P

Rivers said:

Thanks a lot everyone I've taken a stab at deepsea in the past but couldn't do anything with it cause I'm an idiot.

I posted a reply to this a few days ago ...and... amazingly it vanished.

Basically all you have to do to "learn" DeePsea is to click on the top Menu Help section, choose "Tutorial Interactive Demo" and follow the onscreen instructions. Anyone that can read English should be able to make a level with 2 rooms and a hallway that connects them.

That tutorial uses LineDrawing, meaning you draw each line of the level vs prebuilt sections (also easy to learn like WA prefabs or the prefabs in DeePsea) vs the tedious dot-to-dot in Windeu that makes you add at least 2 more steps to creating anything (although some think that more steps somehow are easier and more efficient<g>).

In ALL cases, when learning any editor you have to do a bit of reading to understand the basics. In other words none of it is obvious and you have to put out an effort beyond just randomly clicking and punching random keys.

Jonathan said:

I'm not sure if its possible to run DCK in WinXP. WinXP is based on Windows NT and has only limited support for Dos programs. Fortunately there are other editors that do run in WinXP. I suggest you check out the editing section of this site which has links and downloads for pretty much every editor under the sun. Your best bets are probably DeepSea, Wadauthor or Deth/Zeth.

There's a version of DETH that will work in XP?
Where? I thought DETH was strictly a DOS program which is why I still keep a dos computer under my desk for editing.

Hey man I use dck quite alot

what i do to get it running is use a boot disk and run it from dos
there is no way you can get it to run under windows becuse of some file windows uses.

Havent had much timer to tinker with it but the semester is almost over so i should have some time till I get a job. Stupid college......

you should try out the DETH or ZETH (for ZDoom) utility, very easy to learn (almost intuitial), and lacks of stupid errors.

You can contact me on ellmo@o2.pl if your'e still interested.

I learnt using this programme on my own, and I think there's none better and easier.

Brad_tilf said:

There's a version of DETH that will work in XP?
Where? I thought DETH was strictly a DOS program which is why I still keep a dos computer under my desk for editing.

Hmm, well, DETH/ZETH sometimes work in 2k/XP, and sometimes they don't. Fonr instance, they worked perfectly on XP with my old GeForce 2 MX400. As soon as I got my new GeForce4 Ti4200, they stopped working in XP, although they still run in Win98...