Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xScavengerWolfx

What other retro fps game would you want to see remastered or remade?

What counts as retro?

Because shit do be getting old now but I'm unsure if what I'm about to suggest is even retro.

I would like 2 things:

Prey (the 3DR version)

Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay and Assault on Dark Athena

Purely for one thing, the ability to actually buy the bloody things.

5 minutes ago, mrthejoshmon said:

What counts as retro?

Because shit do be getting old now but I'm unsure if what I'm about to suggest is even retro.

I would like 2 things:

Prey (the 3DR version)

Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay and Assault on Dark Athena

Purely for one thing, the ability to actually buy the bloody things.

For me anything from the early 90's up to early 2000's. Also yes i would love to see prey the 3DR version get a remake at least

1 hour ago, xScavengerWolfx said:

Arnos Port? Never heard of it

CatacombGL. Arno made that source port.

I would love a remake for old fps games like:

Blood 

Red Faction 

Unreal Gold, Unreal Tournament 99 or Unreal Tournament 3 (a shame what Epic did to one of my favorite games from the golden age time).

Quake 3 Arena (this game with a new remake and a workshop like UT would be amazing in terms of what it can be).

I saw Hexen and Heretic but i didn´t played them but i would love to saw a remake from those too after watching some playthrough from them.

Oooo i though of another good game that should get a remastered or a remake but knowing company behind the series ain't going to do it.

Battlefield: Bad Company 1 and 2

Are we talking exclusively first-person? Because if we're including early 2ks, then I'd LOVE to see the old Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction get rebuilt from the ground up.

Include the ability to fly fighter jets this time, too, seeing as the old version was made on the same engine as the old LucasArts-Pandemic Star Wars: Battlefront games.

20 minutes ago, xScavengerWolfx said:

Oooo i though of another good game that should get a remastered or a remake but knowing company behind the series ain't going to do it.

Hell yeah! PlayStation players are unfortunately shit out of luck since PS4/5 don't have PS3 backwards compatibility and none of the BC games are on PS Plus, meaning they have to get a PS3 to play them, while Xbox players have backwards compatiblity to play both of them on One and Series S/X without needing a 360. A PC port of Bad Company 1 would be kick-ass aswell.

58e60b88ca1a64156f8b4567.jpg
I'd give anything to see this game freed from the shackles of the original source code and shitty GOG porting. 

37 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

58e60b88ca1a64156f8b4567.jpg
I'd give anything to see this game freed from the shackles of the original source code and shitty GOG porting. 

Rainbow Six Vegas and Vegas 2 should get one as well, those games were badass

23 hours ago, Lippeth said:

I generally don't enjoy remastered versions of games, the original visions and art styles often take a backseat to fidelity and current trends, and I usually have an easier (and cheaper) time getting the older version to run optimally anyway. I also don't find near 1:1 remakes very enjoyable as they usually feel uncanny and tedious. That being said there are quite a few remasters and remakes that I do enjoy, namely the remakes of Resident Evil 2, and 3 (1 and 4 oddly fall into the tedious and uncanny category), and more expansive remasters like Quake 1 and 2 (2 being a game I always had difficulty getting into until playing the remastered version).

I recently played through F.E.A.R and the Extraction Point expansion, and think it still plays brilliantly and still looks and sounds better than many modern games at times. The only benefit I can see for a remaster would be to enlarge the tiny HUD UI elements at larger resolutions.

Quake 4 is another game that still runs and looks great on modern machines, albeit with a few tweaks to the cvars.

I could actually stand for Hexen 2 to get the Nightdive treatment or something similarly tasteful. It's usually a more difficult puzzle to get different ports running the way I like than the puzzles in the game itself.

Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 is another game that could benefit from a tasteful remaster, and again more for optimization reasons than audiovisual.

Quake 4 doesn't need an official remaster because you can just download a mod that neural network a.i. upscales the textures and the game looks fantastic. I did the same for it's older brother Doom 3.

I agree, I think it's ridiculous to remaster F.E.A.R. That game looks great, so does Half-Life 2. Shit, the remake of Half-Life 1 aka "Black Mesa" is literally just a Half-Life 1 mod for Half-Life 2.

When I played Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 some years back, there was an HD mod that ported a lot of models from Jedi Outcast as well as added custom textures. Eventually I decided I would rather play with the original 1997 look anyway. 

There also was a fan-made HD remaster of the first level of Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2, and the first lightsaber duel level. I was in the Discord following the project for a while. Check it out: 

4 hours ago, xScavengerWolfx said:

Bad Company 2 came out in 2010 and uses Frostbite, the game looks amazing as is. Just ridiculous.

23 hours ago, Panzermann11 said:

Do you seriously not get what I'm talking about? I'm not just asking for graphical improvements nor simple ports to modern consoles. Look closer. I also requested for additional content, gameplay additions and other improvements aswell. Don't just tell me to go play the original games like that. Plus, remasters don't nessecarily mean re-releasing on modern platforms and/or graphical enhancements, what I'd like is to see remasters done with respect and care to the source material. The last thing I want to see is the characters representing my favorite games get kicked out of the good re-release club.

Don't get me wrong, Half-Life 2's graphics might hold up even today, but at the same time one can't help but feel like it's a bit dated. While I might want some graphical improvements, I want it to be done with respect for the graphical direction of Half-Life 2. No over-the-place texture and model changes.

"Hold up today" my ass, the game looks amazing graphically.

Oh no, the humanity! A game from 2004 looks like it was made in 2004. Yeah, and your point? 

"feel a little dated." Why is that a problem? Things should look and feel like the era they're from. It would be weird if it looked like today's graphics.

What additional content? Gameplay additions?

Okay, if you want new content, new gameplay, and new graphics, then we call that a new game. If you want more of a particular series, it makes zero sense to remake the same fucking game you have already played. It's going to be identical. It's going to be boring. And if you need to change what it was to make it enjoyable today, then it's not the game that's the problem; it's you who has the problem that you can't accept it for what it really is. If you're really that fickle then what's the point in upping the graphics to modern standards? Aging is inevitable, are you going to keep remaking the same game for all eternity every few years?

It makes more sense to do something new that hasn't been done before. Make a new sequel, if you must continue the series.

Even that is questionable. Way too many games suffer from sequel-itis where they just pump out new games year after year in a series than ran its course ages ago, just because they keep selling.

On 8/18/2023 at 2:46 PM, Lippeth said:

I recently played through F.E.A.R and the Extraction Point expansion, and think it still plays brilliantly and still looks and sounds better than many modern games at times. The only benefit I can see for a remaster would be to enlarge the tiny HUD UI elements at larger resolutions.

They could bring content exclusive to console versions of the game, such as instant action, additional missions and multiplayer maps, and both weapons exclusive for each console, Xbox 360's dual SMGs and PS3's automatic shotgun.

Edited by Panzermann11

Ok QuaketallicA I'm going to say this once and only once. You really need to stop being a up tight fucking asshole. Your really trying to start shit with the other members? Your comments are really starting to aggravate me right now, you need to either just accept to learn other peoples options and everyone will have a different option about something or just shut the fuck up and leave the thread.

If you keep going with this i will have a admin close this thread and that will ruin everyone's fun.

On 8/19/2023 at 3:41 PM, xScavengerWolfx said:

Ok QuaketallicA I'm going to say this once and only once. You really need to stop being a up tight fucking asshole. Your really trying to start shit with the other members? Your comments are really starting to aggravate me right now, you need to either just accept to learn other peoples options and everyone will have a different option about something or just shut the fuck up and leave the thread.

If you keep going with this i will have a admin close this thread and that will ruin everyone's fun.

Yeah, that pretty much what I was gonna say. QuaketallicA, I tried to talk to you about what remasters are and what I wanted from them, and you just continued to ignore me, you only believe that they're the same game, just with different textures and any change equals bad.

Edited by Panzermann11

Speaking of admins hey can you guys do me a favor if this gets out of hand could you please close the thread down until it cools down. I feel like QuaketallicA is trying to start a flame war with everyone commenting on my post.

I feel like it might get out of hand. I do apologized to everyone that if this gets closed down because some asshole had to come in here and start flame wars with everyone here. 

5 minutes ago, Panzermann11 said:

Yeah, that pretty much what I was gonna say. QuaketallicA, I tried to talk to you about what remasters are, and you just continued to ignore me, you just believe that they're the same game, just with hi-res textures.

It's ok i'm about ready to at a mod to close this thread down until it's cooled down enough to be reopened. I made this thread so we can all just bullshit and have fun, not start flame wars and ignore what we're talking about.

If it dose keep from him, just at one of the admins and tell them "hey can you close the thread for a bit until it's cools off" and let them know i'm ok with it getting closed off.

On 8/17/2023 at 9:53 PM, Dynamo said:

I would like to see some PS1 ones: Disruptor, PO'ed, Hybrid. They have little in the way of an audience, but it would be great to play them with improved PC controls and framerate, so just for that I'd love a remaster or a port of any of those. I am also partial to Eradicator for DOS, a very cool game that's sadly still DOS-only.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/hybrid-tc Well, not a remaster, but speak of the devil... Can't believe this was posted so shortly after I namedropped Hybrid.

Edited by Dynamo

I'm a little bit confused as to what counts as a "remaster" -- is being a source port/engine recreation with upped screen resolutions and optimizations enough to count as one? Or does it need to have more significant changes, like higher resolution textures and stuff like this?

Anyway, just (hopefully) for the benefit of everyone interested, I thought I'd list a few projects related to games mentioned here:

On 8/17/2023 at 11:17 PM, The_SloVinator said:

Powerslave DOS version

From my experience, PCEXhumed (based on EDuke32) works pretty well, and you can use AI-upscaled textures if you want, although I personally don't like 'em very much.

On 8/17/2023 at 11:17 PM, The_SloVinator said:

Blake Stone games

BStone is a pretty faithful source port as far as I can tell. But again, perhaps you meant a full-fledged remake with a modern engine and full 3D characters? I suppose this could actually work out well, Blake Stone has a very solid gameplay concept that could transition well to a more modern FPS environment without losing its aesthetics and pace.

18 hours ago, Vanilla+Unicorn said:

Wolfenstein 3D, maybe?

Anyone here tried Wolfram?

33 minutes ago, MrFlibble said:

BStone is a pretty faithful source port as far as I can tell. But again, perhaps you meant a full-fledged remake with a modern engine and full 3D characters? I suppose this could actually work out well, Blake Stone has a very solid gameplay concept that could transition well to a more modern FPS environment without losing its aesthetics and pace.

I'm more of a remaster guy, so I meant a decent remaster. Everything should stay the same with some quality of life improvements & modern system support.

Thanks for the source port info. I tried Powerslave with Raze & it worked smoothly till the final map when it decided to crash so much, it was unbeatable. I'll give PCExhumed a try.

Sin (1998, Ritual Entertainment)

and 

Blood II: The Chosen (1998, Monolith).

I remember Sin as an overall great game with strong settings and fun gameplay, so it would probably only need some retouching.

Blood II however would need some more fixes:

- rebalance the difficulty levels (one difficulty level was way too easy and the next became frustrating after some time when stronger enemies instakilled you with their blast damage attacks)

- get rid of the train levels (except the starting level) and replace them with someting more worthwhile

- more diverse NPC models with their own voices (or maybe just get rid of the bettter part of NPCs...)

Edited by Tetzlaff

3 minutes ago, Tetzlaff said:

Sin (1998, Ritual Entertainment)

and 

Blood II: The Chosen (1998, Monolith).

I remember Sin as an overall great game with strong settings and fun gameplay, so it would probably only need some retouching.

Blood II however would need some more fixes:

- rebalance the difficulty levels (one difficulty level was way to easy and the next became frustrating after some time when stronger enemies instakilled you with their blast damage attacks)

- get rid of the train levels (except the starting level) and replace them with someting more worthwhile

- more diverse NPC models with their own voices (or maybe just get rid of the bettter part of NPCs...)

If i remember right when i was watching the Deep Realms showcase i remember seeing the new Phantom Fury trailer and i think the main guy from Sin is in it. I don't know if it was him or not i couldn't tell ya since i never played sin

3 hours ago, xScavengerWolfx said:

If i remember right when i was watching the Deep Realms showcase i remember seeing the new Phantom Fury trailer and i think the main guy from Sin is in it.

You're right, that's John Blade at the end.

Klingon Honor Guard

It's one of those I really want to play again, but that game was such a technological disaster that I haven't been able to play it for most of the time it has been existing.

20 hours ago, MrFlibble said:

I'm a little bit confused as to what counts as a "remaster" -

Port is some form of updated code using the same resources. Examples include Doom Unity, Blood Fresh Supply and Quake Live.

Remaster involves some form updated assets, usually graphics. The recent Quake and Quake II releases are perfect examples.

Remake means a from scratch rebuild of everything. Best example of this i can think of is Tomb Raider Anniversary. 

Obviously there can be cross over with remaster and port. Also i don't believe ROTT Ludicrous Edition technically qualifies as a remaster because the assets are unaltered, but it does include a lot of new content.